Sad News About Frenchy Martin

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Poor guy. :(

from 411mania.com:

The Journal de Montreal recently spoke to former WWE Superstar Frenchy Martin. After dealing with a severe battle of bone and bladder cancer, Martin (age 66) is only expected to live a few more weeks He has also now been placed in hospice care.

Martin told the publication, “I led an extraordinary life. I am proud to have succeeded in the world of wrestling. I am no more worthy than another, but I’m not afraid of death. I accept the result.â€

Martin’s wrestling career includes runs in Stampede Wrestling and Puerto Rico before joining the WWE roster in the 1980s.

On behalf of 411, our condolences to the family, friends, loved ones and fans of French Martin.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
That is sad; never really got to see him in-ring a lot in WWF because much of what he did was work house shows. I was actually watching a match with him and Koko B. Ware from MSG in April 1990 recently....a nothing match, but tremendous background to some of the best Vince and Jesse banter ever.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Wow, he was much younger than I would have guessed. I knew he was a wrestler first, but I'd only seen him 'live' as a kid while he was a manager.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
That is sad; never really got to see him in-ring a lot in WWF because much of what he did was work house shows. I was actually watching a match with him and Koko B. Ware from MSG in April 1990 recently....a nothing match, but tremendous background to some of the best Vince and Jesse banter ever.

You gotta love how Vince knows who Fatty Arbuckle and Gabby Hayes are, but not Freddy Kreuger. This is why you get Clark Gable references from JBL.

Any, RIP to Frenchy. I coulda swore he was in his 50's when I was a kid.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from today's pwinsider.com:

Author and historian Bertrand Hebert sent along the sad news that former WWF wrestler and manager Jean "Frenchy Martin" Gagne passed away this morning at 7:25 AM, several weeks after going into hospice care following a battle with cancer. He was 66 years old.

"I led an extraordinary life," Martin told The Montreal Journal last month. "I am proud to have succeeded in the world of wrestling. I am no more worthy than another, but I'm not afraid of death. I accept the result. "

Martin had long runs in Stampede and Puerto Rico before coming to the WWF in the 1980s, where he wrestled, did commentary, hosted an interview segment for international broadcasts and managed the late Dino Bravo among others.

On behalf of everyone associated with PWInsider.com, we'd like to send our deepest condolences to Martin's family, friends and fans.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
RIP Frenchy. One of the characters forever in my memory from watching WWF all the time as an '80s kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad