Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Kingpin794

Kingpin794 Smart A** In A Jersey

Yeah that was a very close game until a questionable call on Gilmour gave the 67's a 5 on 3. Certainly wasn't the end all be all but shifted momentum solidly on their favor. Will have another shot tomorrow to against Guelph and get on vs another contender.

Also Danny Katic will be out 4-6 weeks after sustaining an upper body injury against the 67's. Really tough break as him and the fourth line were really coming along lately.

2. Kingpin794

Cardwell called up to help with the short bench.

3. Finster8

Finster8 Grimsby

With Cardwell up it gives him a chance to get some TOI and gain some experience, maturity for next season. Katic out as his game was coming along.

4. Finster8

Finster8 Grimsby

Another tough one tonight, Guelph will be wanting to gain 2 important points. The Spirit will need lots of offense and some solid goaltending. There is five points separating them and same games played.

5. Slap Shot Rick

Slap Shot Rick Registered User

A good old fashion 4 pointer tonight.

6. Saginaw 2019

Saginaw 2019 Registered User

hammer Time

7. swoopster

swoopster my "helmets"

Retired
    oh stop all the bullcrap....a team that gave away future talent that can't play one lick of defense. Built around a premeir d man who was no clue as to how to play that part of the the game. A coaching style that thinks run and gun will get them there....

8. Kingpin794

how did I know this was going to be one of the first posts after last night?

As bad as last night was, they have to forget it. They're still up on Guelph, which is the important part. Move on and get a couple wins to end the week and get momentum back.

9. Finster8

Finster8 Grimsby

Guelph is an excellent team. They spent and acquired more at the deadline. It still will come down to injuries, goaltending, team cohesion, coaching, and opponent in the playoffs.
    SSM- play Saginaw 3, London 2, Oshawa 2, Niagara 2, and Sudbury 2
    SAG- play SSM 3, London 3, Oshawa 2, Guelph 1, Flint 3
    If we can catch SSM then Guelph doesn't matter. We were due for a bad game. The sky is not falling yet, yes we lost and played bad but time to move on with a couple games against Flint who have been playing well lately.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    three dog night and Otto like this.
  10. Sagman

Sagman Registered User

Totally agree with you swoopster. They have maybe 2 defenseman that can play defense. The rest are all worried about putting up points. Its just crazy to me that these players get rewarded but play horrible defense. The goalie...…….talk about inconsistent! All the theatrics need to be put away and just worry about stopping pucks

11. Kingpin794

Yep right there. 3 games against the Soo and 3 against Flint could decide the division. Move on, learn and focus.

12. Finster8

Finster8 Grimsby

The goalie...…….talk about inconsistent! All the theatrics need to be put away and just worry about stopping pucks[/QUOTE]

Prosvetov has won 15 of his last 20 games not bad for an inconsistent goalie. With 3 SO and a save% of .901 give the kid a break. Is he supposed to win every game or not have a bad night. If he steals one it's alright but one bad game and he is a bumb, ridiculous.

Otto likes this.
  13. NamesAreHardToChoose

NamesAreHardToChoose Registered User

Don't forget.

Guelph was also without :

Entwistle
    Hillis
    Toropchenko
    Gogolev
    Hanley.

That's five key players right there.

Do I think that means anything? No. But Guelph didn't play all their cards in that game.

Nonetheless, Playoff hockey is completely different. I think Guelph is the best equipped team in the OHL for Playoff hockey. Big team and a lot of grit. Going to be hard to get past them.

14. Kingpin794

Considering the weather and conditions of the roads, did they even get a chance to practice this week? West side of the state was ridiculous. Didn't go into work Monday. Almost couldn't make it out to main roads Tuesday, and then the blowing snow started. Don't know what it was like around Saginaw but can't imagine it was much better.

15. NamesAreHardToChoose

NamesAreHardToChoose Registered User

It was pretty bad up here too. Doubt many teams had a lot of practices this week.

16. Living Vicariously

Living Vicariously Registered User

When did Saginaw arrive in Guelph. I thought I read somewhere they came in Monday, but don’t hold me to that.

17. Sagman

Sagman Registered User

Prosvetov has won 15 of his last 20 games not bad for an inconsistent goalie. With 3 SO and a save% of .901 give the kid a break. Is he supposed to win every game or not have a bad night. If he steals one it's alright but one bad game and he is a bumb, ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
    Hey Finster…...do not put words into my mouth. I did not call him a bumb. I called him inconsistent which up until he got on this most recent run, that's what he was.....inconsistent. .901 is not going to win them anything. He needs to get better as well the D group. Offensively they will be fine but the road to advancing far will be determined by the goalie and the D group.

18. BPFox

BPFox Registered User

The goalie...…….talk about inconsistent! All the theatrics need to be put away and just worry about stopping pucks

I want to see the theatrics after every game. Why? It's simple, he only does the theatrics after a win. Why on earth would any Spirit Fan not want to see the theatrics?​

Finster8 likes this.
  19. nofriendsinhockey

nofriendsinhockey Registered User

Jesus, throw Lennox a bone and start him vs flint...

20. Kingpin794

He'll probably get tomorrow night. Prosvetov has made a lot of saves on grade A's so far so I can't fault CL for playing him tonight.

21. Saginaw 2019

Saginaw 2019 Registered User

Wow
    What is going on
    We won 4-2
    1 shorty
    1 penalty shot
    Our pp has been switched up
    Our pk has been switched up
    We seriously are not being run by the coach but by the gm and others , we r playing too political
    And by that Saginaw will suffer

22. Kingpin794

Got see them live today

-Can attest to the suspect defense. Prosvetov was great and stopped 3/4 grade A chances. A lot of the odd man rushes came off broken plays or bad passes. If they can connect of some of them, they're fine, but if they continually can't, you can't be that aggressive against better teams.

-Wilde drove me crazy. Had a few really boneheaded passes in the first. Settle in after that. He'll be eaten alive in the AHL if he goes next year. He'll be better served to stay in junior.

-Baber is gonna be a good one. Will just need the ice time. Hopefully he gets it next season.

-Overall, lucky they have Flint this weekend because that was sloppy play tonight. Need to tighten it up big time.

23. Finster8

Finster8 Grimsby

Is it just me or are other fans a little curious when we will see Tippett and McLeod start to play like they can. I know they bring to the table experience, leadership and attributes that are not on a score sheet. Here are a couple stats
    Tippett GP-12 G-3 A-7 P-10
    McLeod GP-12 G-4 A-6 P-10
    Coskey GP-12 G-10 A-9 P-19 last game not recorded
    Wilde GP-12 G-3 A-8 P-11
    Perfetti GP-12 G-6 A-5 P-11
    A defenseman and a rookie are right with them but they should be putting up numbers close to Coskey and with 19 games left we need them produce like they are capable of.

hockeylegend11 likes this.
  24. swoopster

swoopster my "helmets"

Retired
    Wow something like I had said, you laughed at, and now you witnessed...hmmmm

25. Kingpin794

1) didn't laugh at what you said. Just knew that after an 8-2 game, someone was going to start with the doom and gloom.

2) I get the sense you don't believe any issues can be fixed? I think there's certianly room to improve but we're definitely not in a place where we have no chance.