Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
DD just working out payments. Who? When? How much? 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment? Ownership must approve first.

Saginaw has gotten to the level where people claim they pay players. What a time to be alive. As for Saggy's comment I havent heard anything around town, but wouldnt be surprised. Saginaw is going to know whats going on better than most teams, Goslin being on the OHL board and all

Reactions: sbpointer

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Saginaw has gotten to the level where people claim they pay players. What a time to be alive. As for Saggy's comment I havent heard anything around town, but wouldnt be surprised. Saginaw is going to know whats going on better than most teams, Goslin being on the OHL board and all

It's a sure sign of other teams fans unwilling to accept the ineptitude of their favorite team. Make baseless accusations against another team instead of holding their own team accountable

Welcome to the club!

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
You want us to believe that all the sudden these top USA kids woke up and said let’s go to Saginaw mi. Not likely. No question we have another situation on our hands. Just a matter of time before they talk.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
You want us to believe that all the sudden these top USA kids woke up and said let’s go to Saginaw mi. Not likely. No question we have another situation on our hands. Just a matter of time before they talk.

Saginaw has one of the best up and coming coaches in the world behind the bench. Owners just redid the facilities and are bringing in hockey people to run things that they never did years ago. The culture around hockey here is night and day different then it was even 5 years ago. Its not surprising alot of American talent would want to play here. OHL is the best league in the world, talent is going come if you dont put out a complete dumpster fire of a program

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Lets agree that if we have a season, the clock is ticking and we need to go all in.

Let’s also say the season starts tomorrow and we get a chance to grab a Nick Robertson or a Mike Vukojevic......which one would you go after and what would you give up to get them?

Be realistic because I don’t think future considerations would get it done.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Lets agree that if we have a season, the clock is ticking and we need to go all in.

Let’s also say the season starts tomorrow and we get a chance to grab a Nick Robertson or a Mike Vukojevic......which one would you go after and what would you give up to get them?

Robertson to play with Perfetti would be clutch but team would likely need Vukojevic more. Plus it would all depend who would be sent back potentially from the AHL as an overager.

I think to get Vukojevic, you'd be looking at Fantilli's rights and a pick or two for Vukojevic and conditional picks on if Fantilli reports to Kitchener

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I think Vukojevic fills more of a need for you although I'm not sure if I'm Kitchener I'd sell.
Knowing what we assume we know a deal around Fantilli's rights would be an interesting plot twist..

Reactions: Finster8

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I think Fantilli would need to agree to show up in KW before any deal could be crafted. They wouldn't settle for just his "rights".

I agree with you if I had to pick between Robertson and Vuko....I would go with the big Dman first

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think Vukojevic fills more of a need for you although I'm not sure if I'm Kitchener I'd sell.
Knowing what we assume we know a deal around Fantilli's rights would be an interesting plot twist..

when your trading for a 16 year old unsigned player, its picks only. you can do a two part trade, but that would be looked down on and i don't think it happens all that often.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
It's a sure sign of other teams fans unwilling to accept the ineptitude of their favorite team. Make baseless accusations against another team instead of holding their own team accountable

Welcome to the club!

If you think Cole Perfetti went from fully committed to Michigan, to "yeah sure I'll sign with SAG!" a week later, you're delusional lol.

It's very, very smart of Saginaw and I wish my team did it more, you have to in order to succeed a lot of the time. But don't play dumb and act like oh Cole just decided he really likes the city of Saginaw!:laugh: Just like when London signed Isiah George, who told everyone he was 100% going NCAA, it wasnt because he just decided London was his favourite city...

Reactions: Smu fan

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
If you think Cole Perfetti went from fully committed to Michigan, to "yeah sure I'll sign with SAG!" a week later, you're delusional lol.

It's very, very smart of Saginaw and I wish my team did it more, you have to in order to succeed a lot of the time. But don't play dumb and act like oh Cole just decided he really likes the city of Saginaw!:laugh: Just like when London signed Isiah George, who told everyone he was 100% going NCAA, it wasnt because he just decided London was his favourite city...

If you closely follow the OHL and have frequently visited the area, the rink, and have an experience with the managment and culture of the team it's not that far of a stretch. Add in that Perfetti wanted to take the faster route to the NHL it makes the decision pretty simple

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Once again you have no idea about the situation. Cole wasnt coming to Saginaw after the draft. Saginaw's coach at the time sat down with the family and convinced them to come to town during rookie camp to check out the town. They did and met with potential billets and seen the facilities, meet the staff, and they ended up signing. Remember the family by the way, they aren't NCAA hardliners who miraculously changed their mind, they have billeted OHL players themselves for years. OHL was always the likely route for Cole, who likely used his abilities and NCAA commit to work his way to a program he was comfortable with. Dozens of players do it every year, doesnt mean the team is paying anyone.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Grewe playing for Grand Rapids tonight?

Hasn't played in the couple games i've been to. If he's coming over, it'll be to play for Saginaw. Detroit has shown already with Veleno, Sedier, Johanson etc that they are fine letting guys stay over in Europe vs bringing them over to AHL which has already been up and running. Only thing that has changed is that the OHL is likely back in the near fuure.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Going to have to see if trades are even going to be allowed first. If they are, we don’t have a ton to work with. Luckily we don’t need a lot really. If you want to get a big name, it’s going to cost guys like Codd, Bloom, or Mancini. I’d rather us spend less and get some vets to supplement the middle of the line up.

basically you can either move a POTENTIAL 50/60 pt forward to bring in a known 80+ pt person. Or you can move smaller pieces/picks to bring in a vet 40/45 pt player to help mentor and get the kids to reach their potential. Option 2 would be far more beneficial for what we would have to give up.

Last edited:

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I kind of like the question that I saw on the Kitchener Ranger site......

"If there's a season, which I think is probably likely now, who do you think will be the Rangers captain for the 2021 season? And who do you think will lead the team in scoring (top 5)? I hope to hear the announcement of a season soon."

So what are your thoughts for Saginaw??

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hasn't played in the couple games i've been to. If he's coming over, it'll be to play for Saginaw. Detroit has shown already with Veleno, Sedier, Johanson etc that they are fine letting guys stay over in Europe vs bringing them over to AHL which has already been up and running. Only thing that has changed is that the OHL is likely back in the near fuure.

Looks like Grewe has signed an ATO. Will get some games in since Ontario is taking their sweet time getting this season going.

Reactions: Saggy

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I kind of like the question that I saw on the Kitchener Ranger site......

"If there's a season, which I think is probably likely now, who do you think will be the Rangers captain for the 2021 season? And who do you think will lead the team in scoring (top 5)? I hope to hear the announcement of a season soon."

So what are your thoughts for Saginaw??

Captain: Probably Perfetti or Millman
Top five scorers: Easy 3 will be Perfetti, Suzuki, and Millman. Then likely Bloom or Codd and maybe Grewe?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I think the easy call at Captain is Perfetti....then as Alternates you see two of Suzuki, Millman and King.

Scoring is a crapshot as it all depends who plays with Perfetti and Suzuzki....if I had to guess I would say top 5 look like this

1. Perfetti
2. Suzuki
3. Grewe (even though he is not a scorer, I think he will be playing top line)
4. Bloom or Antropov (whoever plays top 6)
5. Beck and player from above that doesnt play top 6

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I see Perfetti and Suzuki both playing C. That is where the Big Clubs want them to play and develop. Antropov-Perfetti-Grewe+ Bloom-Suzuki-OA/Katic maybe trade up and get an upgrade on 2RW.
Perfetti 'C'
Suzuki 'A'
Antropov
Grewe
Millman 'A' as top 5 scorers. Mitchell Smith as my last alternate?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Wow.....just wow

I never really thought it would get to this where they actually cancelled the full season.

I feel awful for the OAs and Draft Eligibles that never got to show their stuff.

Looking ahead, I’m assuming we lose Katic, King, Antropov, Suzuki (AHL), Grewe (AHL), and Millman (AHL).

Maybe even Perfetti to NHL !!!

What do we have left? Need to rely on 04s and 05s to fill in the blanks??

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
DD what are you going to do with all the parent rent money you saved? Hope you didn’t sign long term leases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->