Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
I think the spirit are under rated. I think they have a real shot in the west, but people seem to focus on a couple of other teams. The spirit are a very solid team. I wish them the best (especially if they play you know who)! ;)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I think the spirit are under rated. I think they have a real shot in the west, but people seem to focus on a couple of other teams. The spirit are a very solid team. I wish them the best (especially if they play you know who)! ;)

They might not have as many of the flashy names as some other teams but they're deeper than others and added a lot of playoff experience without disrupting good chemistry they had going before the deadline too. Even if they don't win the division, I'd still take them in a series against the Soo. 2 line teams get tripped up in the second round nornally. Now if we get Guelph or London, might be different.

Reactions: Attackfan72

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Even if they don't win the division, I'd still take them in a series against the Soo. 2 line teams get tripped up in the second round nornally.
Your 3rd line is scoring at about 0.75 points per game, our 3rd line is at about 0.5 points per game.

Sure, your secondary scoring is a bit stronger than ours, but I think it's a little more nuanced than saying Saginaw is a 3 line team, and the Soo is a 2 line team.

Regardless or who wins the division, we both need to stay above Guelph if we want to meet in the 2nd round. Or one of us needs to topple London for tops in the conference. Should be a fun finish to the regular season.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I wasn't watching but was that all because of the hit on Perfetti. Radio only gives you so much.
I didn’t see whole game but started to get more chippy after that. Not sure if Douglas specifically went after Perfetti or douglas just went after the first guy he saw with puck that he could get to after he got layed out

Reactions: bcspragu

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I didn’t see whole game but started to get more chippy after that. Not sure if Douglas specifically went after Perfetti or douglas just went after the first guy he saw with puck that he could get to after he got layed out

First person after Webb dropped him. OGrady was after 44 who head shot Perfetti earlier in the game.

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
Prosvetov is developing into an elite goalie in this league. 4-1 over Windsor Jenkins, Wilde, Perfetti and Busdeker provided the offense.
Cole Coskey 14pts so far in the month of January almost doubled every team mate , this kid is leading the charge

Reactions: bcspragu

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Thanks Daddy.

I do not deny it. I know.

Who cares if he is Cole's dad or not? Hes posting factual info and not being negative towards the other spirit players. I've been critical of Cole's play in the past (still think he hangs on to the puck a tad to long leading to some turnovers) but especially with McLeod now in the lineup with him he has taken a huge leap forward (moreso than he already took this season which is way better than last year) . They play very well with each other.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Who cares if he is Cole's dad or not? Hes posting factual info and not being negative towards the other spirit players. I've been critical of Cole's play in the past (still think he hangs on to the puck a tad to long leading to some turnovers) but especially with McLeod now in the lineup with him he has taken a huge leap forward (moreso than he already took this season which is way better than last year) . They play very well with each other.

I agree, Cole has proven himself lately that he will and can be a pro player. I just find it funny that daddy is still doing what he can to have people talk and promote him. Let him go, he will do it and is doing it. Cole is a pro player next season.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I agree, Cole has proven himself lately that he will and can be a pro player. I just find it funny that daddy is still doing what he can to have people talk and promote him. Let him go, he will do it and is doing it. Cole is a pro player next season.

He's really stepped up his game this year but I could see him back next year. In the past guys like Josh Shalla and Eric Locke have been drafted in their d+2 year after a breakout season and then returned for their OA year. It's really just going to depend on who takes/signs him and what their pipeline looks like.

Sagman

Nov 27, 2018
Well the club certainly has not shown any love to Coskey over the years. Every year its the newbies that get all the pub and what not. He never really received any support until LAz showed up. The old coach held Coskey to standards and let the younger players get away with the same stuff. If Coskey and one of the younger players have the same amount of points in a game, the youngster gets the player of the game choice. Look at the commercials and such. So if that is Dad doing the promoting, I have no problem with it. Somebody has to promote him!!!!

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Do you think he is the only father or uncle(like myself when Davies played) on these threads. Glad to see Cole doing well and I know about all the politics that come with the game. Lazary will make us a contender and as far as Smith he was a talent killer. Cole had problems from his rookie season and is proving he can hang with the best of them. Lazary 14-1-1 in the last 16 games and the team is progressing well. Not everyone trying to do it themselves.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Well the club certainly has not shown any love to Coskey over the years. Every year its the newbies that get all the pub and what not. He never really received any support until LAz showed up. The old coach held Coskey to standards and let the younger players get away with the same stuff. If Coskey and one of the younger players have the same amount of points in a game, the youngster gets the player of the game choice. Look at the commercials and such. So if that is Dad doing the promoting, I have no problem with it. Somebody has to promote him!!!!

Yeah its a weird situation in Saginaw in terms of marketing players to the local fan base. People like us who are on a message board about the team don't need any marketing towards us. We are the die hards, and know about Coskey's talent. But what sells tickets (gotta sell tickets to keep the team) to local fans who aren't as knowledgeable and might come to a game here or there are promoting the the Michigan born kids (Michigan people LOVE supporting local talent), promoting those kids who have been NHL drafted (fans might not know much about OHL hockey but assume drafted=good/exciting to watch for their entertainment dollars), and our most recent 1st round picks (once again to a average non hardcore fan 1st round pick=good/exciting). Sadly Cole is none of those things (should have been drafted though I'll fight anyone on that). That's why I feel he isn't marketed as much as other players such as Porco, Jenkins, Perfetti, Wilde and the like.

Not saying the coaching staff and management doesn't promote him within NHL circles, that is information I have no privy to. Although there was a recent Spirit article about contact Laz does have with NHL people about Cole.

More so than just Cole, I think this shows a problem Saginaw has with how it feels it has to draft from a marketing standpoint. Name the last time Saginaw took a defense man in the 1st round... 2006. It's just not marketable to draft a defense man that doesn't put up numbers here to the average fan. You never hear someone say wow that defenseman sure pins those guys in the corners, blocks a ton of shots, and can sure clear the crease. Its all goals and assists and to a lesser extent plus minus (dont get me started on that stat)

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well Cole Coskey is one cool hockey name :) He’s been implicated in the games I’ve watched. I think I’ve said Dom Papa’ s intermission interviews are in depth and one of a kind on the OHL pack. Also you got to get a kick out of Rosi :)

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
O'Grady suspended 4 games. Got a match penalty at the end of the Windsor game.

Wonder if Everett is ready to go?
This would be perfect timing to bring him back into the lineup. He is needed and no need to rush him along, however, if he's ready put him in easy situations and see how he responds.

BPFox

Nov 21, 2014
Well Cole Coskey is one cool hockey name :) He’s been implicated in the games I’ve watched. I think I’ve said Dom Papa’ s intermission interviews are in depth and one of a kind on the OHL pack. Also you got to get a kick out of Rosi :)

Here's a fun "Rosi" story for you. The year was 1973. Dennis was a fan favorite on the Saginaw Gears team. I had met this girl that I liked, but she wouldn't go out with me. I was 19, she was 17. I tried many times, but she always said no. My uncle gave me two free tickets to the Gears game. I called her again and she said yes this time. She liked hockey and especially Dennis Desrosier. That was October 28th 1973. That girl is now my wife. We have been married 43+ years and are season ticket holders for the Spirit. Just for the record, I still have those ticket stubs.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Spirit win 5-4 over the Petes. Coskey leading the charge with 2G + 1A keeping up his good play.
Busdeker played D as he replaced the suspended O'Grady and did a good job. Kingston tonight will we see Lennox in net I think. He needs to get in and get some game experience to further his development.

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
Spirit win 5-4 over the Petes. Coskey leading the charge with 2G + 1A keeping up his good play.
Busdeker played D as he replaced the suspended O'Grady and did a good job. Kingston tonight will we see Lennox in net I think. He needs to get in and get some game experience to further his development.

Tough loss ,
Last 2 losses have come to the hands of London and ottowa, both games they have out played us
Bad penalty’s by us , the only way we will have a chance to beat these top teams will be perfect games by everyone and goalie will need to stand on his head ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad