Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
Hayton was a 1st round draft pick and produce major points there is no comparison, Giroux is a good kid , but you need certain leaders that are willing to but the team on there shoulders and inspire them!!!!! Nice guys always finish last

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Hayton was a 1st round draft pick and produce major points there is no comparison, Giroux is a good kid , but you need certain leaders that are willing to but the team on there shoulders and inspire them!!!!! Nice guys always finish last
How does the amount of points you score make you a better Captain? It doesn't, you are Captain material or your not.

Reactions: TheCoach

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Because having an A instead of a C is analogous to finishing in last. lol. Ok Ricky.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
2nd round draft pick Ethan Cardwell assigned to Trenton of OJHL. Anyone surprised?
Honestly his skill level, confidence and overall development will be better served by getting quality TOI that's what Ethan needs at this stage of his career.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I'm not overly impressed either. Sarnia is in an OA situation and I would have loved either Calvas or Eliot headed this way even if it we had to move a couple of youngsters. Of course this is a contingent on what is up with Adam Everett.

Reactions: cub

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sarnia guy here... agree with your “Sarnia has” “Saginaw needs” scenario, but unlikely that such a trade would occur within a division, at least not until new year deadline if Sarnia gives up and becomes a wholesale seller.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Honestly his skill level, confidence and overall development will be better served by getting quality TOI that's what Ethan needs at this stage of his career.

Besides, he'll draw in next year. Most likely one of Gilmour, Coskey or Busdeker will be moved in or before their OA season (if Gilmour isn't out of the OHL altogether) and there could be a few other guys moved to open up roster space as well. Even without him you are looking at 14 quality forwards on Saginaw right now, and I would not be shocked if one of them is moved (i.e. Grondin). That would still mean someone like Baber is on the outside looking in, even though he should be a 4C by now at least.

Saginaw also has 9D. I doubt they care if Chet Phillips and Brock Hill only get ~30 games a piece as depth defensemen, but when/if Everett draws into the lineup, that likely means Reilly Webb is on the outside looking in. Considering he has some good value, he could be dealt himself.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Besides, he'll draw in next year. Most likely one of Gilmour, Coskey or Busdeker will be moved in or before their OA season (if Gilmour isn't out of the OHL altogether) and there could be a few other guys moved to open up roster space as well. Even without him you are looking at 14 quality forwards on Saginaw right now, and I would not be shocked if one of them is moved (i.e. Grondin). That would still mean someone like Baber is on the outside looking in, even though he should be a 4C by now at least.

Saginaw also has 9D. I doubt they care if Chet Phillips and Brock Hill only get ~30 games a piece as depth defensemen, but when/if Everett draws into the lineup, that likely means Reilly Webb is on the outside looking in. Considering he has some good value, he could be dealt himself.

Probably would see Millman and Penman splitting that 7th duty when Everett comes back.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017

I would imagine Gilmour is move quickly or at the very least at Christmas. I think he will still be in the OHL next year as an OA for some team Why do you think he wont be in the OHL? Busdeker is also trade bait but if Gilmour goes somewhere, DJ will stay put.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Not sure where this Webb on the outside looking in stuff is coming from. He'll slot in above Davis if it ever came to it he brings a physical edge Davis doesnt have. Doubt it will though. Hill and Phillips are both out of the picture now (neither listed on the teams roster) and word on the street is Everett may be out a while.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Not sure where this Webb on the outside looking in stuff is coming from. He'll slot in above Davis if it ever came to it he brings a physical edge Davis doesnt have. Doubt it will though. Hill and Phillips are both out of the picture now (neither listed on the teams roster) and word on the street is Everett may be out a while.
Everett hurts not being in the lineup. What does our D look with 5 right shots?
Webb/Everett-Wilde
Penman-O'Grady
Millman-Davis
Let's hope O'Grady can hold down a top 4. Still need that offensive defenseman that can QB the PP?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Everett hurts not being in the lineup. What does our D look with 5 right shots?
Webb/Everett-Wilde
Penman-O'Grady
Millman-Davis
Let's hope O'Grady can hold down a top 4. Still need that offensive defenseman that can QB the PP?

We have been running 4 forwards on the PP with Wilde and Millman as the d-men. Penman would work over Millman in a pinch. Would assume if we upgrade at the trade deadline that is a place we would look. But seems ok for now.

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
We have been running 4 forwards on the PP with Wilde and Millman as the d-men. Penman would work over Millman in a pinch. Would assume if we upgrade at the trade deadline that is a place we would look. But seems ok for now.
Honestly,
Coskey has been on 4th /3rd line his first 3 years putting up points better than any 1st round pick that Saginaw has done in them last 4 years , no opportunity’s in the first 2 years and finally pp
Last year , Saginaw has given every chance to all there top drafts picks and honestly they have been under performing, is this a case of Gm and coaching ? Or scouting, how many draft picks are under 5-10” and under on the forward end , honestly when you get deep in playoffs, (that’s right Saginaw has a tough time ) the game is all about winning battles and Saginaw struggles
How long an Saginaw keep developing , in my opinion, play your top 3 lines ,4th line develops in practice not games as kids move out youngsters move up , that’s how London does it

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
2019, we have struggles just to make the playoffs but not this year. We are ranked 9th in the CHL, signed Wilde, Perfetti, Prosvetov, Michnac the team has never looked this good. DD had a good off-season and now acquiring O'Grady he is showing he is ready to deal. The 5'10 guys are doing well with a better team around them and we are 2 games in cheer up we will do well
Smith that is a different story never liked him in Kitchener and wish him the best, Saginaw is my team so prove me wrong.
Edit-nobody will be like London

Last edited:

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
2019, we have struggles just to make the playoffs but not this year. We are ranked 9th in the CHL, signed Wilde, Perfetti, Prosvetov, Michnac the team has never looked this good. DD had a good off-season and now acquiring O'Grady he is showing he is ready to deal. The 5'10 guys are doing well with a better team around them and we are 2 games in cheer up we will do well
Smith that is a different story never liked him in Kitchener and wish him the best, Saginaw is my team so prove me wrong.
I love Saginaw and it’s been a long time waiting
The organization should just appreciate the older kids and treat them the right way , the radio cast with Joey gets sooooo annoying with the young kids that we have too tune in too the away broadcast to finally listen about Saginaw players who deserve, that being said , if Saginaw plays the right players ,trades for another older forward, I think they have a shot to go far in playoffs, because after this year you will loose, bode , coskey , Russian goalie , to ahl teams and another 99 due to OA , gilmour will be gone also , so there we are again looking at ? To lead Saginaw , not a 1st round draft pick since ?????????????

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I love Saginaw and it’s been a long time waiting
The organization should just appreciate the older kids and treat them the right way , the radio cast with Joey gets sooooo annoying with the young kids that we have too tune in too the away broadcast to finally listen about Saginaw players who deserve, that being said , if Saginaw plays the right players ,trades for another older forward, I think they have a shot to go far in playoffs, because after this year you will loose, bode , coskey , Russian goalie , to ahl teams and another 99 due to OA , gilmour will be gone also , so there we are again looking at ? To lead Saginaw , not a 1st round draft pick since ?????????????
Looking from the outside, I mostly agree with your observations and I think the Spirit got a bit lucky with the situations as much as they did recruiting but Blade Jenkins is that 1st round pick and you might as well consider Bode one too. They swung for the fences there and connected. Other than that, yeah. Not a lot of high end prospects coming out of Saginaw's developmental program lately.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Honestly,
Coskey has been on 4th /3rd line his first 3 years putting up points better than any 1st round pick that Saginaw has done in them last 4 years , no opportunity’s in the first 2 years and finally pp
Last year , Saginaw has given every chance to all there top drafts picks and honestly they have been under performing, is this a case of Gm and coaching ? Or scouting, how many draft picks are under 5-10” and under on the forward end , honestly when you get deep in playoffs, (that’s right Saginaw has a tough time ) the game is all about winning battles and Saginaw struggles
How long an Saginaw keep developing , in my opinion, play your top 3 lines ,4th line develops in practice not games as kids move out youngsters move up , that’s how London does it
Sorry Saginaw but sometimes people cant see the forest through the trees. London treats their players in a much different way. They are respected and supported not sent to the bleachers feeling you are not a part of. Players have nothing but high regard for the organization.
You talk as if the senior players have been ripped off or treated unfairly yet many other poster boast about how good they are. We have a fifth round draft pick and 2 seventh rounders that have been solely developed here in Saginaw. Others via trade. I wouldn't be waiving too many checkered flags as some of these players would be questionable top six on other teams. Bollers (no longer) played almost an entire season last year as drafted players sat in the stands, some over 6 feet tall.. Other than the first rounder promotion program or very late round NHL picks, the other TEAM players are alienated. "No press for you". Maybe a change in development ideas may start producing some first or second rounders like the London Knights.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Hockey Prospects.com have Alex Turcotte at 3rd overall in next year's NHL Draft. Time for DD to sign him before next season. The team will be very strong again next year with good 00, 01's and quality OA's. This year's success will carry on next year and Turcotte could be part of a memorable era in Saginaw history.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hockey Prospects.com have Alex Turcotte at 3rd overall in next year's NHL Draft. Time for DD to sign him before next season. The team will be very strong again next year with good 00, 01's and quality OA's. This year's success will carry on next year and Turcotte could be part of a memorable era in Saginaw history.

IF we ever see him here, it won't be until after this season. We'll have to see who drafts him and where they want him to go but he doesn't seem like he'll switch from his commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->