SabresTV: Beyond Blue & Gold – Latest: Dec 20

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sabres.com has a new feature series that will give an inside look of their hockey operations. I'll update this thread as they are released.

• Click HERE for S01 episodes of Beyond Blue & Gold.
  • Click HERE for S02 episodes of Beyond Blue & Gold.
  • --> Click HERE for currently airing S03 episodes of Beyond Blue & Gold.

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
That's pretty awesome, love that they're doing a series like that. Fans are always thirsty for more access, especially now.

Like I said yesterday, Pegula is in this for the long haul and is truly doing everything he can to change this organization and the culture around it to absolute first-class.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Snow commented on HH that the next episode is from the summer development camp... so some SEAL beach workouts are likely.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I enjoy these but each episode should really be 10 or maybe even 15 minutes. They go by so fast, it's hard to really get even marginally in-depth with each episode's topic.

I hope the Sabres get back in the Winter Classic solely for the purposes of them being on 24/7 :laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
To those that twitter .... Could you ask Snow .... If in the future ALL preseason games will be streamed on Sabres.com? If not, why?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I made a list of names I could decipher at the Sabres' draft combine in Episode 1, along with the round they were picked, overall pick number, and team that selected them:

Slater Koekkoek, defenseman (1st, #10 overall, Tampa Bay)
Mitchell Heard, center (2nd, #41 overall, Colorado)
Theo Blueger, center (2nd, #52 overall, Pittsburgh)
Cristoval “Boo” Nieves, forward (2nd, #59 overall, NY Rangers)
Daniel Altshuller, goaltender (3rd, #69 overall, Carolina)
Mattia Marcantuoni, center (4th, #92 overall, Pittsburgh)
Cedric Paquette, center (4th, #101 overall, Tampa Bay)
Dom Toninato, forward (5th, #126 overall, Toronto)
Linus Ullmark, goaltender (6th, #163 overall, Buffalo)
Brady Austin, defenseman (7th, #193, Buffalo)

Others who went undrafted:
Frederic Roy, now plays for the Amerks
Scott Diebold, a Cheektowaga kid who plays goaltender at RPI
Matthew Lane, a Rochester kid, and brother of Phil Lane; Matthew currently plays at BU
Alex Gudbranson, a defenseman for Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

It's fun to look at some of these guys and imagine what they may have been thinking at the time. For instance, many thought Koekkoek would be picked around the late-teens or early-20s. They may have been considering him for #21 if they could only get one of Grigs or Girgs.

The Blueger/Heard/Nieves trio may have been the 2nd round backup plan at the center position if they didn't get both Grigorenko and Girgensons. They may have been considering Marcantuoni and Paquette as 3rd rounders, but liked Kea better.

And it seems quite clear they wanted a goaltender in this draft, and got one in Ullmark, though he may have been (at best) their second choice to Altshuller, who went in the 3rd to the Canes.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The most interesting part of Episode 2 is Regier posing the hypothetical to his scouting staff whether they should consider trading #12 and #21 for #5 and #35, if that team's "guy" wasn't there. It doesn't take long to realize those were Toronto's picks, and the "guy" was Morgan Rielly, expressly confirmed by Burke's "we would've taken him #1 overall" bluster.

Still, imagine if the answer to that hypothetical was "yes"--and I do wonder why they never showed the answer--and Rielly was not on the board for Toronto? We may have traded up, grabbed Grigorenko at #5, but missed out on Girgensons, and then drafted some combination of Blueger/Heard/McCabe/Nieves in the 2nd round. Fortunate.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
You can hear Pegula say "He's a really good kid, he told me last night, he said if-" and it cuts out there
Id love to hear the rest of that sentence, and see if it was grigs or girgs.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
I made a list of names I could decipher at the Sabres' draft combine in Episode 1, along with the round they were picked, overall pick number, and team that selected them:

Slater Koekkoek, defenseman (1st, #10 overall, Tampa Bay)
Mitchell Heard, center (2nd, #41 overall, Colorado)
Theo Blueger, center (2nd, #52 overall, Pittsburgh)
Cristoval “Boo†Nieves, forward (2nd, #59 overall, NY Rangers)
Daniel Altshuller, goaltender (3rd, #69 overall, Carolina)
Mattia Marcantuoni, center (4th, #92 overall, Pittsburgh)
Cedric Paquette, center (4th, #101 overall, Tampa Bay)
Dom Toninato, forward (5th, #126 overall, Toronto)
Linus Ullmark, goaltender (6th, #163 overall, Buffalo)
Brady Austin, defenseman (7th, #193, Buffalo)

Others who went undrafted:
Frederic Roy, now plays for the Amerks
Scott Diebold, a Cheektowaga kid who plays goaltender at RPI
Matthew Lane, a Rochester kid, and brother of Phil Lane; Matthew currently plays at BU
Alex Gudbranson, a defenseman for Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

It's fun to look at some of these guys and imagine what they may have been thinking at the time. For instance, many thought Koekkoek would be picked around the late-teens or early-20s. They may have been considering him for #21 if they could only get one of Grigs or Girgs.

The Blueger/Heard/Nieves trio may have been the 2nd round backup plan at the center position if they didn't get both Grigorenko and Girgensons. They may have been considering Marcantuoni and Paquette as 3rd rounders, but liked Kea better.

And it seems quite clear they wanted a goaltender in this draft, and got one in Ullmark, though he may have been (at best) their second choice to Altshuller, who went in the 3rd to the Canes.

quality post :yo:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Here is who I had going to the combine back in the summer:

SABRES COMBINE 2012
Justin Kea, 93, C
Morgan Rielly 5, D
Brady Vail 38 C
Cody Ceci, 6 D
Tom Wilson, 15 RW
Malcom Subban G
Matt Finn, 16 D
Adam Pelech, 120, D
Scott Kosmachuk 24 RW
Derrick Pouliot 12 D
Scott Laughton 28 C
Mark Jankowski 43 C
Damon Severson, 48, D
Cedric Paquette c
Nick Walters 67, D
Ettienne Marcoux
Branden Trook 65, RW
Mathew Dumba
Matt Lane
Dylan Blujus 71, D
Olli Maatta

(number was their N. American ranking by CSB)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You can hear Pegula say "He's a really good kid, he told me last night, he said if-" and it cuts out there
Id love to hear the rest of that sentence, and see if it was grigs or girgs.

Wasn't it Zemgus who said something like "if you pick me, you won't regret it" or "if you don't pick me, I will haunt your team" or something like that...something very fiery and competitive....

...could have been talking about anyone, though...

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Awesome, but way too short.
They just look like trailers.
I'd love to see longer videos.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
maybe the Sabres are using this to try and get a tv deal for next offseason, because these are really high quality and took some real money to create, maybe they want their own hard knocks show

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Great set of videos. Good job Sabres...

A couple of thoughts....

1.) I wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes in the Navy Seal drills... (maybe 10 -15 minutes when I was 18....) Whoosh!

2.) looked like Woodlawn beach. I guess the lake's been cleaned up since I lived in WNY? (You would have been dead if you dipped your toes in the water where those windmills are now spinning)

3.) Drew Stafford? I mean.... Drew Stafford? talking about drills written up in crayon while at TGI Fridays?

lol!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad