Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Soo fans are hypersensitive.... Yet you guys are crying over hotdogging... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

the only reason it’s coming up is your brought it up, you complained when someone hotdogged against you guys but was fine last year. if you don’t bring it up no one says a peep. all your doing is proving coccogimos point. same players hot dog, don’t complain about it when your own team did it the year before :laugh::help:

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
So is it not hotdoffing when saggy scores 10 or?

I'll chime in. What has had Spirit fans (and players from last year) aggravated this year comes from last year's playoffs game 2 in the Soo, when already up 6-0 on Saginaw, Howdeshell does a lacrosse goal to score in the third period. Shortly after, Hayton scores a meaningless 8th goal with a between the legs highlight goal. Then the Soo players celebrated by skating by the bench flashing the "too sweet" hand signs (I rechecked the video highlight https://deadspin.com/minor-league-hockey-team-stunts-on-blowout-victims-with-1824082750 ). THAT is hotdogging and becomes material you hang in the locker room to get the team ready for the next time (which was this year).

In game 2 (10-1 score) this year, the Spirit players ceased going by the bench to tap gloves (celebration train) at least for the two goals in the third period and possibly earlier. I don't remember exactly when they started just skating back to center ice, it just seemed odd.

Reactions: Finster8

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'll chime in. What has had Spirit fans (and players from last year) aggravated this year comes from last year's playoffs game 2 in the Soo, when already up 6-0 on Saginaw, Howdeshell does a lacrosse goal to score in the third period. Shortly after, Hayton scores a meaningless 8th goal with a between the legs highlight goal. Then the Soo players celebrated by skating by the bench flashing the "too sweet" hand signs (I rechecked the video highlight https://deadspin.com/minor-league-hockey-team-stunts-on-blowout-victims-with-1824082750 ). THAT is hotdogging and becomes material you hang in the locker room to get the team ready for the next time (which was this year).

In game 2 (10-1 score) this year, the Spirit players ceased going by the bench to tap gloves (celebration train) at least for the two goals in the third period and possibly earlier. I don't remember exactly when they started just skating back to center ice, it just seemed odd.

both teams did the exact same thing, that’s the point. one team isn’t classless and one team isn’t innocent. it all equals out and anyone trying to claim that their team is squeaky clean has the most rose coloured glasses available

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
both teams did the exact same thing, that’s the point. one team isn’t classless and one team isn’t innocent. it all equals out and anyone trying to claim that their team is squeaky clean has the most rose coloured glasses available
I do agree with you. Saginaw is not squeaky clean by any means. My argument was solely that the 10-1 game was not "hotdoffing" as Dale put it. I put my opinion of an example of hot dogging. It is all in the character of the players, not the score.
Now, the behavior of Prosvetov after games is a concern to Saginaw fans, and I do not think anyone has posted that they are thrilled that he flipped the net and flashed the "Too sweet" sign. But, if he was going to do it, at least it was against the Soo because of last year. Any other team, we would be very embarrassed.

Reactions: OHL4Life

louis

Apr 3, 2014
I am upset that we ended up with this crappy talk after a decent series. I didn't think that the fans were enemies.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Don Cherry has an agenda, always has. I disagreed with his assessment then, and I still do now. Let's break it down based on what Cherry showed in the clip.
1) Jack Kopacka scored a goal to go up 5-0 then said something to the defenseman. This happens all the time. Is this hot dogging? Then half the league are hot dogs.
2) Keeghan Howdeshell scores a "lacrosse style" goal to go up 7-0. Is this hot dogging? This is a skill play. Are we not allowing skill plays now?
3) Barrett Hayton scores a "between the legs" goal to go up 8-0. Is this hot dogging? These kinds of goals are being scored all the time in the NHL and nobody thinks twice. Of course junior players are going to work on these skills too. They are expected to. Just another skill play IMO.
4) Keep in mind these 3 kids were not first line players last season. Was Barrett Hayton's "too sweet" celebration after the 8th goal hot dogging? He did it only briefly, and it was spontaneous and directed towards his bench in celebration, not the other team.

If Saginaw wanted to play the pity card, and use it for inspiration this series, power to them. But in my opinion, Prosvetov's actions this season, and particulary in game 6 of this series, were much worse. They were pre-planned, deliberate, directed to the Soo Fans, and done in a spiteful manner.

I don't care about running up the score. It's the playoffs, everyone has been burned by thinking their lead is safe when it wasn't. I was fine with 8-0 last year, and likewise I was fine with 10-1 this year. I won't lose sleep over Prosvetov's actions, but they certainly deserve being called out. Which is what we have done.

I still hope Saginaw goes the distance. One bad apple doesn't spoil the bushel if it's caught early. The rest of the team are well respected. I sincerely hope they can pull Prosvetov back in line. He's too good a goalie to get this kind of reputation.

Good luck in the next round.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Don Cherry has an agenda, always has. I disagreed with his assessment then, and I still do now. Let's break it down based on what Cherry showed in the clip.
1) Jack Kopacka scored a goal to go up 5-0 then said something to the defenseman. This happens all the time. Is this hot dogging? Then half the league are hot dogs.
2) Keeghan Howdeshell scores a "lacrosse style" goal to go up 7-0. Is this hot dogging? This is a skill play. Are we not allowing skill plays now?
3) Barrett Hayton scores a "between the legs" goal to go up 8-0. Is this hot dogging? These kinds of goals are being scored all the time in the NHL and nobody thinks twice. Of course junior players are going to work on these skills too. They are expected to. Just another skill play IMO.
4) Keep in mind these 3 kids were not first line players last season. Was Barrett Hayton's "too sweet" celebration after the 8th goal hot dogging? He did it only briefly, and it was spontaneous and directed towards his bench in celebration, not the other team.

If Saginaw wanted to play the pity card, and use it for inspiration this series, power to them. But in my opinion, Prosvetov's actions this season, and particulary in game 6 of this series, were much worse. They were pre-planned, deliberate, directed to the Soo Fans, and done in a spiteful manner.

I don't care about running up the score. It's the playoffs, everyone has been burned by thinking their lead is safe when it wasn't. I was fine with 8-0 last year, and likewise I was fine with 10-1 this year. I won't lose sleep over Prosvetov's actions, but they certainly deserve being called out. Which is what we have done.

I still hope Saginaw goes the distance. One bad apple doesn't spoil the bushel if it's caught early. The rest of the team are well respected. I sincerely hope they can pull Prosvetov back in line. He's too good a goalie to get this kind of reputation.

with all due respect, this all started by a soo fan by the name of dale coming on here and ripping saginaw for celebrating and being classless. all anyone was saying was 'wait, you guys did the same thing last year'. no one is claiming innocence, but its not like the soo was innocent either, both sides have black eyes or some sort and end of the day, who cares?

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I dont think anyone cares. But we are bored and have nothing better to talk about anymore.

How about that Tiger!
Truth be told - it’s serving me well in getting me through most of my work day!!

I haven’t said it yet but best of luck to Saginaw in round 3. Well deserved opportunity.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Congrats on reaching conf finals.

Loaded ?

Do Saginaw fans wanna see Guelph or London next round and why :)
I think anyone would pick the team that's only won 1 out of the last 4, versus the team that's won 4 straight.
GKG

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Congrats on reaching conf finals.

Loaded ?

Do Saginaw fans wanna see Guelph or London next round and why :)

Both are good teams so trying to pick one you want to face because its easier is not possible.

But if we play London, Game 4 is home on my birthday and the scratches from London normally sit in front of us. The younger Keane and Panwar are both super fun to talk to. Great kids. So I'll go with London.

Want to see Saginaw with the sweep for my birthday..... I kid I kid. :sarcasm:

Reactions: aresknights

Sagman

Nov 27, 2018

Really? Hockey Skill? Lets say he would have missed the "Lacrosse" style goal in a close game. WTF do you think his coach would have said then. Between the legs goal happens all the time. Really? How many times has this happened? Were they close games or somebody showing off? Don't be a douche. They were hotdogging and so was our goalie. Just admit what it was. GEEZ

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Because I am bored and have nothing better to do

How many of those games are blowouts?

Noone cares if you score between the legs or lacrosse in a competitive game because your right they are skilled plays. But let's face it last years Saginaw Soo series wasnt competitive. Showing up an outclassed opponent goes beyond skilled competition.

Its scoring that way in a blowout and then to top it off celebrating like you scored the cup clinching goal after thats the hotdogging that people had the issue with. if you cant grasp that by now you never will.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
then to top it off celebrating like you scored the cup clinching goal after
Wow, flashing too sweet to your bench for a second is the celebration to top all celebrations? Remind me not to book it to Saginaw to see you guys beat Ottawa in 6. I would be disappointed in the post game for sure.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Eh, who really cares? Toe may toe/toe mah toe. In the end the goal is to get more goals. Make sure your opponent doesn't have an opportunity to beat you. If you consider it hot dogging then fine. 10-1, or 8-0. You have every right to. These people are adults or kids wanting to turn pro. Get used to the competition. If you let large numbers on the scoreboard effect you then get better at your 2 way game. I was taken aback when Ivan dropped the net to the ice and then realized.. Shut out. Good for him. Tradition and goalies are a very superstitious breed. He gave some hand gesture walking off the ice. That's fine. We in the stands were chirping him all night trying to throw him off his game. So he got the last laugh. Next year Saginaw. Next year! Good luck the rest of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->