GDT: Sabres@Wings 1/12/20 game 46 5:00p.m

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Totally a team loss. I don't want a goalie to bail them out in these kinds of games like it happened a lot last season.

I'm not sure anyone wants a goalie who can routinely save their bacon, but we also don't want a sieve back there making every mistake look far bigger than it should.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I'm not sure anyone wants a goalie who can routinely save their bacon, but we also don't want a sieve back there making every mistake look far bigger than it should.
True, but they're still pretty big mistakes and there's a lot of them pretty much every game. I'm not defending Howard, btw. Just curious how he's always getting the lion's share of the blame when the team is a total disaster.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Easier said than done with such a young team.
With solid goaltending and a couple proven defensemen and an extra competent center under 35, youthful mistakes could be more easily absorbed.
They could be teaching moments and not NHL highlights/lowlights that guys benched and in the doghouse.

What do you think benchings are mean to do? You don't bench guys that aren't going to learn anything from it. You do it with guys you can still make an impact on.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What do you think benchings are mean to do? You don't bench guys that aren't going to learn anything from it. You do it with guys you can still make an impact on.

Do you think I don't know that?
That's why Zadina played 11 and change tonight.

But here's the thing... a bad play that doesn't result in a goal often doesn't result in benchings or other potentially demoralizing results.
A bad play that does result in a goal IS demoralizing itself, and often results in demoralzing benches.

When you have a shit goalie who NEVER bails you out, you tighten up, afraid that every mistake will set you back.
And that's not a good way to play or learn.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not defending Howard, btw. Just curious how he's always getting the lion's share of the blame when the team is a total disaster.

Here's how:
Bernier 10-12-2, 2.99, .904
vs
Howard 2-15-1, 4.10, .880

Pro-rate that out over an 82-game season.

Bernier's stats put us about where we were last year.
75 points.
vs
Howard's ridiculous pro-rated stat.
23 points.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Easier said than done with such a young team.
With solid goaltending and a couple proven defensemen and an extra competent center under 35, youthful mistakes could be more easily absorbed.
They could be teaching moments and not NHL highlights/lowlights that guys benched and in the doghouse.
It's easier said than done getting solid goaltending when the team in front of you is constantly blowing coverage in critical areas. They're not losing most of these games because of Howard. They're losing these games because they're bad and he's not bailing them out at all. There's plenty of blame to go around.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's easier said than done getting solid goaltending when the team in front of you is constantly blowing coverage in critical areas. They're not losing most of these games because of Howard. They're losing these games because they're bad and he's not bailing them out at all. There's plenty of blame to go around.

So are you telling me that Bernier is Dominic Hasek?
He is providing passable goaltending.
Howard is among the worst regular NHL goalies I've seen in a long time.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Here's how:
Bernier 10-12-2, 2.99, .904
vs
Howard 2-15-1, 4.10, .880

Pro-rate that out over an 82-game season.

Bernier's stats put us about where we were last year.
75 points.
vs
Howard's ridiculous pro-rated stat.
23 points.
So you're saying the Wings should be a .500 team if not for Howard?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
It's not like there's one problem we need to fix on this team, guys.

Howard can be crappy, the defense can be crappy, and the offense can be crappy all at the same time

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
So are you telling me that Bernier is Dominic Hasek?
He is providing passable goaltending.
Howard is among the worst regular NHL goalies I've seen in a long time.
So you watched the game tonight and said "boy, we would've surely won that if not for Howard's awful goaltending"?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's not like there's one problem we need to fix on this team, guys.

Howard can be crappy, the defense can be crappy, and the offense can be crappy all at the same time

No, but when you want to know why this team is a 48-point team this year compared to a 70-73 point year?
A TON of the blame clearly falls on Howard.

I guess it's not Howard's fault. Who resigned him?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
No, but when you want to know why this team is a 48-point team this year compared to a 70-73 point year?
A TON of the blame clearly falls on Howard.

I guess it's not Howard's fault. Who resigned him?
Sure, but winning and losing tends to be a team effort in the long run. Howard has had some good showings that still ended up as losses. He's mostly been below avg to bad, though. Bernier has been very good as of late, but let's not pretend he's been rock solid throughout. Bottom line, the team is bad. The defense is hot garbage. Harping on the goalie non-stop just reeks of scapegoatism (spacegoatism).

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Actually it's "bruh" now. GenX still rules.
GenZ, ride or die. Come at me. Do you even avocado toast? I have some Howard swiss cheese as a garnish.

As a sidenote - sad state of affairs when people are bitching about a goalie that is clearly on his way out on a team that is just awful and features maybe 5-7 NHLers.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
GenZ, ride or die. Come at me. Do you even avocado toast? I have some Howard swiss cheese as a garnish.

As a sidenote - sad state of affairs when people are *****ing about a goalie that is clearly on his way out on a team that is just awful and features maybe 5-7 NHLers.
I don't disagree about Howard. I was just correcting you social media jargon, jeez, take some deep breathes. Also I don't wanna know what an avocado toast is, that's your business.

Reactions: RedMenace

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Quite interesting Carter Hutton had the same record. Last win in October.

Never heard the name until the last night when they mentioned his name.
Regardless, Howard is done as a starter in this league. His body simply can not keep up.

Howard historically plays awful after injuries -and he's been injured quite a bit- so not sure why people are surprised. Howard's MO has been play well, get injured, never get it back.

He just skipped the playing well part this season hah.

His numbers in October look spectacular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad