Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'd think the penalty for attempting to injure a fan would not diminish in the playoffs. The same risk, and liability exists.

But then, I don't work for the league. In this case, I believe, anything is possible.

Shooting the puck over the glass is not an attempt to injure a fan. Actually attempting to injure a fan, would result in a lot more than a five game suspension for the act.

Five game suspension for this infraction is for shooting the puck intentionally out of playing surface that could accidentally injure a fan.

Zoodoggie

Dec 27, 2014
A little slow on this post......idiots in every crowd like the lady giving the finger.....Been to Saginaw for quite a few games.....Met quite a few Saginaw fans...most are good folks! Just like anywhere!

Reactions: comment ca va

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Shooting the puck over the glass is not an attempt to injure a fan. Actually attempting to injure a fan, would result in a lot more than a five game suspension for the act.

Five game suspension for this infraction is for shooting the puck intentionally out of playing surface that could accidentally injure a fan.
In the last two years we have had two ladies hit in the head with pucks within five feet of us. One was out of commission for a few weeks. Had considerable damage around her left eye and temple. Another got hit a few weeks ago right behind us. Hit right in above the eye. 11 stitches. Broke her new glasses. Inch lower she could have lost an eye. These were just pucks going over the glass unintentionally and we sit down in the corner behind the glass and netting. It's dangerous to say the least for a goalie to do this no matter what team he plays for when he is pissed at the refs.

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
While I don't have a horse in this race anymore, I am really enjoying this series.
Good on the Spirit coming back to take Game 2.

I like a goalie who displays a little spirit (pun intended). :DD But maybe that wasn't the brightest move Ivan could have made. It would be a shame if Prosvetov was out of this series.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
In the last two years we have had two ladies hit in the head with pucks within five feet of us. One was out of commission for a few weeks. Had considerable damage around her left eye and temple. Another got hit a few weeks ago right behind us. Hit right in above the eye. 11 stitches. Broke her new glasses. Inch lower she could have lost an eye. These were just pucks going over the glass unintentionally and we sit down in the corner behind the glass and netting. It's dangerous to say the least for a goalie to do this no matter what team he plays for when he is pissed at the refs.

Not downplaying those injuries, but usually, a puck shot out of the playing surface worthy of the 5 game suspension isn't usually a blistering shot that causes serious damage. It's usually lobbed (Damiani) or batted (Prosvetov). They don't enter the stands with the same speed to do comparable damage.

This doesn't make it right, just pointing out that fact.

But the rule, along with the 2 minute minor, had to be instituted. There were times that defenceman would shoot the puck into the stands on purpose to get stoppages. A lot of times they were shot out of the playing surface, not just lobbed.

That and the incident of the death of the girl in Columbus years ago.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
He should sit out and he most definitely deserves it. I'm a big fan of the Spirit, but his unchained act was going to blow sooner or later, and here we are.

It would be less than fair to the integrity of the franchise, and the league, to do otherwise. Young men, we are now playing our rookie goalie, no more give aways, defensive slip ups, and visits to the penalty box. Play damm hard in front of him and lets go to it!

Reactions: Bruins10

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not downplaying those injuries, but usually, a puck shot out of the playing surface worthy of the 5 game suspension isn't usually a blistering shot that causes serious damage. It's usually lobbed (Damiani) or batted (Prosvetov). They don't enter the stands with the same speed to do comparable damage.

This doesn't make it right, just pointing out that fact.

But the rule, along with the 2 minute minor, had to be instituted. There were times that defenceman would shoot the puck into the stands on purpose to get stoppages. A lot of times they were shot out of the playing surface, not just lobbed.

That and the incident of the death of the girl in Columbus years ago.
The pucks that hit the women mentioned were not travelling at speed. They hit the top of the glass and came down flipping through the air. It was dangerous batting the puck out at speed. He deserves what he gets and it should be the same as Damiani IMO.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
It is simple if the rule is 5 games and it fits in the buy back criteria then he plays. If he out for 5 games because it doesn't meet the requirements than Lennex will be the man. It is in the leagues hands now. Stupid move all the way around.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It is simple if the rule is 5 games and it fits in the buy back criteria then he plays. If he out for 5 games because it doesn't meet the requirements than Lennex will be the man. It is in the leagues hands now. Stupid move all the way around.
From Saxon:
In 2012 Cody McnNaughton got 5 games and in 2013 Ryan Horvat got 5 games, both for flipping pucks into the stands during a stoppage. Both were aiming at the glass but missed.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
From Saxon:
In 2012 Cody McnNaughton got 5 games and in 2013 Ryan Horvat got 5 games, both for flipping pucks into the stands during a stoppage. Both were aiming at the glass but missed.

But that's not the issue. The issue in this example is that this is the playoffs. Of course he deserves the five games like everybody else. But, if it is in the rules that this suspension can be bought back, then that trumps everybody's feelings.

Reactions: Finster8

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I saw Dennis Wideman try to flip the puck of the glass and catch it and it rolled over the glass and dropped on the other side and he got 5 games. Saginaw is now f***ed because of that brain fade.

Reactions: TheCoach

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

It's unfortunate but we're probably moving towards having the mesh encircle the entire rink in the not too distant future. It sucks for viewing the play but fan safety will always prevail.

BPFox

Nov 21, 2014
It may be a made up term, but it is the term that has been used for decades in this league regarding suspensions of this nature.
The way I look at it, wrong is wrong no matter how long it's been said. You can't "buy back" a suspension unless you had first sold it. It is just as easy to say it right as it is to say it wrong. Just so you know, I correct people who call their water heater a hot water heater. How dumb is that, why on earth would you ever need to heat hot water? That's just me. Words mean things and I think they should be used in a way that makes sense. What can I say?

Reactions: dirty12

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The way I look at it, wrong is wrong no matter how long it's been said. You can't "buy back" a suspension unless you had first sold it. It is just as easy to say it right as it is to say it wrong. Just so you know, I correct people who call their water heater a hot water heater. How dumb is that, why on earth would you ever need to heat hot water? That's just me. Words mean things and I think they should be used in a way that makes sense. What can I say?

I suppose. What if that water heater is stolen? ;)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
But that's not the issue. The issue in this example is that this is the playoffs. Of course he deserves the five games like everybody else. But, if it is in the rules that this suspension can be bought back, then that trumps everybody's feelings.

Yeah you're not going to get anywhere with him. You can't use slang, idioms, or colloquial phrases in an argument with him. You're just going to get caught in endless pointless loop.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It's unfortunate but we're probably moving towards having the mesh encircle the entire rink in the not too distant future. It sucks for viewing the play but fan safety will always prevail.
Watching the Ranger rookie camp at Activa Rink in Kitchener yesterday. It's has netting right across the seating area. Even where we sit down low at the Aud pucks still come in and hit fans. The Aud employees are right there getting the victims to sign a waiver or something like one.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Whatever the outcome of Ivan’s antics on Saturday, I think your team is still in good shape. Young Mr Lennox is definitely the best 16-yr old goalie out there. He’s not much of a downgrade from big 50. In my humble opinion, better than Popovich at the other end. So all the team has to do is play the way they did in the final 3 minutes of period 3 and in the OT frame, and away we go...
Would be a great opportunity for him to establish himself as a top goalie for the next 3 years... may never have a better team in front of him.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If and when Ivan misses games, who the heck is going to be back up? I don't believe we have any other goalies signed in the system other than Lennox and Prosvetov. Can we sign someone under emergency conditions?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
If and when Ivan misses games, who the heck is going to be back up? I don't believe we have any other goalies signed in the system other than Lennox and Prosvetov. Can we sign someone under emergency conditions?

I assume they would be able to bring someone in under emergency conditions. Slim chance the league forces a team to play with only one goalie during a suspension or injury in the playoffs especially with all the games televised. The optics if an opposing player crashed the net a little to hard to try and force an injury would be a major issue.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

If the five game suspension stands, you should be able to call up a goalie from somewhere to be back up. If you do not have another goalie signed in your system, then I believe Guelph would have to agree to allow you to sign someone on as a free agent to get back up.

Don't hold me to this though. I have no idea. I'm just going by what happens in the NHL.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Big game tonight, what ever the outcome is we adjust and move on. Lennox is a capable rookie who can hold his own. His team D in front of him will have to play smart hockey and make it easier on Tristan if he in fact gets the start. Who will back him up as Kingpin has mentioned. Regardless, play hard one shift at a time. Go Spirit!!

Reactions: bcspragu

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

yes there is an emergency goalie provision. Not sure how that would work in the playoffs, but one exists. Maybe borrow UPL on loan? Joking.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
yes there is an emergency goalie provision. Not sure how that would work in the playoffs, but one exists. Maybe borrow UPL on loan? Joking.

I mean I look like I'm 19. Give me some pads and I'll gladly open and close the door for a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad