Rumor: Salary Cap Could Be Up To 88 Million in 2020-21

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I've always been a fan making a big signing (not a signing that spends a lot of money AKA Holland and his long term contracts to mediocre players, but a signing of a big time player if available) to help expedite the rebuild. It's free assets after all. I think its very rare a team is able to contend on just their draft picks alone.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Detroit would have around 44.2M left to spend, as they only has 6 FW, 3 DEF and 1 G signed.

What's the minimum number of players we can run out there? Probably need one more D-Man and one more goalie and I'm good running 6 forwards, 2 D-Men, and two goalies. COuldn't be worst than what we have now.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Feel like this projection is meaningless until we know the impact of corona.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Detroit would have around 44.2M left to spend, as they only has 6 FW, 3 DEF and 1 G signed.

We could have 80 million in cap space and still not sign anyone. Free agent signings are a two way street, can't force anyone to come here unless they massively overpay, which isn't a good tactic either. I'd honestly just wait, sign a goalie to split time with Bernier next year, sign a LHD that can play top 4 and sign the RFAs. Other than that, I'd wait one more year before making a significant free agency push.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Time to take other teams horrible contracts for some beautiful 1st round picks

This. Target teams in either a serious crunch in terms of trying to resign their RFA's or are in the contending window that need to free up space who are going to need space to work with to land an impact FA.

Reactions: 13to40

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Looking at the upcoming UFA market, there are only 3 players that seem worth signing to serious contacts, Alex Pietrangelo, Taylor Hall, and Tyson Barrie, and I doubt anyone of these guys will be willing to come to Detroit. On the other hand, I do like this idea:

Time to take other teams horrible contracts for some beautiful 1st round picks

Reactions: 13to40

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why have one $10 million dollar goalie when you can have two?

giphy.gif

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Be a good year to invest in more young, low risk, high reward type players... Over seas UFAs and players on 1 year contracts looking to bounce back. Leave lots of cap space to take on salary when the rest of the NHL teams put themselves into salary cap crunches.

Move the 1 year deals at the deadline if they are worthy like we did with Vanek the first try.. Worst case we hope they are better leaders than our current group for the youth movement. The overseas UFAs can boom or bust back home, as long as we leave room for internal growth and movement into the big leagues.

No sense in investing huge money into UFAs next summer unless they are truly elite or Yzerman thinks they can fit into the core somehow long term. Flexibility is something we haven't had for a long time and cap space is as big of an asset in the cap era as a player is at times.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've always been a fan making a big signing (not a signing that spends a lot of money AKA Holland and his long term contracts to mediocre players, but a signing of a big time player if available) to help expedite the rebuild. It's free assets after all. I think its very rare a team is able to contend on just their draft picks alone.

A "big time player" is not coming to Detroit as a UFA without an obscene overpayment in dollars and term.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Rather than one big target, I'd love to see a pair of legit second tier defensemen in free agency. There's probably a couple of other stay-at-home types I'm missing, but I'm curious what combination of Brodie/Vatanen/Hamonic/Shattenkirk would be willing to go to Detroit, and at what price.

Add two legit NHL players, get DDK healthy, have Hronek with a year under his belt, Nemeth (and everybody else) gets properly slotted, Lindstrom has shown flashes, maybe even bring up Seider at some point... suddenly you go from historically awful to at least tolerable on defense.

Reactions: Borlag

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Awesome! More money to pour into a huge goalie contract.

We could easily take on Bob's contract if necessary...

But Dmen can play more minutes than forwards. Just make it 3 and they can rotate.

I guess that's fair; can't have all your cap tied up, after all. Gotta leave room for that one injury that will likely never happen to the Wings.

Feel like this projection is meaningless until we know the impact of corona.

It's just a shitty beer, shouldn't have too much impact on the salary cap.

Oh, the other one. Right.

Looking at the upcoming UFA market, there are only 3 players that seem worth signing to serious contacts, Alex Pietrangelo, Taylor Hall, and Tyson Barrie, and I doubt anyone of these guys will be willing to come to Detroit. On the other hand, I do like this idea:

I'd throw a big contract at Piet, but no thanks to the other two. I'm still banging the Kyle Turris drum, and the rest can be used for a goalie and RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad