Salary Cap: Salary Cap $81.5M

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Fowler ........yuck

I don't know... I think Fowler is a good buy-low, Ducks-in-cap-trouble kind of candidate.

If Weber made it work with under-brainpowered Emelin and undersized Mete, what does he do with good ol' Canadian boy Fowler?

Bergevin might lowball them a bit to start the process, but hopefully he gets a reasonable discount on Fowler in the end. No?

Decent cap hit given the circumstances (this thread), decent potential to get back to top 2D status. High end project.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
We cannot go to crazy helping other teams with bad contract bcz next year we will need to sing Domi, Juulsen, Mete and
Evans. The year after that Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Petry

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There's almost zero chance that something doesn't make sense for our cap this summer if the cap is as low as they say it'll be there will be tons of young assests given up in cap dumps trades.

Realistically do you really think Bergevin is the type of GM to make trades like that?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I don't know... I think Fowler is a good buy-low, Ducks-in-cap-trouble kind of candidate.

If Weber made it work with under-brainpowered Emelin and undersized Mete, what does he do with good ol' Canadian boy Fowler?

Bergevin might lowball them a bit to start the process, but hopefully he gets a reasonable discount on Fowler in the end. No?

Decent cap hit given the circumstances (this thread), decent potential to get back to top 2D status. High end project.

The question is not if its a good low/buy Because , Ducks are pretty close to a rebuild.
Also Fowler is a 30 points d-man with Average defensive skill. (imo Petry is alot better in his zone compared to him)
Hes signed for 6.5m FOR 7 more years , He has a 3 team NTC

The terms are way to long for what he gives. Habs should be targeting players like Leddy or Ghost instead who would cost way less and give the same production. Avoid player like Fowler and Edler asking for 3-4 years full NTC.

This will f*** our team more than anything.

Reactions: calder candidate

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We cannot go to crazy helping other teams with bad contract bcz next year we will need to sing Domi, Juulsen, Mete and

The only two significant raise among them are Gally & Domi. We're talking around 7-8 mil added to the cap.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

Domi we'll see after this season
Juulsen will not even get 2m.
Mete has 0 goals in 120 games , he cant ask for 3m
Evans is a AHLER at the moment we speak.
Gallagher we'll see , But i would never give 7.5m to him. I love him alot but giving him this kind of contract would be terrible.
Kotkaniemi... we'll see in 2 years. If hes worth 7m in 2 years that means we found our #1 center for a longtime.
Poehling... 1 lucky NHL game that didnt mean anything is 2 early.
Petry can easily be traded.

Reactions: stanley25

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The question is not if its a good low/buy Because , Ducks are pretty close to a rebuild.
Also Fowler is a 30 points d-man with Average defensive skill. (imo Petry is alot better in his zone compared to him)
Hes signed for 6.5m FOR 7 more years , He has a 3 team NTC

The terms are way to long for what he gives. Habs should be targeting players like Leddy or Ghost instead who would cost way less and give the same production. Avoid player like Fowler and Edler asking for 3-4 years full NTC.

This will **** our team more than anything.

Why 'way less'? Aren't they making one to a few less mill than Fowler right now, and due for substantial raises soon?

I don't see how you're discounting the advantage of a buy-low trade on the basis that the other team is 'close to a rebuild', just don't see the connection. Rip 'em off, kill 'em, no mercy, they've enjoyed Perry & Getz for so many years - we need some assets and they need cap space.

Ask Chez to text Cam. Cam phones Chez. Cam signs. (his mountain-stare goes over the cell network, too)

Flyers fans complained of brain cramps with Ghost, ice cold periods as well. Isles fans don't seem to really want to trade Leddy but they'll be looking for a GREAT piece to replace him with up front... I don't think Bergevin goes in that territory.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Why 'way less'? Aren't they making one to a few less mill than Fowler right now, and due for substantial raises soon?

I don't see how you're discounting the advantage of a buy-low trade on the basis that the other team is 'close to a rebuild', just don't see the connection. Rip 'em off, kill 'em, no mercy, they've enjoyed Perry & Getz for so many years - we need some assets and they need cap space.

Ask Chez to text Cam. Cam phones Chez. Cam signs. (his mountain-stare goes over the cell network, too)

Flyers fans complained of brain cramps with Ghost, ice cold periods as well. Isles fans don't seem to really want to trade Leddy but they'll be looking for a GREAT piece to replace him with up front... I don't think Bergevin goes in that territory.
fans are not gms tho

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Now after 2 years Bergevin finally holds the cards...very very sneaky of him. :vhappy:

All the GM’s will be begging him for that valuable Cap Space. :handclap:
Go Habs Go!! :towel:

I would love to add a second 1st round pick in this or next year's draft by taking on a contract.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It's troubling at the rate the cap goes up every year in the NHL...seems more like the growth you'd associate with a 2nd rate sports league, not a major one.
The cap is link to revenue, most of the revenue are from the TV deals that are already signed for multiple years so in normal that the cap is pretty stable between deals...

Reactions: 417

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK

I'm not keen on re-signing Gally for the $$$ and term he's likely to want. I could well be wrong, but unless the guy is made out of Tungsten his game style and (lack of) size doesn't bode well and is very likely to wear him down early age-wise. Hurts to say it because he's been and still continues to be a Trojan for us, but there it is.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's been floating huge amounts of cap space for 2 years and we have one 3rd liner to show for it.

What a genius!

Plenty of time still, I would exercise some patience before rushing to judgement. It is amazing how some will find negatives in positive moves,,,,,,almost like there is a bias in play.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Plenty of time still, I would exercise some patience before rushing to judgement. It is amazing how some will find negatives in positive moves,,,,,,almost like there is a bias in play.

What exactly are you looking for here? People to just forget the awful decisions Bergevin made for the better part of a decade all because he finally had one decent offseason? Is this supposed to mean all is fixed now, he finally understands how to be a good GM in today's NHL? We should kiss his feet now along with the rest of you because for once he didn't screw up?

Nobody is looking for negatives in positive moves. We look at things globally. One good move in a sea of screw ups doesn't mean we should be happy.

Reactions: Tighthead

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The only two significant raise among them are Gally & Domi. We're talking around 7-8 mil added to the cap.

It's becoming very apparent that the cap is causing severe limitation to most if not all clubs now or in the near future. Practically making a competitive team relying on good fortune of recent draftees to put them over the top.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What exactly are you looking for here? People to just forget the awful decisions Bergevin made for the better part of a decade all because he finally had one decent offseason? Is this supposed to mean all is fixed now, he finally understands how to be a good GM in today's NHL? We should kiss his feet now along with the rest of you because for once he didn't screw up?

Nobody is looking for negatives in positive moves. We look at things globally. One good move in a sea of screw ups doesn't mean we should be happy.

I am not a Bergevin supporter or a detractor per se. There is evidence to support both tribes, but I do know that his last season was very good. Even if you choose to hate his previous body of work, you have to at least acknowledge the distinct possibility that he has learned from previous mistakes and has grown. It is just unhealthy, anti social and unproductive behaviour to continue to persecute others for past indiscretions despite clear evidence of improvement and reform.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I am not a Bergevin supporter or a detractor per se. There is evidence to support both tribes, but I do know that his last season was very good. Even if you choose to hate his previous body of work, you have to at least acknowledge the distinct possibility that he has learned from previous mistakes and has grown. It is just unhealthy, anti social and unproductive behaviour to continue to persecute others for past indiscretions despite clear evidence of improvement and reform.

Here is where we disagree. I think we are still FAR away from "clear evidence of improvement and reform." I don't even think he had a particularly good trade deadline and he deserves to eat some shit for that.

By the way, I'm not a Bergevin detractor or part of any tribe. I'm a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, that's it.

Reactions: Tighthead

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Here is where we disagree. I think we are still FAR away from "clear evidence of improvement and reform." I don't even think he had a particularly good trade deadline and he deserves to eat some **** for that.

By the way, I'm not a Bergevin detractor or part of any tribe. I'm a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, that's it.

You're going to have to expand on that, because that looks like a pretty hot take.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->