GDT: Sabres Vs. LeBron Mayfields

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He keeps repeating those same old habits of hanging on to the puck too long, sometimes in the worst possible situations, like right in front of his goalie, or behind the goal, or any other "Don't **** around"-area. Not that it mattered too much yesterday, but even in a mostly meaningless game like last night i would feel at least a bit of shame towards my teammates by doing such unnecessary things.
He really has to get this show-off-element out of his game.
Who is he showing off for? A new babe? a trade? he is here for the next 7 years. Eichel makes plays because he has the ability to maintain possession in tight areas through strength and hands. The opposition has NHL players as well who make plays from time to time. Eichel is the least of this team's issues.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
He keeps repeating those same old habits of hanging on to the puck too long, sometimes in the worst possible situations, like right in front of his goalie, or behind the goal, or any other "Don't **** around"-area. Not that it mattered too much yesterday, but even in a mostly meaningless game like last night i would feel at least a bit of shame towards my teammates by doing such unnecessary things.
He really has to get this show-off-element out of his game.

I see it less as him showing off and more as him feeling like he needs to do it all himself because for a good portion of his early career he didn't have much help and DID need to do it all himself. I think it is just a habit he developed. I agree he needs to fix it though.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I see it less as him showing off and more as him feeling like he needs to do it all himself because for a good portion of his early career he didn't have much help and DID need to do it all himself. I think it is just a habit he developed. I agree he needs to fix it though.

I like creativity and letting elite players do their thing. I think this criticism is a bit overblown. :dunno:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I like creativity and letting elite players do their thing. I think this criticism is a bit overblown. :dunno:

All the elite primary puck-dominant players are prone to the same types of turnovers. Unfortunately it's the same cycle with everyone, for example; they'll try a move or dangle that works out 1 out of every 5 times:

In their first 2-3 years of a player's career, the fans concentrate on the one time it works: "wow did you see that!? That dude has crazy skills!"

After the first few years fans still appreciate the positives, but more and more start dwelling on the attempts that don't work.

Even later in the player's career, fans completely dismiss/ignore the good and only notice when things go bad. [Example - see "Afinogenov, Max" and "He ALWAYS makes his teammates go offsides"]

It's only a matter of time until fans start complaining about the 2-3 times per game that Dahlin tries to go 1 on 3 and turns it over in the neutral zone...

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
All the elite primary puck-dominant players are prone to the same types of turnovers. Unfortunately it's the same cycle with everyone, for example; they'll try a move or dangle that works out 1 out of every 5 times:

In their first 2-3 years of a player's career, the fans concentrate on the one time it works: "wow did you see that!? That dude has crazy skills!"

After the first few years fans still appreciate the positives, but more and more start dwelling on the attempts that don't work.

Even later in the player's career, fans completely dismiss/ignore the good and only notice when things go bad. [Example - see "Afinogenov, Max" and "He ALWAYS makes his teammates go offsides"]

It's only a matter of time until fans start complaining about the 2-3 times per game that Dahlin tries to go 1 on 3 and turns it over in the neutral zone...

Hockey is supposed to be fun to watch and play. Watching elite players making high-end moves is fun, and yes sometimes it doesn't work, but sometimes it does and wow - it gets you out of your seat. I'm fine with Eichel trying things. This isn't bubble hockey. :)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Hockey is supposed to be fun to watch and play. Watching elite players making high-end moves is fun, and yes sometimes it doesn't work, but sometimes it does and wow - it gets you out of your seat. I'm fine with Eichel trying things. This isn't bubble hockey. :)

Hey, I had a Super Chexx for a while, and it was damn fun...until nobody wanted me to beat them anymore.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
My buddy actually works for the company. I still can't get much of a deal but the dream is having one of those in my house. How did you even manage that!

Maybe I'll hint to him it would make a nice wedding present...

I am known to barter pizza and beer for other goods and would gladly make a similar deal with your friend :laugh:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I mean if you ask me Eichel has been pretty poor in all 3 pre-season games he's played, but I also don't think elite players are going 100% in pre-season

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I mean if you ask me Eichel has been pretty poor in all 3 pre-season games he's played, but I also don't think elite players are going 100% in pre-season

He's played only two games and has six points. :dunno:

Sorry - had to check the stats at another site. He's tied for the league lead.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
How has he played only two games? Pittsburgh, Toronto, Columbus....

Yeah, that makes no sense.

NHL.com doesn't have preseason stats that I can find.

FoxSports says 2 games - 0-4-4
USAToday says 2 games 1-5-6

Need to figure out what is going on.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
OK - Jack had:

Pens 1-1-2
Leafs 0-2-2
Blue Jackets 0-2-2

S0, 1-5-6

Six points in three games, all Sabres victories. I'll take it.
pretty much what you would expect from him given the competition and he wasn't going full speed most of the time.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
OK - Jack had:

Pens 1-1-2
Leafs 0-2-2
Blue Jackets 0-2-2

S0, 1-5-6

Six points in three games, all Sabres victories. I'll take it.

I mean of course he’s going to score points against 3 AHL teams.

I just think he was turning the puck over an uncharacteristic amount and was overall being sloppy (all 3 games)

As mentioned he probably isn’t going 100% in these games.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I mean of course he’s going to score points against 3 AHL teams.

I just think he was turning the puck over an uncharacteristic amount and was overall being sloppy (all 3 games)

As mentioned he probably isn’t going 100% in these games.

That's fair. It's hard to judge in preseason. But 6 points seems to be tied for the league lead in points for preseason so I'm sure lots of people are dogging. I'm sure it's harder for established stars like Eichel to have the same motivation in preseason as rookies like Cozens or guys on the fence like Lazar.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Jack hardly ever looks like he's going 100%. How can we tell the difference?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I didn't get a chance to post yesterday but wanted to pass on that I am liking our offensive look, approach and chances thus far this pre-season. VO, Johannsen, Skinner, Sam had a good night overall.

Seemed like same old, same old on the defensive side. Risto was in contact with his check behind the goal line but did not tie the puck up in his feet leading to the turnover and eventual goal. And Scandella's give away in his own zone was too typical.

Liking Gilmour, Miller and Joker on D..... in that order .... realizing they weren't up against Columbus's best. Cautiously optimistic at this point

Reactions: IlikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad