Speculation: Salary cap circumvention through corporate backers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-will-stamkos-sign-with-leafs-or-stay-with-lightning/

Kypreos suggests that off the books player incentives through corporate backers is a means by which certain markets, namely Toronto, are able to offer players more money than smaller markets that lack this corporate backing. I am not sure what the CBA has to say on this but it would seem to me to be cap circumvention. Is this a real problem or is Kypreos out to lunch again?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I'm not well informed enough, but I do know this was already locked on the main board

Bangers

May 31, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-will-stamkos-sign-with-leafs-or-stay-with-lightning/

Kypreos suggests that off the books player incentives through corporate backers is a means by which certain markets, namely Toronto, are able to offer players more money than smaller markets that lack this corporate backing. I am not sure what the CBA has to say on this but it would seem to me to be cap circumvention. Is this a real problem or is Kypreos out to lunch again?

I'm thinking Kypreos is just being Kypreos (ie. a moron). Has Toronto gotten any great FAs lately without overpaying? Other large markets (Chicago with Kane/Toews, Boston, etc,) don't seem to get players to take massive discounts either.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

this is covered under the CBA

all contracts players sign are reviewed by the both the NHL and the NHLPA

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
I'm thinking Kypreos is just being Kypreos (ie. a moron). Has Toronto gotten any great FAs lately without overpaying? Other large markets (Chicago with Kane/Toews, Boston, etc,) don't seem to get players to take massive discounts either.

It does have a conspiracy theory vibe to it, but also something I could see occuring. That is if backers stand to benefit from star power and team performance.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
this is covered under the CBA

all contracts players sign are reviewed by the both the NHL and the NHLPA

He suggests that it wouldnt be a part of any contract with a player and team. Just a sort of gentlemens agreement between teams and thier corporate backers that only players that play for them will be offered certian lucurative sponsorship deals.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This was posted on the main boards about it.

Section 26.3 of the CBA:
(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements,
promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or
understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without
limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take
any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or
Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the
provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the
financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range,
Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.
(i) Any act by a Club Actor that, if committed by the Club would constitute a
Circumvention, shall be imputed to the Club and shall be deemed to be a
Circumvention by the Club.
(b) No Player or Player Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any
agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of
intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including
ARTICLE 26 26.3-26.3
without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail
to take any action whatsoever, if the Player knows or reasonably should have known (measured
by the objective standard of the "reasonable Player under the circumstances") that either (i) or (ii)
is intended to and has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement
or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without
limitation, provisions with respect to the Team Payroll Range, the Entry Level System and/or
Free Agency.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
This was posted on the main boards about it.

Section 26.3 of the CBA:

Are corporate backers/sponsors defined as club actors? This would seem to settle the matter if thats the case. Kypreos will literally say anything and seems to suffer zero consequences regardless of the truthfulnes.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Are corporate backers/sponsors defined as club actors? This would seem to settle the matter if thats the case. Kypreos will literally say anything and seems to suffer zero consequences regardless of the truthfulnes.

Looks like a club actor is defined as "any owner, shareholder, Club Affiliated Entity, the NHL or third party acting at the behest of a Club".

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In a way Kypreos will be right on this if Stamkos signs in Toronto, or at least it will be impossible to prove him wrong.

I bet a Stamkos poster boy in Toronto could net 2-3 times the amount of money he makes in Tampa from sources other than his club. Well, maybe not 2-3 times, but a lot. That's just the market difference.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Why is Toronto obsessed with Stamkos? His best seasons are behind him.

He's a 30 goal 60-something point player.

You don't think maybe your exaggerating a bit?

I sincerely doubt his best seasons are behind him. He's only 25 still, scored 40+ goals last year, and is on pace for his worst season since his rookie year primarily due to overall team struggles, a coach he doesn't see eye to eye with, and key team injuries. He's probably a bit overrated, but a guy with the type of skills like Stamkos has(elite shot, goal scoring instincts) is very valuable to any team if they can get him, and may become even more so when the NHL goes hard after goaltending equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad