Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I’m having a bit of fun on the Oshawa thread. They’re discussing goalies and think all the good ones are in the east. Really hope they get a chance to see Ivan. He’s an absolute stud; makes at least 2 or 3 steal saves per game and is absolutely the reason for your team’s success
He is easily in the top five.

Reactions: Texcanuck

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
He is easily in the top five.
I was at the game last night, and frankly, without a few big saves by the big guy, it could have been a very different story. Great goalies make saves on a regular basis that are pivotal to the game’s outcome. There are only a handful in the league who do that on a regular basis, and Prosvetov is definitely one of them.

Reactions: bcspragu

BPFox

Nov 21, 2014
I think a tender with a bit of character as long as it's not egging on the opposition in front of their bench is something with a bit of class and enthusiasm. I agree with you BFX that its classy but not over showboating.
I think if he had done that for the first time at this game, folks could have something to complain about. The fact that he has always done that this season after a shutout, to me just makes it a goalie thing. He doesn't "flip" the goal. He actually just lowers it gently to the ice. He only does it if he shuts the other team out. Skaters get to celebrate goals all game long. This quiet shutout celebration is just his thing.

Reactions: AttackSound

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
We talk about our vets but we have 6 rookies who have all gained some playoff experience.
Perfetti GP-10 G-5 A-5 P-10
Baber GP-11 G-3 A-4 P-7
Millman GP-10 G-2 A-3 P-5
Cardwell GP-5 G-1
Lemieux GP-5
Lennex- 6 shots and 5 saves
Keep up the hard work, the knowledge gained by the rookies is exponential.
Go Spirit!!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Wow Prosvetov what are you thinking...... That's a 5 game suspension. Only question is can you buy that back in the playoffs? I have no idea the answer to that

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
No, tossed up it in the air and whacked it!

Ranger's Damiani got 5 games for an unintentional flip over the mesh so probably...

Luke Cavallin got 5 games earlier this year after a whistle.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Bode Wilde ties up the game on a 6 on 4 with just over a minute left. Biggest goal of his career. Place went wild. Then McLeod scores the winner in OT.
Love the play of the rookies who come up big tonight. Lennex, Perfetti, Millman and Baber.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Bode Wilde ties up the game on a 6 on 4 with just over a minute left. Biggest goal of his career. Place went wild. Then McLeod scores the winner in OT.
Love the play of the rookies who come up big tonight. Lennex, Perfetti, Millman and Baber.

Craziest game I've ever been too.

Really hope this is a suspension they can buy back, if not, we may be back at the Dow 2-2. Tremendously stupid play. He's so talented but between the ears idk sometimes. Had to get this game considering what we might be lacking for the next coupl games.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Really hope this is a suspension they can buy back, if not, we may be back at the Dow 2-2. Tremendously stupid play. He's so talented but between the ears idk sometimes. Had to get this game considering what we might be lacking for the next coupl games.

The only suspensions that you're able to buy back in the playoffs are automatic suspensions. For example, second fight same stoppage of play is an automatic 2 gamer that can be my back. Because this is an automatic suspension, it may be able to be bought back. Something like a hit to the head where the league issues a suspension cannot be bought back.

I do not believe there is a precedent set for this type of suspension, for this particular act, in the playoffs. I may be corrected, but to my knowledge, this has not come up in the playoffs in the past.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015

Yeah he might be gone for a few. Never really understood the whole buying a suspension back, what are they telling players its OK don't worry will just buy the suspension back makes no sense. I think if you get suspended then you sit, its plain and simple, but hey that my opinion. Best of luck

Reactions: MJ5 and ottersguy

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
The only suspensions that you're able to buy back in the playoffs are automatic suspensions. For example, second fight same stoppage of play is an automatic 2 gamer that can be my back. Because this is an automatic suspension, it may be able to be bought back. Something like a hit to the head where the league issues a suspension cannot be bought back.

I do not believe there is a precedent set for this type of suspension, for this particular act, in the playoffs. I may be corrected, but to my knowledge, this has not come up in the playoffs in the past.
Unless the league decides to review it for additional games then it wouldn't be able to be bought back that would be the only way they can get around Saginaw buying it back. I dont think with the blatantly of him batting it out it should be bought back, thats just reckless and dangerous for the fans in attendance.

Reactions: MJ5

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Unless the league decides to review it for additional games then it wouldn't be able to be bought back that would be the only way they can get around Saginaw buying it back. I dont think with the blatantly of him batting it out it should be bought back, thats just reckless and dangerous for the fans in attendance.

I doubt the league would tack on extra games. When you shoot the puck over the glass/twine into the stands, and the league deems it was done on purpose, the suspension is 5 games period. A Ranger goalie a few years ago did the exact same thing and got five games. That came at the end of the game when, as we all know, many fans are turning and getting ready to leave or already walking out with their backs to the ice. They aren't paying attention and could easily be hit with a puck. Some could argue that this is a more dangerous situation than what happened in this situation.

I still contend that if automatic suspensions can be bought back, as in the example in my above post, then this one may be bought back.

The only issue is that this particular offence, to my knowledge, hasn't happened in the playoffs in the past.

Sure he knew what he was doing and purposely did it. But players know darn well that engaging in a second fight same stoppage is an automatic two games. Yet at times they do it. When that happens in the playoffs, it has been bought back in the past.

BPFox

Nov 21, 2014
I think it's the term "buy back the suspension" that is what throws people off. That's not what is happening. On some "suspension" worthy penalties it's either pay by lost games, or pay a fine. "Buying back the Suspension" is a made up term, not an official one.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think it's the term "buy back the suspension" that is what throws people off. That's not what is happening. On some "suspension" worthy penalties it's either pay by lost games, or pay a fine. "Buying back the Suspension" is a made up term, not an official one.

It may be a made up term, but it is the term that has been used for decades in this league regarding suspensions of this nature.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Conversely the Storm captain commits an equally puzzling play just after, and the momentum swings back to the Spirit

That's junior hockey, and the young minds that play it.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

I'd think the penalty for attempting to injure a fan would not diminish in the playoffs. The same risk, and liability exists.

But then, I don't work for the league. In this case, I believe, anything is possible.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->