Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPFox

Nov 21, 2014
I do agree with you. Saginaw is not squeaky clean by any means. My argument was solely that the 10-1 game was not "hotdoffing" as Dale put it. I put my opinion of an example of hot dogging. It is all in the character of the players, not the score.
Now, the behavior of Prosvetov after games is a concern to Saginaw fans, and I do not think anyone has posted that they are thrilled that he flipped the net and flashed the "Too sweet" sign. But, if he was going to do it, at least it was against the Soo because of last year. Any other team, we would be very embarrassed.
Prosvetov does not "flip the goal". He actually gently pulls it down and has done that all season after a shut out. It's his way of saying "this goal is closed for the night". I love it. It's simple, it's a goalie thing and I have absolutely no problem with it. I like a goal tender who plays with heart but has a playful side as well. If you don't want him to lay the goal down, just score a goal. Problem solved.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Man, now that Guelph is healthy and has had time to actually play together all at once, they are turning into the team we all thought they'd be. Going to be a tough series. Probably even at forward at least from a depth perspective although they probably posses higher end talent. A wash on defense and goaltending is our advantage. I'm going to say us in 6 but that's really hinging on us taking the initiative in games 1 and 2. We'll have home ice and the extra days rest. Going to be fun.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I like Saginaw's chances in this series. Your team is full of snipers so you shouldn't have trouble scoring goals against Guelph. As long as you can keep your Goals against average below 4 you should take the series in 6 games.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Tippett zero points in your most recent 3 playoff games, after being an unstoppable stud in the first 7. Is this a cause for concern? Injuries?
Just curious... good luck tomorrow!

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Tippett zero points in your most recent 3 playoff games, after being an unstoppable stud in the first 7. Is this a cause for concern? Injuries?

Not sure why, but they moved McLeod to another line. I think they need to be paired up again. Cannot move them just because Tippet doesn't score, stay with the line that is hot and they will figure it out! Same thing happened with Perfetti and Gilmour. After Game 1 they put Gilmour on the line, they all connected well, then about Game 4 they move Perfetti back and the line lost some chemistry. So not sure about Tippet, but I would imagine he will be ready, just hope he is with McLeod and Gilmour again.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He still looked dangerous every time he got the puck. I think the Soo started to do a better job of taking away his space, and I believe he hit iron in the last 3 games so puck luck might have had something to do with it too.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
He still looked dangerous every time he got the puck. I think the Soo started to do a better job of taking away his space, and I believe he hit iron in the last 3 games so puck luck might have had something to do with it too.

Yes, I am sure the game plan of the Soo and Guelph was and will be to shut down Tippet.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

Good point and also was trying to back check a little more than usual. I like that Coskey has 6 games under his belt and is another guy if he gets hot who can fire the puck.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Good point and also was trying to back check a little more than usual. I like that Coskey has 6 games under his belt and is another guy if he gets hot who can fire the puck.
Coskey has been really good for you guys since his return.
McLeod I though put the team on his back for game 6. Looked really poised, and really helped maintain the calm in the middle of the game.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

No not really a cause for concern IMO. We're deep enough that even if a team focuses in on Tippett or Perfetti or whoever, that someone has the ability to step up. The northern boys (Baber, Porco, Giroux) are a good example of players that can step right in if others are hitting a cold streak.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
No not really a cause for concern IMO. We're deep enough that even if a team focuses in on Tippett or Perfetti or whoever, that someone has the ability to step up. The northern boys (Baber, Porco, Giroux) are a good example of players that can step right in if others are hitting a cold streak.
That's the thing. If you have enough horses you can spread them around and most teams can't put out 3 shut down lines - problem is Guelph has a few horses of their own.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This should be a really entertaining series, I always thought the Spirit had a good team all season long and this will be a great series best of luck to the Spirit

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Perfetti 4pt, Coskey 3pt, Gilmour 3pt, OGrady +6 always good to have a good strong 1st game. As we know Guelph is a team that does not give up. Going to be a good series. Go Spirit!!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Perfetti 4pt, Coskey 3pt, Gilmour 3pt, OGrady +6 always good to have a good strong 1st game. As we know Guelph is a team that does not give up. Going to be a good series. Go Spirit!!

Really good start. Guelph probably coming down from the London series and on short rest helped us. Also really good to see Coskey integrating almost like he was never out. That is huge.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Prosvetov does not "flip the goal". He actually gently pulls it down and has done that all season after a shut out. It's his way of saying "this goal is closed for the night". I love it. It's simple, it's a goalie thing and I have absolutely no problem with it. I like a goal tender who plays with heart but has a playful side as well. If you don't want him to lay the goal down, just score a goal. Problem solved.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I think a goalie needs a certain amount of confidence, cockiness, and swagger to go with skill, to be successful .

When Jordan Binnington played in Owen Sound, he had it in spades. I loved when he was not pencilled as the starter, he was a joy to watch on the bench. One of the leagues best trash talkers , he gave as good as he got.

All he did was take his team to the Memorial Cup at 17.

I like that Prosvetov . Very entertaining, and very talented.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

I think a tender with a bit of character as long as it's not egging on the opposition in front of their bench is something with a bit of class and enthusiasm. I agree with you BFX that its classy but not over showboating.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Watched most of the game and I still believe that the Spirit have the best chance at taking the conference. The size of the Spirit is a playoff team. They're big mobile and aren't afraid to mix it up and create their own space on the ice.

They're a great team this season and have shown why they finished 2nd in the conference.

Best of luck in game 2 !!

Reactions: Finster8

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I’m having a bit of fun on the Oshawa thread. They’re discussing goalies and think all the good ones are in the east. Really hope they get a chance to see Ivan. He’s an absolute stud; makes at least 2 or 3 steal saves per game and is absolutely the reason for your team’s success

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I’m having a bit of fun on the Oshawa thread. They’re discussing goalies and think all the good ones are in the east. Really hope they get a chance to see Ivan. He’s an absolute stud; makes at least 2 or 3 steal saves per game and is absolutely the reason for your team’s success

Shhh. Don't tell them. Let it be a surprise.

It's a little humorous when folks try and order these guys when in reality, at least at the OHL right now, there's like 4/5 (Keyser, UPL, Prosvetov, Dipetro/Andree) guys at the same level. I don't think there's one that's WAY above another. It doesn't really matter what order they get put in. They all are incredible goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad