Confirmed Signing with Link: Saku Maenalanen signs with Jokerit (KHL)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
His Liiga numbers weren't any special, his international numbers weren't any special, his NHL numbers are bad and even his AHL numbers aren't good, but I hope, he'll help Jokerit, his new team needs any help right now (probably more coach help, than players though).

Reactions: Mestaruus

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
5th rounder who got a taste of the NHL and then bigger role in Europe, pretty normal route

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
His Liiga numbers weren't any special, his international numbers weren't any special, his NHL numbers are bad and even his AHL numbers aren't good, but I hope, he'll help Jokerit, his new team needs any help right now (probably more coach help, than players though).
It's not all about numbers. He did great in the playoffs against Washington. Played physical and got under the opponents skin.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Best of luck Saku.

Big streaky player who felt like he had more to show.

And still does. An article explicitly claimed he can first return to NHL after the Jokerit season ends, and the man himself felt in an interview that he was capable in lower line duties in the NHL and aims to break into top 9 in the future.

These guys want more time on ice like some want more cowbell.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Jokerien vuoden odotus palkittiin – nyt maailmanmestari Mäenalanen ei karkaa NHL:ään

"The last season was the best I have had. I got to play up and experience the NHL. It's easier to play in the NHL than in the AHL. There's more [cerebral activity] in the NHL and better players."

So playing up higher with better players is kind of a Finn RFA thing, as of lately.
yep... Maybe tampa is looking for a backup goalie and I have a legit chance at a championship ring ;)

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This dude is an interesting player. He has some pretty unique skill level for a guy his size who plays a physical style.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He will be 27 in May 2021, making him an UFA on July 1, 2021. Until that he's a Canes RFA.

By reports there's no NHL clause in his KHL contract, but by the look of it, after the season ends in the next spring he will be looking to make another push for NA.

Stupid KHL don't tell who actually got the option for the second season. Usually it's the team I think. If so I would think the option is there to lock him to Jokerit in the KHL context and to the current salary if he stays for another year, but they are not going to use the option if Saku feels like going to NA.

Caveat: my track record in thinking about Saku matters probably doesn't impress everyone.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Only played played 26 regular season games but then five points in six playoff games before season ended.

Assuming there was an injury (injuries?).

Any likelihood he is back in North America at some point?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he'll be back, it's not a bad time for him to be doing this and it seemed the Canes were sitting on him anyways. He was a solid Cane during his time, I think if he found the right team he could be good for a few years on a third line - with spot duty higher up.

Reactions: BHD

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jokerit announced their players for 2020/21 on April 21. Saku is listed. Seems like they used their option on Saku and he'll stay in KHL until 2021.

GM Jari Kurri was asked at that time if any changes were possible, and he mentioned only the interest in NHL on Mikko Lehtonen which later led in the announcement of mutual termination of his contract in May as the Leafs signed him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad