"Safest" Players in the Draft?

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I think that JVR is kind of a safe pick with his skill he should be a top six forward, but even if he doesn't pan out with his size and skating ability he should at least make it as a checking line forward.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Joakim Andersson. I think he'll be at least a good third line center in the Samuel PÃ¥hlsson mold.

AgentNaslund*

depends your meaning of safe. But Repik of the giants is what I see as a super safe pick. Gauranteed to make it as the NHL as a 3rd liner.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Alzner - Almost a guarantee he will be a good solid NHL defenseman - not Norris material but solid player.

I think this draft, even a the high end, has a tremendous amount of risk. While there is potential for many to be good NHL players there are questions about almost everyone.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Espotsito?

lol kidding! It takes a lot to be considered a safe pick. Pretty much Ovie, Sid, Geno... Those kind of guys. For this year's draft, there aren't many, simply because the high end talent isn't all there. But I have to agree with previous posters: Sweatt, Couture, Alzner and JVR seem to be the safest picks, even if they don't all have the highest upside.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Voracek and Alzner

You're bang on!

Voracek is the safest pick among forwards due to his two-way game, size and his willingness to compete every night. Kane and Turris have the most offensive upside but both have question marks.

Alzner's the safest pick among D-men but there are several other D-men who have the potential to be better players depending on their development.

Bam Beet*

Sweatt at worst will become a third line winger with good speed and PK abilities. At best he is a great second liner who can play 1st line at times and is good at both ends. A higher scoring, faster, Jere Lehtinen.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'll jump along with everyone saying Alzner; he's got top 4 NHLer written all over him...as was said before, not a #1 guy, but close.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

He's not a 'franchise defender' but he'd be another hard working defender... possibly like a Kasperitus. Someone who doesn't put up the points but worse his butt off every game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No mention of...

Brandon Sutter? (downside: good/dependable 3rd liner/solid 4th liner...upside: solid 3rd liner, the type you need in playoffs...warrior/winner).

He could be/is a "SAFE" pick, no?

Brandon Sutter is nothing like the previous generation of Sutters. If his last name wasn't Sutter he would never be considered gritty.

Finishes his checks well enough for the most part and backchecks well, but doesn't have an ounce of a mean streak and is about as far from a fiery competitor as it gets. Needs to use his size better, if anything. 1 fight in the WHL in 2 years.

To me, he's as risky as it gets. He's not a 'warrior' - he's a finesse center with an iffy skating stride who could be a top-6 guy in pro (nice frame, nice vision/playmaking skills) but IMO has a substantial chance of bombing completely. Huge variation between his upside and downside. Basically a project you hope fills out, develops and takes off.

He might very well develop into a checking center - a guy like Jiri Novotny had a very similar skill set at the same age, and was rated in the same area of the draft - but he could go all over the place.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Who are the "Safest" draft picks in this years draft? I'm looking mostly for the guys in the first two rounds, and their projected abilities.

Defenitly Pat Kane, and with Cherepanov at close 2nd.

A lock to score atleast around 60-70 pts per season in the NHL.

Got a little problems with the thinking behind mentioning smart, 2-way players as somehow safer picks then others?

They defenitly bust as often, or more often as others...

Make a chain of the steps and adjustments a player got to take before reaching the NHL, the shorter that chain is the safer the player is.

Kane is a complete player, dont have to make any adjustments, or correct any real flaws. His speed, stickhandling ect is so good that he can step-in in the NHL and contribute with them right away, no doubt.

Most of the mentioned so called smart 2-way players got to add weight, speed, smarts ect.

Last edited:

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Lars Eller and Alzner

Is Eller really one of the safest players in the draft? I don't know if it's because he's a Danish prospect and there are always question marks surrounding players coming out of non-traditional hockey countries, but I thought that any team willing to take a gamble on him was taking a big risk (?) ... maybe I was wrong, who knows.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is Eller really one of the safest players in the draft? I don't know if it's because he's a Danish prospect and there are always question marks surrounding players coming out of non-traditional hockey countries, but I thought that any team willing to take a gamble on him was taking a big risk (?) ... maybe I was wrong, who knows.

Well the reason i took him is partly because he might become the best Danish player ever, but it is not all that is to it.

I took Eller based on his solid skillset, and the fact that he does not have any reason weaknesses. Also because he has the psycical aspect of the game aswell, which hopefully will help him to adjust to the NHL easily.

Furthermore i take his work ethic into account, and his ability to keep his head down, and work hard EVERY single time he is on the ice. This kid just wants to get better and better.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Because of his size and speed, you would have to reckon Colton Gillies is a pretty safe pick. While his upside is up in the air, at worst, he's a Wayne Primeau-type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->