Confirmed with Link: Sabres vs Lightning in Stockholm on Nov. 8-9

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Flyers, Blackhawks, Sabres and Lightning to Europe in ’19-20

The NHL on Thursday announced that matchup and two games between the Buffalo Sabres and Tampa Bay Lightning in Stockholm in November as part of its now-annual Global Series.

It’s the third consecutive year the NHL is staging regular-season games in Europe and eighth overall. This will be Philadelphia’s first appearance as part of the series.

The games in Stockholm on Nov. 8-9 should feature a handful of Swedes, including Sabres 2018 top pick Rasmus Dahlin and 2018 Lightning Norris Trophy winner Victor Hedman.

”Yes!” was how Dahlin described his first reaction to learning the news.

”I was so happy. I wanted to have it, but I wasn’t expecting it in my second year,” the 18-year-old following a 4-2 loss to Toronto.

”It’s great for me, but I also think it’s going to be amazing for my family and friends, too, to be able to see a live NHL game,” Dahlin said. ”And me playing there, a lot of them will never have a chance to see me play hockey.”

Dahlin noted it could also be a homecoming for several teammates in a Sabres organization stocked with Swedish-born players. Goalie Linus Ullmark and Johan Larsson are from Sweden, as are minor-league prospects and Victor Olofsson, Rasmus Asplund and Lawrence Pilut. Forward Alexander Nylander was born in Canada, but has represented Sweden on the international stage.

”It’s so fun to share it with other Swedes,” Dahlin said. ”It’s probably the best thing that could happen.”

The Sabres opened the 2011-12 season playing Anaheim at Helsinki, Finland, and then Los Angeles at Berlin, Germany.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
They're trolling us. They've kept us captive in this horror show of a franchise for 10 years, and we've grown dependent on them even though we are just completely powerless to walk away. So they send the team whose entire fan base has Stockholm syndrome to Stockholm. They're trolling us. It's the only explanation.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
So if Phil's still in charge, Olofsson, Nylander, Dahlin, Pilut and Asplund (if he makes the team) all get benched/scratched while Tage, Vlad, Marco and Hunwick play, right?

Something along these lines.

I predict more realistically:
- Dahlin plays bottom pair minutes
- Pilut and Larsson are scratched
- Olofsson, Nylander and Asplund continue to be kept in ROC by Botts.
- Hutton starts over Ullmark

I think that about covers it.

Reactions: Mitts888

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Bet we will have a Swedish roster that will include:

Dahlin
Pilut
Larsson
Oloffson
Nylander
Asplund
Ullmark
Rackel :nod:

Not saying Asplund will be up all season next year but I would definitely bring him on this roadie.
#Teambonding

We have to trade all Finlish players now. :sarcasm:

Deleted member 27798

Not to nitpik, but maybe correct the title, as the games are in November, not at the start of the season. ;)

Reactions: Tsujimoto

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Åh nej, vi suger igen! Or maybe "still"... :biglaugh:

Getting their teeth kicked in on multiple continents? Awesome!

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Well shit. My niece is getting married in November in Buffalo. I was hoping to get my family to a game while we were up there attending the wedding. Just my luck; I think this is that same weekend.

Reactions: Chainshot

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Ah, so we're playing sideshow to TBL's European vacation.

But seriously, this is neat. Happy that our rookie is excited.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Do you have a couch? :D
I can provide a fatboy 13 minutes or so away... But my brother has an apartment next to it, except he has two babies between 0.5 and 1.5.

SO STOKED THAT THE SABRES ARE COMING TO ME! I'm really happy when I get to watch them lose before 4 am in the morning so this is like winning the (draft) lottery. Really happy that it's against Tampa as well since that means some high level hockey from one team at least.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can provide a fatboy 13 minutes or so away... But my brother has an apartment next to it, except he has two babies between 0.5 and 1.5.

SO STOKED THAT THE SABRES ARE COMING TO ME! I'm really happy when I get to watch them lose before 4 am in the morning so this is like winning the (draft) lottery. Really happy that it's against Tampa as well since that means some high level hockey from one team at least.

A beanbag chair would probably spell the end of me. :biglaugh:

Reactions: HaNotsri

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
$453 round trip flight from Orlando to Stockholm via Frankfurt. Holy shit, if I wasn't destitute I would totally book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad