Salary Cap: Salary Cap $81.5M

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Retooling is a strategy. Once you've chosen this strategy, you make a plan on how best to implement it.

On its own "I'm going to retool" is the same as "I'm going to be a millionaire". Totally meaningless without a detailed plan.

I don't believe that Bergevin has ever demonstrated that he's capable of choosing a strategy, committing to it, planning it in detail and seeing it through to fruition.

Yes he has!!

For his wardrobe!

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Looks like some people in here are already preparing excuses for MB’s imminent failure of an off-season lmao. Let’s be honest, if he doesn’t take advantage of that cap-space situation (he probably won’t considering it’s MB we’re talking about) and fails to improve the team once again, there’s no excuse. He has to be fired within the next year.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Looks like some people in here are already preparing excuses for MB’s imminent failure of an off-season lmao. Let’s be honest, if he doesn’t take advantage of that cap-space situation (he probably won’t considering it’s MB we’re talking about) and fails to improve the team once again, there’s no excuse. He has to be fired within the next year.

If we don't make the playoffs next year, he'll beat Houle's Habs record for least playoff rounds won in a 5 year span.

Watch Molsac not fire him despite that.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
oh no we lost out on trading for a potential 2nd round pick with a 20% chance to become a NHLer who could maybe be as good as...Paul Byron. In a few years.

Paul Byron is an inspirational player and impressive as hell. He puts up very respectable numbers for a guy his size and his ice time. He's very valuable to most teams.

But he has limitations, despite his production and the fact that he plays pretty big for his size. He plays big but he's small, that's a fact. Very small, and we already have a lot of other small guys playing bigger roles on the team.

At some point you need to have some bigger guys cause there are certain players and dmen in the league that will just shut down small guys. Plus Byron has had injury issues, this is his 2nd shortened year since he's been here.

This is why once our young guys start coming up, the first guy to get bumped will be Byron. You may as well take advantage of his value while it's probably the best it will be.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't see either of these scenarios materializing. But I like the fact you're aiming big.

Ehlers & Kulikov & 2020 2nd for Drouin & return of Jets 2020 4th rounder. Then we buy out Kulikov (2 years, $1,444,444 per year).

Meier we offer sheet, 7 years, $52,5m. Cap hit: $7,5m. Offer sheet: 1st, 2nd & 3rd. (1st 3 years at $7m, 2 years at $7,75m & 2 years at $8m).

We need to go big and take advantage of these teams.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Ehlers & Kulikov & 2020 2nd for Drouin & return of Jets 2020 4th rounder. Then we buy out Kulikov (2 years, $1,444,444 per year).

Meier we offer sheet, 7 years, $52,5m. Cap hit: $7,5m. Offer sheet: 1st, 2nd & 3rd. (1st 3 years at $7m, 2 years at $7,75m & 2 years at $8m).

Yeah, no chance of the Jets doing that first one. They could certainly get a better deal if they shopped Ehlers.

And 2nd one has us giving up 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd. I like Meier, but that's a little too rich for my blood, especially since you cannot lottery protect the 1sts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best offer sheet deal for Meier is 6 years in terms at $7M. (6x7/5 = $8.4M). That's the threshold where the compensation is a 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Anything over $8.4M is a extra 1st which becomes very risky then

Sharks have $15M with 15 players signed ($82M cap). $7M AAV reduces the cap space to $8M with 7 players to sign. This means they would not have space to sign Pavelski or any top 6F and they also need to give a raise to Labanc.

If we dangle Suzuki and a 3rd for Meier where they get a grade A prospects trending very well on a cheap ELC. This would free up space for them to bring back Pavelski and not be so tight against the cap. I don't like trading Suzuki but I think he is not as good as some think he will be. He's a talented offensive player that does not play a physical game. I think he will be a top 6F but not as good as some think he will be and at this stage, he appears to be someone who puts fans in the seats in the regular season but disappears in a 7 game playoff war.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the Jets trade Ehlers, they will be looking for a RD.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1) What? Of course I can. I think he could have and should have done differently, so my opinion is he had a bad deadline.

2) The idea of trading the guys playing above their heads is to compile futures. It's not meant to be 1-for-1 hockey deals. Teams aren't looking to take on salary/term anymore, they're looking to unload. Nobody is going to want Shaw and his atrocious deal, at least they shouldn't. We need to pray for a sucker now.

I think that Thompson is really nothing special, nothing important, and he's of no consequence. He's not going to tilt the game one way or another.

1) You can have whatever opinion you want. Its definitely a hot take if your position is that he should of done differently. Evaluate the job he did and the information we have to judge his performance, not what he might have done. Imagine applying that standard to players.

2) What kind of futures were you expecting exactly? 2nds and 3rds? Even with late 1sts, odds are you're getting a lesser piece, let alone something that is comparable. Look at what the recent market for guys like that is. Better to keep them and see if you can swing a big quantity for quality trade for guy that wants out of his current situation (like ROR). The market wasn't that great in the end.

Retooling is a strategy. Once you've chosen this strategy, you make a plan on how best to implement it.

On its own "I'm going to retool" is the same as "I'm going to be a millionaire". Totally meaningless without a detailed plan.

I don't believe that Bergevin has ever demonstrated that he's capable of choosing a strategy, committing to it, planning it in detail and seeing it through to fruition.

Well, he's been executing a retool pretty well so far. He's restocked the prospect pool and made the team younger all while seeing the team be more competitive, which is what you expect.

Will he see it through? I don't know. I'm not really confident in him, but I'm prepared to offer props when he performs well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I like and respect Bob but he is clearly a Leafs fan. Remember his 20 man roster and a $85M cap without factoring in Kessel's cap hit? Definitely panic mode in the Leafs management office going on right now. Dubas is on the phone and I think they get humbled with their plans and have to settle on multiple situations.

This is with Marleau, Gardiner, and Johnson gone and a 21 man roster with a $82M cap. If they have short term injuries and want to call a player up, it creates major headaches cause the player who is hurt would not be on LTIR and the player being called up chews up the cap space left bit by bit. If this happens throughout the year multiple times, they are in major trouble.

ylTZHJJ.jpg

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, no chance of the Jets doing that first one. They could certainly get a better deal if they shopped Ehlers.

And 2nd one has us giving up 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd. I like Meier, but that's a little too rich for my blood, especially since you cannot lottery protect the 1sts.

1st, 2nd & 3rd for compensation on Meier.

Considering what Jets got for Trouba ....

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Interesting since people don't seem to listen to MB but he had a PC where he told you his plan and direction.

He said he isn't trading youth or top picks at TDL and would only make a hockey trade if it made sense.

That was the plan, that was the direction. Thats what he did. He moved some useless crap for Weal/Thompson/Weise, and kept all his picks and prospects. No hockey deals came up (like Petry for a top forward or top D) so he didn't make the moves.

Reactions: Archijerej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad