Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Congrats to DJ on the 4 goal performance last night. Kid works his tail off and deserved a pay off like that. Also a solid weekend for Lennox. That'll be good to get him some confidence back. Point up on Flint with a game in hand. Decent weekend again.

Don’t forget his assist....5 point games don’t come very often. Good to see for DJ....hopefully some nhl teams take notice

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Don’t forget his assist....5 point games don’t come very often. Good to see for DJ....hopefully some nhl teams take notice

Perfect time for guys like DJ, Blade, Bloom, and a few others to step up the secondary scoring. I've noticed Laz has really been able to roll lines and not be so top heavy the last couple of weeks. Just the right time to get rolling before the playoffs. Lennox has played great as well.

Reactions: Finster8 and Saggy

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Since coming back from suspension, Blade Jenkins has been playing with something to prove. He's got 7 g 6a in 7 games played including back to back 3 point games.

Giroux also netted his 42nd goal of the year today. Now 5 shy of tying Josh Shalla's single season goal record for Saginaw. 8 games left to break it.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Some close calls but a 6 for 6 weekend leads to a 5 pt lead in the division with 6 left. Good road swing. Streak snapped for scoring 5 goals in a game but Giroux gets to 44.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Great weekend for the boys. Need to tighten up the Team defence but still overall solid. Lennox looks like he is finding his groove. Open up a 5 point lead on Flint with only 6 games or 12 points available.

Jumping ahead....who would you rather play in round one? Owen Sound plays a mucky style that seems to give us problems, Guelph has Daws in net and he could steal a series and Windsor is always tough.

Thoughts.....

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Great weekend for the boys. Need to tighten up the Team defence but still overall solid. Lennox looks like he is finding his groove. Open up a 5 point lead on Flint with only 6 games or 12 points available.

Jumping ahead....who would you rather play in round one? Owen Sound plays a mucky style that seems to give us problems, Guelph has Daws in net and he could steal a series and Windsor is always tough.

Thoughts.....

Probably Owen Sound, followed by Windsor, and Guelph last. Not saying that Owen Sound would be a cake walk, but I think we could outscore them fairly easy. Daws is a wild card and the kind of goalie that could steal a series. Windsor I'd place in the middle, they have enough offense to punch up and their import goalie is underratted imo.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Thoughts.....

Really haven’t followed Saginaw a lot this season so I’m not sure which game fits your team the best. Guelph and Owen Sound are beatable, but you have to be so patient against them and jump on the few mistakes they will make. Conversely you can’t make mistakes as they will eat you alive. Windsor is imo a little more predictable but you don’t know which team will show up? Either really good or really bad generally. Having said all that I think you want Windsor as you can grind them and for sure will come out in the end. However I would pick you in all three series to be honest! LOL so never mind! LOL

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Thoughts.....

-Windsor has given us problems all year. Let Flint eliminate them.
-GUE is a one line team that will go 6 games IF Daws plays ridiculously well.
-Haven’t played them since the deadline but everything about OS is meh. Their offense is meh, their D is meh, their record etc. It would be a meh 5 game series.

I don’t see a lot of shifting happening in the west. Windsor is four clear of GUE who’s four clear of OS.

It’s going to be OS.

Edit: Most importantly, Saginaw is going to have 260 games of combined playoff experience including 12 guys back from the team that went to game 7 of the conference finals. These guys are going to be ready for any and everything that’s going to be thrown at them so I’m not overly worried about who we face in round one or thereafter because they can handle it. They got that close last season and will surely work that much harder to complete the mission this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Let's look at it a different way.....who has the best chance of knocking out Kitchener and doing us a favour? I kind of like the idea of Windsor/Flint and Kitchener/Guelph all being Divisional rivals and knocking the crap out of each other.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
NBA cancels it's season, things do not look good for other sports longevity this season. Sure glad we didn't go overboard with signing players at the deadline. It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the CHL? With having a top team it sucks because we might never know who was the best. The bottom line is the health of the public and sports is merely just entertainment. I sure hope they can get a handle on containing this Virus and minimize casualties. That is the bottom line.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
season officially suspended.

Saw someone say "the sooner we shut things down, the sooner we can start them up again."

Everybody take care of yourselves in the meantime and hopefully we resume in a month or two.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Well regular season is officially scrapped. IF they ever do the playoffs. We'll be the 2 seed. Got to feel for the OA's/graduating players.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What are the off season needs? Only 3 picks in top 100?

Looking at a possible lineup for next season with BEST CASE scenario:

Perfetti-Suzuki-Davis
Bloom-Jenkins-Baber
Katic-Duhart-???
Rookies

Millman ????
Mancini Smith
King ???

Lennox
Tahk
----------------

-Kept Katic, Jenkins, and King as OA's. If Jenkins is signed then just swap in Goldowski Or Antropov.

-Between trading Antropov or Goldowski, we should get a warm body for the fourth line.

-Import pick can be used to get a top line defenseman to go with Millman.

-I'd use the first on a forward, preferably center. 2nd on third pairing defenseman, and the 4th on a forward, (wing).

-Honestly not a bad line up and have 4 2nds and 2 3rds to deal if the draft pick database is accurate. Smart thing would be to deal Perfetti, Suzuki, Millman to restock and build around Bloom, Davis, Mancini, Smith, and Lennox for 2021/2022 but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

So I'd say for the priority draft our needs are

C
D
W

Import

D

Fill out the rest through trade and prospect signings.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Looking at a possible lineup for next season with BEST CASE scenario:

Perfetti-Suzuki-Davis
Bloom-Jenkins-Baber
Katic-Duhart-???
Rookies

Millman ????
Mancini Smith
King ???

Lennox
Tahk
----------------

-Kept Katic, Jenkins, and King as OA's. If Jenkins is signed then just swap in Goldowski Or Antropov.

-Between trading Antropov or Goldowski, we should get a warm body for the fourth line.

-Import pick can be used to get a top line defenseman to go with Millman.

-I'd use the first on a forward, preferably center. 2nd on third pairing defenseman, and the 4th on a forward, (wing).

-Honestly not a bad line up and have 4 2nds and 2 3rds to deal if the draft pick database is accurate. Smart thing would be to deal Perfetti, Suzuki, Millman to restock and build around Bloom, Davis, Mancini, Smith, and Lennox for 2021/2022 but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

So I'd say for the priority draft our needs are

C
D
W

Import

D

Fill out the rest through trade and prospect signings.

Couple of my thoughts:

Not sure if Bloom can play on his off wing, but he'd be my first choice on the Suzuki-Perfetti line. I think he would score 30+ goals on that line with his shot.

Still not 100% convinced Giroux is gone despite his season. With his size, I'd still be leery about him playing bottom 6 in the AHL next season if I was Minny.

Some people who legit may fill some roster spots:

Hipkin from last years draft class added in on D

Andrekos (spelling) from last draft would be my choice over Tahk for BOG

Fleming from the Suzuki trade is a big body who could play in the bottom 6.

If they can get Beck (also from the Suzuki trade) whose from Linden to drop his Denver commit and sign, he would slot right into the top 6.

Dream scenario that are ridiculously farfetched but possible none the less:

Saginaw uses the 18th pick to take Tyler Duke from Compuware and he drops his Notre Dame commit and his brother Dylan (who we took last year) drops his U of M commit and both sign here. 2 birds one stone.

T-Bone convinces his buddy Luke to be the first Hughes brother to play in the O and he signs here as well.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I think that lineup would grab a playoff spot...….having said that, if we are sitting mid-pack then we could look to rebuild by trading Perfetti and Suzuki at deadline.

Not overly concerned about drafting a Centre verse Wing as many of our Wingers grew up playing Centre. I think the right handed shot is more important due to the fact that we are stacked with Lefties. A right handed Centre would be ideal.

I'm not sure where the OA situation lands but we have plenty to choose from as we have 9 2000 born players (5Fs, 3Ds and 1G).

As far as OAs go I think we keep King, Antropov and one of Katic or Goldowski with Giroux, Jenkins, Wilde and Solovyov moving to next level.

F Line 1 - Perfetti - Suzuki - Goldowski
F Line 2 - Bloom - Duhart - Baber
F Line 3 - Fleming - Antropov - Codd
F Line 4 - Rookies and Trades

D Line 1 - King - Smith
D Line 2 - Millman - Mancini
D Line 3 - Rookies and Trades

G 1 - Lennox
G2 - Andreakos

** Goldowski edges out Katic due to his right handed shot......if we keep Katic instead then maybe we find a solid RW in the import draft

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Couple of my thoughts:

Not sure if Bloom can play on his off wing, but he'd be my first choice on the Suzuki-Perfetti line. I think he would score 30+ goals on that line with his shot.

Still not 100% convinced Giroux is gone despite his season. With his size, I'd still be leery about him playing bottom 6 in the AHL next season if I was Minny.

Some people who legit may fill some roster spots:

Hipkin from last years draft class added in on D

Andrekos (spelling) from last draft would be my choice over Tahk for BOG

Fleming from the Suzuki trade is a big body who could play in the bottom 6.

If they can get Beck (also from the Suzuki trade) whose from Linden to drop his Denver commit and sign, he would slot right into the top 6.

Dream scenario that are ridiculously farfetched but possible none the less:

Saginaw uses the 18th pick to take Tyler Duke from Compuware and he drops his Notre Dame commit and his brother Dylan (who we took last year) drops his U of M commit and both sign here. 2 birds one stone.

T-Bone convinces his buddy Luke to be the first Hughes brother to play in the O and he signs here as well.

Some solid thoughts and even better wish list....lol.....that would be special if we grabbed Duke x2, Beck and Hughes.

1. Bloom has already been playing his off wing for much of the second half on Duhart-Baber-Bloom line. I like your thoughts but he is probably better suited for LW and/or C role
2. Giroux is gonzo. Had a great camp with Minnesota follow be a special year in Saginaw. Jenkins is my big question mark.....heard NYI like him a lot but he has had a very average year.
3. Hipkin playing in Prep School in US so Drinkill would have to commit well in advance of training camp or he will most likely be a no show. He absolutely has the ability to step right in and play.
4. Andreakos is a lock. Much better than Tahk and younger too
5. Fleming played with Suzuki and Millman in past and looked ready to play for us before stoppage. Expect him to be there on third line role next year. Good size.
6. Beck would fall into the wish list category. He was a 6th rounder and don't think he could crack a top 6 role on this team (also Left hand shot)

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Bored senseless......can someone take a flyer as to what they think the team looks like for next year? So many overagers I'm not sure who is coming and who is going? Also, has anyone been following this years OHL Draft.....we pick 18th I think so who are we hoping to land? There are a couple solid Ds but most mentioned are Fs...….also heavy swing in higher end player from USA verse Canada which may actually help us being located in Michigan.

Thoughts....

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Bored senseless......can someone take a flyer as to what they think the team looks like for next year? So many overagers I'm not sure who is coming and who is going? Also, has anyone been following this years OHL Draft.....we pick 18th I think so who are we hoping to land? There are a couple solid Ds but most mentioned are Fs...….also heavy swing in higher end player from USA verse Canada which may actually help us being located in Michigan.

Thoughts....

I expect Drinkill and Prout have been working those American prospects pretty hard. If we could get one of them to drop a commit and come here it would be a big coup for the organization.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Thoughts....

You'd have to think Antropov is staying as an OA, no? Drinkoll knew the OA situation yet paid a 2nd+3rd for him, so that's gotta mean he planned on having him for 1.5 years, not half a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad