Salary calculations

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Okay, here's the last two checkpoints for the salary caps and min OV's. I uploaded the full calculations on the groups so if you're interested in how I got these numbers feel free to check it out and let me know if I made a mistake. I already caught won mistake I made with OTT's cap calc from check point 1 so again, it would be nice if everyone took a look at their roster and vetted for any more mistakes.

Also, I've made this sheet automated so if anyone wants to do a salary calc or min OV calculation they can do it themselves.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Adil, I went through my team and I think you only took 5 defenceman in salary calculation. On January 10th, 2008 I traded Wesley and brought up Tyutin that day. Can you please look into this and fix my rating.

Thanks

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Adil, I went through my team and I think you only took 5 defenceman in salary calculation. On January 10th, 2008 I traded Wesley and brought up Tyutin that day. Can you please look into this and fix my rating.

Thanks

Hi Hasnain, You're correct there, I found the problem. Currently, if you're missing 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 6D, 2G it'll do the calculation on less players. I've corrected this problem, so that it defaults a 55 OV for any player in that situation. For your problem Hasnain, since the 5D was due to a trade I'll move Tyutin up as a Pro and do your OV calc with him.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
i cant open the file.

Which file? The one in this thread or the one I uploaded to the Yahoo Groups folders? BTW, the file in this thread is just a summary of the calculations, if you want how the calculations were made you need to download the zip file I uploaded, unzip it and open the individual excel files.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Same here. The link just brings me to a blank HTML page.

Okay, I've fixed the file to account for missing player positions and I've uploaded the excel sheets to the workgroups... please check out your team and let me know if there are any more issues. Here's a summary of where we stand:

Code:
	 Check point 1 	 Check point 2 	Check Point 1	Check Point 2
COL	 40,860,620 	 43,295,620 	77.4	77.5
CHI	 34,537,500 	 34,537,500 	73.4	73.65
STL	 41,346,875 	 43,738,750 	78.4	78.45
BOS	 40,850,000 	 37,200,000 	74.5	74.5
MTL	 37,662,500 	 32,062,500 	74.15	73.4
VAN	 42,288,750 	 42,288,750 	77.5	77.45
WAS	 33,565,934 	 33,065,934 	72.45	73.15
PHX	 25,647,500 	 25,447,500 	71.5	71.15
NJD	 39,367,500 	 39,367,500 	77.6	77.6
ANH	 38,942,500 	 38,942,500 	75.5	75.5
CGY	 44,462,500 	 43,425,000 	76.8	76.9
PHI	 40,712,500 	 40,762,500 	75.2	75.85
CAR	 44,213,750 	 43,938,750 	76	75.9
NYI	 34,295,000 	 34,095,625 	72.75	71.8
CBJ	 43,061,875 	 43,142,875 	76.15	76.15
LAK	 23,507,500 	 24,370,000 	71.1	71.75
TOR	 42,692,750 	 43,822,750 	76.2	76.5
TAM	 38,150,000 	 38,990,000 	75.3	75.6
EDM	 44,275,000 	 44,200,000 	76.65	76.6
FLA	 39,840,930 	 41,663,430 	75.8	76.2
PIT	 28,359,322 	 28,359,322 	76.1	76.1
NSH	 18,836,250 	 18,836,250 	74.05	74.05
NYR	 37,432,500 	 41,232,500 	75.35	75.7
DET	 43,656,250 	 43,731,250 	76.9	77.15
BUF	 42,225,000 	 42,225,000 	77	77
OTT	 43,547,500 	 43,547,500 	76.6	76.8
SJS	 42,566,250 	 44,253,750 	75.85	75.9
DAL	 42,035,000 	 37,985,000 	73.85	73.9
ATL	 31,495,000 	 31,775,000 	71.15	71.4
MIN	 37,122,040 	 37,172,040 	74.8	74.8

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Quick question regarding the last salary/MinOV calculation... What do I do with waived players? I recall there was a post regarding adding in any waiver salaries but without the search function I can't seem to find it... I'm thinking off just taking the last checkpoint and adding in the salaries or substracting the OV's, does that sound right?

Also, do we have a list of guys who were claimed off waivers? I was planning to do the calculation for both the OV and the salary calculation at the end of the season for the last checkpoint due to waivers but I'm not sure who's been claimed off waivers since there's no list up. I guess I can take the last roster and find the waived players but if theres a list out there it would save me some time.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Quick question regarding the last salary/MinOV calculation... What do I do with waived players? I recall there was a post regarding adding in any waiver salaries but without the search function I can't seem to find it... I'm thinking off just taking the last checkpoint and adding in the salaries or substracting the OV's, does that sound right?

Also, do we have a list of guys who were claimed off waivers? I was planning to do the calculation for both the OV and the salary calculation at the end of the season for the last checkpoint due to waivers but I'm not sure who's been claimed off waivers since there's no list up. I guess I can take the last roster and find the waived players but if theres a list out there it would save me some time.

hmm.. I didn't know that the salary of waiverclaims after the deadline still counted towards the cap. Wasn't the final checkpoint at the trade deadline? I hope this doesn't drive me up over the cap, since that was not my intention and I wouldn't have claimed Holik if I knew of this "rule".

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
hmm.. I didn't know that the salary of waiverclaims after the deadline still counted towards the cap. Wasn't the final checkpoint at the trade deadline? I hope this doesn't drive me up over the cap, since that was not my intention and I wouldn't have claimed Holik if I knew of this "rule".

Well I was penalized last year for minimum OV after waiving Brian Leetch just before the end of the season. I don't see why teams should have advantage by claiming waiver player and bring their cap above $44M.

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
I thought also that last checkpoint was trade deadline!!

Somewhere i saw when the 3 checkpoints are and did my moves according to those.

I definately would have kept my hands off waived players if they are counted against cap

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
My suggestion would be that trade deadline should also be a deadline of waiving players. This way, no teams would have unfair advantage during the playoffs or making it to the playoff position.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
My suggestion would be that trade deadline should also be a deadline of waiving players. This way, no teams would have unfair advantage during the playoffs or making it to the playoff position.

Personally, I don't really like the idea of putting a cap on waiving players. That would drift too far away from the realism of the NHL that we long for. Plus I think it would be unfair to teams trying unload some contracts after they fall out of the race so that they don't lose unnecessary amounts of money.

I think the easiest solution would be that we simply count claimed waived players towards the salary cap. I mean, this is what I figured we were doing anyway, otherwise I would have put in a couple claims myself. To me this only makes sense so prevent teams from loading up and going significantly (im talking 4-5 mil) over the cap.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
But it's unrealistic. NHL teams wouldn't waive guys after the trade deadline to dump salary for the simple fact it would warn players from signing there in fear of just being dumped for 1/10 their salary. Here, there's no downside. (Unless the FA randomizer can be adjusted to penalize those teams)

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Found the post...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=369734

Not sure what do do now considering teams have already claimed these players and have put themselves over the cap where according to the rules these waiver claims should have been rejected in the first place.

Either way I'll try and calculate the salary cap and minimum OV the best I can with and without waiver claims and I'll let the admin team decide if and/or what is the penalty... going forward though I think teams who are at or above the salary cap should refrain from making waiver claims and teams who are at or below the OV limit should refrain from waiving players.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Found the post...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=369734

I think teams who are at or above the salary cap should refrain from making waiver claims and teams who are at or below the OV limit should refrain from waiving players.

That would be the most logical solution you would think. It's not like after the trade deadline, the salary cap suddenly evapourates into thin air and you can be allowed to raise it to levels of 50 mil +. That is why we have the hard cap in place, to prevent this.

Sure the actual rule states that the player should have never been claimed in the first place. But does Matt really have to go through everyone's finances before putting through a waiver claim? He's already got enough on his plate and he shouldn't have to do this. As team manager, you have to take responsibility in managing your own teams financial situation and be aware of where your team sits in the salary cap. Adding a waiver player, or several, after the fact is just downright sneaky IMO.

Just for the record, here are the fines for going over the cap, according to our rulebook.

The Salary Cap for the 2007-08, will be a $44 million hard cap, an increase
of $4M from 2006-07, with draft pick penalties for those exceeding the hard
cap as follows:

$0-1 million: a 4th round draft pick
$1-2 million: a 3rd round draft pick
$2-3 million: a 2nd round draft pick
$3-4 million: a 1st round draft pick
$4-5 million: a 1st & 3rd round draft pick
$5-7.5 million: a 1st & 2nd round draft pick
$7.5-10 million: two 1st round draft picks

* All picks will be first available

I think this has to be dealt with immediately. I feel for those teams fighting for those last playoff spots in the West, because Colorado and San Jose have gone over the cap and broken the rules in order to get a step ahead of the teams they are fighting (Calgary, Minnesota, Vancouver, etc). It's harsh, but I think penalties have to be handed down.

SImply removing the players from the roster would be a hard move to do simply because, how would you go about doing it? Placing the players on waivers again? Outright releasing the players so no team can benefit. Returning the players to the team who waived them in the first place?

A difficult decision lies ahead for the admin team.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I think one of the league's admins need to rule on this ASAP. There are two pretty obvious consequences this has had on other GMs.

With the example of Holik, anybody who could legitimately fit Holik into their cap structure and also placed a waiver claim for him, has a case here. Second, any team who's game results have been impacted (whether directly or indirectly) by Holik suiting up for Colorado, has also been impacted by this mistake.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
That would be the most logical solution you would think. It's not like after the trade deadline, the salary cap suddenly evapourates into thin air and you can be allowed to raise it to levels of 50 mil +. That is why we have the hard cap in place, to prevent this.

Sure the actual rule states that the player should have never been claimed in the first place. But does Matt really have to go through everyone's finances before putting through a waiver claim? He's already got enough on his plate and he shouldn't have to do this. As team manager, you have to take responsibility in managing your own teams financial situation and be aware of where your team sits in the salary cap. Adding a waiver player, or several, after the fact is just downright sneaky IMO.

Just for the record, here are the fines for going over the cap, according to our rulebook.

The Salary Cap for the 2007-08, will be a $44 million hard cap, an increase
of $4M from 2006-07, with draft pick penalties for those exceeding the hard
cap as follows:

$0-1 million: a 4th round draft pick
$1-2 million: a 3rd round draft pick
$2-3 million: a 2nd round draft pick
$3-4 million: a 1st round draft pick
$4-5 million: a 1st & 3rd round draft pick
$5-7.5 million: a 1st & 2nd round draft pick
$7.5-10 million: two 1st round draft picks

* All picks will be first available

I think this has to be dealt with immediately. I feel for those teams fighting for those last playoff spots in the West, because Colorado and San Jose have gone over the cap and broken the rules in order to get a step ahead of the teams they are fighting (Calgary, Minnesota, Vancouver, etc). It's harsh, but I think penalties have to be handed down.

SImply removing the players from the roster would be a hard move to do simply because, how would you go about doing it? Placing the players on waivers again? Outright releasing the players so no team can benefit. Returning the players to the team who waived them in the first place?

A difficult decision lies ahead for the admin team.

It is a difficult decision, but I'd have to agree with both you and Adil. Penalties should be applied.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Second, any team who's game results have been impacted (whether directly or indirectly) by Holik suiting up for Colorado, has also been impacted by this mistake.

Guys I don't think you can really critizise Ville for picking up Holik. From what I can tell COL is less then 1M under the cap due to the fact that his first checkpoint was only 40.8M ... I mean at the end of the day you're probably talking about a 4th rounder penalty based on the rule that Brock brought up... I think if Ville pays that penalty I don't see why he should not be allowed to dress Holik.

That being said, I agree that Colorado's waiver pickup should have been rejected in the first place, but as Brock has already pointed out the rule is virtually unenforcable by Matt and therefor IMHO some leeway should be given.

I'll try and crunch through the numbers this weekend (assuming I can fix those damned macros on that spreadsheet) but it would really help if there was a list of waiver claims...

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Guys I don't think you can really critizise Ville for picking up Holik. From what I can tell COL is less then 1M under the cap due to the fact that his first checkpoint was only 40.8M ... I mean at the end of the day you're probably talking about a 4th rounder penalty based on the rule that Brock brought up... I think if Ville pays that penalty I don't see why he should not be allowed to dress Holik.

That being said, I agree that Colorado's waiver pickup should have been rejected in the first place, but as Brock has already pointed out the rule is virtually unenforcable by Matt and therefor IMHO some leeway should be given.

I'll try and crunch through the numbers this weekend (assuming I can fix those damned macros on that spreadsheet) but it would really help if there was a list of waiver claims...

I wasn't trying to criticize Ville for Holik. I picked that example because he himself had brought it up. It wasn't meant to imply that he had deviously manipulated the entire thing. That's far from my job to judge, and whether it was intentional or not doesn't change the end fact.

My question though is whether the proper application of the rule would be to reject that waiver claim entirely, or is it that to go over the cap a team has to pay a penalty. Essentially and for future reference, (to once again use the example brought up beforehand) is that team allowed to pick up Holik so long as they pay the 4th round pick cap penalty?

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Nulla poena sine lege

I think this is just bs. The rules don't say there's a checkpoint after the deadline, and the "exception" says that the waiver claims that put a team over the cap should be rejected. Neither me nor Pasi could really be aware of this rule as it's not in the rulebook and the rulebook has been updated several times since that post was made on the subject last year. (Nulla poena sine lege) There's no reason why we as GM's should have to make searches for possible rule change that hasn't been implemented in the rulebook even if it was talked about briefly a year ago.

I don't see how we could be punished for it. I think these are the options we have:
1) We let this slide this year, since it wasn't in the rulebook. Put the rule in the rulebook and enforce it next season.
2) The waiver claims that were made are now null and the claim goes to the next team placing a claim, that is not going over the cap with the claim.
3) The waiver claims are null and the players go back to their old teams and the teams can waive them again.

After all, it's not like Holik has done much for me playing the 4th line center position. Apart from the assist in the Tampa loss, he's -1 getting about 10 minutes a game.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I think this is just bs. The rules don't say there's a checkpoint after the deadline, and the "exception" says that the waiver claims that put a team over the cap should be rejected. Neither me nor Pasi could really be aware of this rule as it's not in the rulebook and the rulebook has been updated several times since that post was made on the subject last year. (Nulla poena sine lege) There's no reason why we as GM's should have to make searches for possible rule change that hasn't been implemented in the rulebook even if it was talked about briefly a year ago.

I don't see how we could be punished for it. I think these are the options we have:
1) We let this slide this year, since it wasn't in the rulebook. Put the rule in the rulebook and enforce it next season.
2) The waiver claims that were made are now null and the claim goes to the next team placing a claim, that is not going over the cap with the claim.
3) The waiver claims are null and the players go back to their old teams and the teams can waive them again.

After all, it's not like Holik has done much for me playing the 4th line center position. Apart from the assist in the Tampa loss, he's -1 getting about 10 minutes a game.

I don't see why anyone would assume they'd be allowed to exceed the salary cap without being penalized.

And as far as "Nulla poena sine lege" goes:

17. ---SITUATIONS NOT COVERED---

Should a pressing league issue arise, the HFNHL Admin team will discuss the
problem at hand and agree on a reasonable resolution. The league reserves the
right to amend or change any league rules after a consensus ruling among the
admin team members.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->