"Safest" Players in the Draft?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
To look at this purely from the standpoint of the BCHL, Riley Nash is the guy who I would say is the most guaranteed to have a lengthy NHL career. He certainly won't be the best player to come from the league this year for obvious reasons, but he's the closest thing to a sure-thing that the BCHL has to offer in 2006-07 from my perspective.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't think you can discount the talent the Danish are putting out...they are on the verge of becoming a hockey country and putting together decent talent. I'll throw out the Jannick Hansen card, I was so impressed with him in Portland in his WHL season that I thought he could have been a 2nd round NHL draftee. I was not surprised at all to see him with the Canucks this season, I think he's that good.

Alot of people discount these countries that don't normally produce talent, but say that to guys like Kopitar, Vanek, or Grabner. I don't think that your nationality should ever hold you back.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How can you say Cherepanov is a safe pick? With on Russian Transfer Agreement, that's the most risky you can be, picking a Russian who may develop but may never come over.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I think Machacek is a really safe pick in the secound round. Workhorse, good shot, decent hands and is a very smart player. Dynamite on the penalty kill and powerplay. He is such a complete player, and comes up huge when it matters most. I thought he was the best player on the ice in the final game. He is really good at working the boards and around the net. His signature move is to cut out in frount of the net to try and draw a rebound. He is a great defensive player, and has a good transisition game.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
I'd say Jakub Voracek would be one of the safer picks from what I've heard and seen. He's a complete player that could fit on any line and a great scoring potential.

toastman344*

JVR for me...That was the first guy that came to mind...

With his talent , size and strength...He seems like a can't miss kid for sure...

________

Feb 6, 2006
Patrick White.
At worst I see him as a third liner.
Upside is a possible sniper, though I'd project him as a second liner.

Default101

Alzner and Petricki would have to be the safest picks in the draft.

HABSMANIA21*

one of the three erie otters. Nick Palmeri, Zack torquato or Josh Kidd

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
If there's an agreement, then it will make it easier for the team who picked him to bring him over. So, yes, he's a lot more safer then.

What makes it easier? What's the difference? How will the agreement help in bringing player over ? :dunno: Right now NHL doesn't pay transfer fee, Kaigorodov, Lisin, Mikhnov, Malkin, Kulemin, Khomitsky were signed without agreement. Emelin and Koshechkin have plans to attend training camps in september from what I've heard. What will change with areement in place for russian players that they will leave to NHL with more desire? :dunno:

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kane is not a complete player-he can't backcheck his grandmother (he is more effective on the forecheck-not that he knocks anyone off the puck-he can't-but his quick stick on the forecheck does let him come aaway with the puck in scrums;obn the back-check he is useless because: 1. He is not strong enough to battlee the opposing forward off the puck and 2. He doesn't sustain his effort long enough when he is even with the guy he's trying to check (again a strength issue) ..and 3. He doesn't have enogh straight-line recovery speed to catch up to back check a guy who has gotten away from him/gotten by him (as opposed to say Kessel who is very speedy and could do so IF he appliedhimself); Kane it seems to me realizes these deficiencies on his backcheck and so gives up futilley toooften once a guy tries to get by him or succeeds in doing so...It also seems to me that Kane has little positioning clue at times in defending the lanes in his own zone--THAT,unlike the backchecking issue,is rectifiable with good coaching...the backcheck problem has more to do with strength and straight -line speed WHICH HE LACKS ( Kane when attacking with the puck is speedier than most but that is more due to agility/quickness in zig-zagging through and around defenders like they were pylons
rather than just sustained straight line speed ,or if he does go straight line on attack,it is more from anticipation and intial quick step accleration than the longer sustained catch-up speed one uses in backchecking--they are really 2 quite separeate manifestions of using speed..WHat I am saying is that guys CAN PULL AWAY from KANE quite easily and counter attack,but conversely on his attack,he can control the puck and is hard to check not so much from straight on speed,but more from his agility to turn at his top speed on a dime,Or if you do manage to get to him,the puck gets off his stick so fast on a shot or a pass to a linemate that you simply don't have time to check him effectively...

Thus KANE is NOT A COMPLETE 2-way player--but he is a MAGNIFICENT OFFENSIVE
ATTACKER...this means he still might be a great pick--but "safe" only inthat he can put up points,NOT SAFE in that he won't do much to prevent points being scored against his shift --you need to rely on others on your team to "cover" for his defensive liabilities.

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
What makes it easier? What's the difference? How will the agreement help in bringing player over ? :dunno: Right now NHL doesn't pay transfer fee, Kaigorodov, Lisin, Mikhnov, Malkin, Kulemin, Khomitsky were signed without agreement. Emelin and Koshechkin have plans to attend training camps in september from what I've heard. What will change with areement in place for russian players that they will leave to NHL with more desire? :dunno:

You're exactly right. Every player that wanted to come over last year came over. Malkin, Taratukhin, Mikhnov all came over and Russia cant do a damn thing about it. It's pretty simple, all the player has to do is hand their two week notice to the owner and he is free to leave after that.

Faktisti*

if u have a great vision, its enough to be a good player. i think its inpossible to not come a nhl player if u have great vision and also little bit other skills

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Safe in what way? A lot of these guys are safe in a way that even if they don't come close to their potential, they're still going to fit another role on the 3rd line (especially guys like Couture and Gillies for example). But would you waste a first round pick on a 3rd liner?

If you mean safe in a way that you just know they will develope well and be worth the pick as well, it's harder to say. I'd say JVR and Voracek are the best guesses.

I would count Cherepanov and Esposito... maybe Turris, as being the riskiest top picks.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The difference lays in a team's ability to influence the player's development for a year or two in the club farm system if they're not ready for the NHL club on day 1.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Man o man some of these predictions are TERRIBLE :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad