Saginaw Spirit 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw signed U-18 1st rounder Mangone this morning. Another player for the roster next season at least part time as hes also signed to a JR A/B team for next season.

Lineups currently with a worst case scenario of no Perfetti, Millman, any surprise NCAA signings could be something like:

Bloom-Duhart-Codd
Baber-Beck-McNamara
Klein-Mangone

Mancini-Smith
Mintyukov-Schueting
Savard

Lennox
Oke

Still need 5 forwards and at least 2 dmen. Have one open OA spot and an early import spot to fill 2 of those holes. Still some work to do especially up front. Drinkill better be working Mintyukov/Prosvetov/Soloyvov's agent and see if he has any more gems we can pick up

I know our style of play is more skill based than old school dump and chase but the forward group is not big at all. Our biggest forward rn is a 6 foot 3 16 yr old. A good chunk of the forwards are under 6 foot. Import pick may be a guy with size to help round things out.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Adam Fantilli will return to chicago for second ushl season... confirmed by steel gm Ryan Hardy as per CoryPronman.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Klein 6’4
McNamara 6’3
Bloom 6’2
Duhart 6’0 (maybe)

Numbers from Saginaw site are suspect -- they have Codd listed as 5'10 and he is more like 5'8.

Probably best to subtract 1 to 2" from all of those values.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Numbers from Saginaw site are suspect -- they have Codd listed as 5'10 and he is more like 5'8.

Probably best to subtract 1 to 2" from all of those values.

Those arent heights listed on a Spirit site as far as I can tell. Klein and McNamara have never been listed on a roster there. Plus I'm pretty sure Saggy is tuned in to at least one of thier heights lol

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Don’t think he has anything to prove in OHL anymore but too young for AHL. Not sure if he is ready to play top 6 role on Winnipeg just yet.
I would guess he's on the 3rd line for Winnipeg with regular PP minutes

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Don’t think he has anything to prove in OHL anymore but too young for AHL. Not sure if he is ready to play top 6 role on Winnipeg just yet.

Perfetti can't play in the AHL next season unless the OHL is shutdown again. Otherwise it's either the Jets or the Spirit.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Those arent heights listed on a Spirit site as far as I can tell. Klein and McNamara have never been listed on a roster there. Plus I'm pretty sure Saggy is tuned in to at least one of thier heights lol

lol you think?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Saginaw takes Czech Matyas Sapovaliv 15th OA in the import draft. 6-3 190pound forward. Should help add some size up front.

Edit*

Looks like he has a solid chance at reporting as well. He is apart of the same agency as our last couple of import players and seems happy about being selected. Will be a big body down the middle and gives us 2 draft eligible import picks for the first time in a few years. Definitely setting up for that next run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saggy

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I would guess he's on the 3rd line for Winnipeg with regular PP minutes

I can't see Perfetti back in the OHL. It would be a huge step backwards for his development. I would have to agree with your assessment of his situation next season. If he works on his skating, strength and conditioning he has top 6 possibilities.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Draft database shows Sauga owning the 2024 Saginaw 2nd pick but with conditions in regards to the R McLeod trade, but no details given. Any light on what those conditions were, or if they were met? Thanks!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
OA year, how far Saginaw advanced in the playoffs, games played in Saginaw. Could be any number of things I'm sure only a select few know. Wish the OHL was more transparent on these things

Agreed, I am curious if they still have this pick or if goes back to Saginaw. I would have to assume it isn't just playing a OA year as that was not likely.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
From the treasure trove of info that is Brock Otten:

15. Saginaw Spirit - Matyas Sapovaliv - Forward
Massive center (6'4) who hails from the Czech Republic. He was one of three '04 forwards on the Czech U18 team this year as an underager, certainly pointing to him being highly regarded. Sapovaliv also played in the Czech second men's league this year and had signed an extension with Rytiri Kladno, who had earned a promotion to the top level for next season.
Scouting Report:

“Matyáš Šapovaliv is a tall forward with playmaking skills. He is good in reading the game an has an ability to find teammates with accurate passes. Although he doesn’t have a great shot, he proved that he can score goals, but he’d rather pass than shoot on most plays. In his limited time on ice in his first professional season, he looked solid, playing on a team with Jagr or Plekanec.” - Czech Prospects

looks like he can play center. Would be huge.​

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Congrats to Tristan Lennox (93rd to Islanders) and Josh Bloom (95th to Sabres) on being drafted yesterday. And to those that didn’t have their name called, keep putting the work in and people will notice. This is now 14 straight seasons that Saginaw has had someone selected in the draft.

Spirit prospects that were also picked included:

-Luke Hughes (4th to Devils, Michigan commit)
-Carter Mazur (70th to Red Wings, Denver commit)
-Dylan Duke (126th to Lightning, Michigan commit)

Last edited:
Reactions: Saggy

the dog

May 16, 2014
Congrats to Tristan Lennox (93rd to Islanders) and Josh Bloom (95th to Sabres) on being drafted yesterday. And to those that didn’t have their name called, keep putting the work in and people will notice. This is now 14 straight seasons that Saginaw has had someone selected in the draft.

Spirit prospects that were also picked included:

-Luke Hughes (4th to Devils, Michigan commit)
-Carter Mazur (70th to Red Wings, Denver commit)
-Dylan Duke (126th to Lightning, Michigan commit)
you also have Sam Lipkin 223 to arizona

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Couple notes from this week:

-Rick Ice hired as new goalie coach as AJ Walczak is taking a position at Michigan

-Mitchell Smith invited to Avs camp.

-Tbone Codd invited to Wings Camp

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8 and Saggy

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Couple notes from this week:

-Rick Ice hired as new goalie coach as AJ Walczak is taking a position at Michigan

-Mitchell Smith invited to Ava camp.

-Tbone Codd invited to Wings Camp

Tbone to Wings camp might be the most predictable camp invite ever. Kid has the talent, compete level, and has been around the Wings locker room for a while now.

Reactions: Finster8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->