Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hi Spirit fans. Ranger fan here. What kind of player are we getting in Ryan Stepien?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Hi Spirit fans. Ranger fan here. What kind of player are we getting in Ryan Stepien?

Competes hard, will throw checks, and has a really good shot. Not draft eligible till next season. I think he has a really good chance to put up alot of goals in this league. Rest of his game needs to round into form.

Reactions: SYWTom

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
"TRADE: The Saginaw Spirit acquire Defenseman Justin Murray from the Barrie Colts in exchange for Ryan Stepien and a fifth round pick in 2020 (BAR)."

Really like Stepien's upside but no 2nd or 3rds given up is good value for us. Still leaves us with plenty of ammo to add a good forward.

Reactions: SYWTom

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Hate see him go but we needed a defenseman. Does anybody have the status of our down Dmen? The Spirit are as bad as an NFL team when it comes to talking about the extent of injured players.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Our next 3 games are against Sarnia and Windsor (2) in 3 days same division. If we do decide to get a forward this should be in the next 3 days. We need someone to centre Jenkins and Coskey makes us competitive for 6 huge points not to mention the rest of the year. I know easier said than done.
Murray was a good decision didn't cost much and still have plenty for a top 3 forward.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sarnia acquires Lamour, his numbers aren’t great. What’s his pay like? Any upside to him moving forward?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lamour trade looks like a pretty good deal for Saginaw. Opens up flexibility and getting a nice return on someone who is probably not super difficult to replace. Now Lennox can step in to take the backup job full time this year and prepare for potentially taking over the full time starting job next year. Cyrus Martin is an internal option to be his backup next year, or it will not be that hard to fill up the job through trade or the Import Draft (assuming Prosvetov is not coming back of course).

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Lamour trade looks like a pretty good deal for Saginaw. Opens up flexibility and getting a nice return on someone who is probably not super difficult to replace. Now Lennox can step in to take the backup job full time this year and prepare for potentially taking over the full time starting job next year. Cyrus Martin is an internal option to be his backup next year, or it will not be that hard to fill up the job through trade or the Import Draft (assuming Prosvetov is not coming back of course).

Lets not forget about Tyler Masternak as an option either. Currently rocking a 2.12 gaa and a .920 save percentage over 27 games in JR B. Probably a push with Lamour at this point really. I would expect him and Lennox to be in net next season with a rookie 3rd goalie. Plus remember Lennox isnt draft eligable till 2021. So he still has some room to grow.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Trade freeze is Monday with the draft picks we acquired in trades 2nd+3rd, 4th, 12th and one at draft time was a 2nd. Michnac was a5th, so was Murray, and O'Grady was 3,4+6. If we could trade Michnac and picks for Ruzicka. It opens an OA spot as well. No goals in 17 games from your OA-Import doesn't cut it. Just a thought, you only picked him up for a 5th.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Trade freeze is Monday with the draft picks we acquired in trades 2nd+3rd, 4th, 12th and one at draft time was a 2nd. Michnac was a5th, so was Murray, and O'Grady was 3,4+6. If we could trade Michnac and picks for Ruzicka. It opens an OA spot as well. No goals in 17 games from your OA-Import doesn't cut it. Just a thought, you only picked him up for a 5th.

Interesting idea. Michnac and a 3rd for Ruzicka, then go for Saigon or Brazeau? Outside of the box move but might be worth trying to pull off.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Murray was a player and a 5th so I think we could get away with a player plus a couple seconds for either Saigeon or Brazeau. If it's more than that, walk away and try for someone else.
Depends which player, but I can't imagine you would want to give up the ones that might make this deal work...

Sagman

Nov 27, 2018
Why would you make any trade right now? You are not going to beat London or Ottawa! You have a goalie that is inconsistent and you have a defense that does not know how to play defense----they are more worried about points. Just enjoy the ride for this year. With the right draft, next year could be big

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
We have sold and we have bought if you want to get better that's how it works. To always say next year gets old. We can be good this year and next. If we ever made it to a Conference Final is progress for the organization and atracks players to sign. I hope they make it interesting. If not than get guys who will be back next year. DD will have to decide what he thinks our direction is
Last year SSM was a lock to win and things happen.

Last edited:

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Merkley traded to Petes! Big move.

What's DD big move. I'm still hearing a 99 is involved with the Petes.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Why would you make any trade right now? You are not going to beat London or Ottawa! You have a goalie that is inconsistent and you have a defense that does not know how to play defense----they are more worried about points. Just enjoy the ride for this year. With the right draft, next year could be big

Don't have to beat London or Ottawa to make trading this year worth it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Interesting idea. Michnac and a 3rd for Ruzicka, then go for Saigon or Brazeau? Outside of the box move but might be worth trying to pull off.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go after Leufvenius from Sarnia, unless you specifically want a center? Michnac was a LW after all.

Although as I am typing this I realize that Perfetti, Porco and Jenkins are all LW's so you may want a center better than Prueter/Baber to go with Gilmour/Giroux. Just an FYI though, Ruzicka only has 3 more goals than Michnac this year, if goals are "the goal". Worse team, and definitely has a good track record, but he's not exactly a goal scorer right now either.

If you did get Ruzicka though, I would say Brazeau would be your target. You'd have three good LW's and C's, but there is a hole in the top 9 RW alongside Coskey and Busdeker. Brazeau would fit in perfectly.

In return, I think Goldowski + a couple of 2nd's makes the most sense for both teams. Goldowski is a larger RW who could immediately step into the top 9 hole left by Brazeau. He'd have more playing time there than in Saginaw. Saginaw can then let Ethan Cardwell play on the 4th line RW full time with Prueter and Katic. Baber can stay as an extra forward.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Merkley traded to Petes! Big move.

What's DD big move. I'm still hearing a 99 is involved with the Petes.

So either Cole Fraser, Nick Isaacson or Zach Gallant. I would guess Gallant because he is the only one who really fills a need. Saginaw has a ton of RD and LW's right now, unless they want Isaacson to upgrade Katic on the 4th line or something.

OHL Discussion

Mar 5, 2018
Hey Spirit fans. Coming to the game tonight. Just wondering if there is free wifi and if not should I be prepared to use my Data on my phone?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Hey Spirit fans. Coming to the game tonight. Just wondering if there is free wifi and if not should I be prepared to use my Data on my phone?

No free/unlocked wifi. Unless something changed from last year. There is a locked wifi but its password is in the team media guide given to scouts and visiting media if you know someone and get a copy.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So either Cole Fraser, Nick Isaacson or Zach Gallant. I would guess Gallant because he is the only one who really fills a need. Saginaw has a ton of RD and LW's right now, unless they want Isaacson to upgrade Katic on the 4th line or something.

I don’t foresee the Petes trading Gallant. More likely, the Petes add an established player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->