Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph was the first star last night (a third liner). Gogolev is finally getting healthy and his strength and creativity are returning. Toropchenko is hitting hard and is capable. Commisso has a great GAF meter and has potted a few this post season. Hillis out decreased the depth but our bottom 6 is solid.
I would argue that Guelph's ability to stick to 9 forwards for extended periods turned around the series with London. The Knights just couldn't match the grind of Guelph's top 9 and their size. When the Storm shortened their bench it actually worked against London's plan of rolling all 4 lines with efficiency

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ralph was the first star last night (a third liner). Gogolev is finally getting healthy and his strength and creativity are returning. Toropchenko is hitting hard and is capable. Commisso has a great GAF meter and has potted a few this post season. Hillis out decreased the depth but our bottom 6 is solid.

I was in the building. Ralph had a good game. As did a few other players. But Lennox was easily the number one star no matter what the star selectors thought.

Reactions: StorminNorman

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Wow did you Saginaw folks get caught taking a “pi**” in Mr Branch’s corn flakes? Both were suspendable no doubt but he surely didn’t cut you any breaks. 5 games for being an idiot and 4 for the head shot in the Conference Final. Had to watch the replay on the head shot a few times to really appreciate the impact......

Best of Luck but that’s going to be hard to overcome thank goodness you held home ice by posting two wins? Really pullin for the youngin between the pipes I hope for his OHL careers sake he continues to play well.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Wow did you Saginaw folks get caught taking a “pi**” in Mr Branch’s corn flakes? Both were suspendable no doubt but he surely didn’t cut you any breaks. 5 games for being an idiot and 4 for the head shot in the Conference Final. Had to watch the replay on the head shot a few times to really appreciate the impact......

Best of Luck but that’s going to be hard to overcome thank goodness you held home ice by posting two wins? Really pullin for the youngin between the pipes I hope for his OHL careers sake he continues to play well.

The five games was automatic for that offence. League had no say in how many games.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw has a decent top 9 that will have to match Guelph's top 9
Giroux-Gilmour-Coskey
Perfetti-McLeod-Tippett
Porco-Jenkins-Busdeker or subtle changes as Lazary sees it.
Katic should be close to returning and on a line with Goldowski RW, Katic LW, Baber in the middle.
Katic a big boy who could be close to returning and would provide some muscle that we lost with Murray gone for 3 more games. Hill is another big strong D who could see some action.
Go Spirit!!

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Saginaw has a decent top 9 that will have to match Guelph's top 9
Giroux-Gilmour-Coskey
Perfetti-McLeod-Tippett
Porco-Jenkins-Busdeker or subtle changes as Lazary sees it.
Katic should be close to returning and on a line with Goldowski RW, Katic LW, Baber in the middle.
Katic a big boy who could be close to returning and would provide some muscle that we lost with Murray gone for 3 more games. Hill is another big strong D who could see some action.
Go Spirit!!

Katic played last night in Game 3. Millman was hurt in the game making the Spirit even thinner on defense than before.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I was wondering about Millman - will he be back in for game 4?

Really hope so. Kid is steady and can't really afford to be down another defenseman.

Would like to see Lemieux put in as the 6th D (assuming Millman can go). Throw him out on the odd shift here and there and double shift someone like O'Grady on the last pairing otherwise. Let Busdeker go back to forward. Need his forechecking ability up front.

Reactions: Saggy

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Do we have a thread for Off-Season? I see all the other teams but not ours...

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Do we have a thread for Off-Season? I see all the other teams but not ours...

Don't know if you're being tongue in cheek about our chances the rest of this series or not?

If you're not: Season threads get changed to offseason threads when a team is eliminated or fails to qualify for the playoffs. You are still welcome to post about offseason stuff here like recently drafted prospects or future lineups. The title just won't say offseason.

Reactions: LDN

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Hell no.....not tongue in cheek at all....think we go up 3 to 1 after tonight's game.

I was just wondering who will be back...seems like a lot of decisions need to be made based on the amount of 99s (I think 8 and can only keep 3). Also wondering what players from Draft (this year or last year) could step in. Goalie is an obvious concern.....Lennox is awesome but then the cupboards are bare.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Here's an off season shocking tidbit for you Saggy, both Kingpin and I were in agreement in picking the Spirit first round draft pick this year, Connor Punnett. Will treefrogs be a falling from trees???

I will also agree with him that we need Busdeker for his offensive forechecking tonight, not back, even though he plays well for a forward on D.

No long cross ice passes getting out of our end and thru center ice. Keep the passes tight and simple and cut down on the turnovers. Don't be afraid to dump the puck out of our end if in trouble.

There, that is all.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hell no.....not tongue in cheek at all....think we go up 3 to 1 after tonight's game.

I was just wondering who will be back...seems like a lot of decisions need to be made based on the amount of 99s (I think 8 and can only keep 3). Also wondering what players from Draft (this year or last year) could step in. Goalie is an obvious concern.....Lennox is awesome but then the cupboards are bare.

As far as 99’s there’s:
Tippett- Signed by Florida. Not back next year.

Prosvetov- Not signed right now by Arizona. Despite all the drama, he has still performed very well and should be signed this offseason. 90% likely he’s gone next year.

Webb- Not signed right now by the Wings. He knows his game and he plays it. Not a high ceiling by the floor is steady. 50/50 on if the wings sign him. With Yzerman now, Idk.

Coskey- Decent chance someone adds him to their system, but I think whoever takes him may want him to replicate or even build on this last season. 70% chance he’s back next year.

Davis- Screams Canadian University to me, but I’d be good with him back on the blue line. Responsible defender.

Gimour-Not signed by the Wings right now. Having a good postseaon to complement his two way game currently. Wings have had guys like his in the past (See Campbell, Elson, Turgeon in GR). 60% chance he’s back next year.

McLeod-Not signed right now by the Oilers. Will be most likely. Gone next year.

Busdeker-Shoe in for one of the OA spots and a letter.

So really it comes down to one of Gilmour, Davis, and Webb. If Webb and Gilmour get signed. Then the problem solves itself.

Prospects from last year or this year:
Punnett would likely take a spot on D. Cardwell and Lemiuex should both slot in full time. Mitchell Smith (D) and Carter Mazur (F) are the only other guys from the 2018 class I’d worry about signing but they both have NCAA commitments. From 2019, Bloom might push for a spot. Cole Hipkin was really nice pick in the 6th. Will be interested in how he performs in Junior A/B next year. If we could sign Jurecki, I think you see him crack the line up.

Goalies:
Have heard good things about the Andreakos kid we drafted. Could be Lennox’s back up in 20/21. For next year we can just bring in a 19 year old vet to mentor/backup Lennox for a season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Goalies:
Have heard good things about the Andreakos kid we drafted. Could be Lennox’s back up in 20/21. For next year we can just bring in a 19 year old vet to mentor/backup Lennox for a season.
Good idea. That will flow nicely after this season bringing in a 19 year old vet to show Lennox what not to do.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
4-1 Spirit and take a 3-1 lead in the series. Perfetti with 2G, Tippett and O'Grady with one each. Lennox stops 36 of 37 shots good job boys. Go Spirit!!

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->