Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Was at the game, row 1.

Thoughts:

Vesey looked great
Ristolainen looked great in the o zone
Eichel looked great when he finally engaged in the final 40
Reinhart looked great, period

Columbus' B-team ate our transition game alive for the first 50 minutes of the game
An old Bill Walsh adage: "They played better as a unit than we did"
The above quote was abundantly clear for the entire game; we just had the decisive edge in talent to finish it
We still suck at playing as a 5-man unit
Olofsson and Skinner should swap PP spots right now
Mittelstadt was......bah. He had a few moments during the 3rd period blitz (almost the whole team did)

Sobotka and Okposo are still as anchor-y as last season.
Scandella sucked, but what else is new

Hutton was solid. He faced some real good looks, because, like I said, "They played better as a unit than we did"

I leave this game, not pessimistic about the season, but definitely lacking confidence.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
As it is in every non English speaking European country.
Au contraire. You need to know this stuff to order Jose Cuervo lol

1aHZMedIX7pwgPDw_PexBiAWLYx_NW2aVIiIULJq2IQ.png

This is the IPA - the International Phonetic Alphabet.
[dʒ] is the "j" in "jump", and [ʒ] is the "g" in "mirage".
[x] is a sound that doesn't exist in English natively, but in the word "loch", or German "Bach" (technically not, but it's similar).
[j] is the "y" in "yes".

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Was at the game, row 1.

Thoughts:

Vesey looked great
Ristolainen looked great in the o zone
Eichel looked great when he finally engaged in the final 40
Reinhart looked great, period

Columbus' B-team ate our transition game alive for the first 50 minutes of the game
An old Bill Walsh adage: "They played better as a unit than we did"
The above quote was abundantly clear for the entire game; we just had the decisive edge in talent to finish it
We still suck at playing as a 5-man unit
Olofsson and Skinner should swap PP spots right now
Mittelstadt was......bah. He had a few moments during the 3rd period blitz (almost the whole team did)

Sobotka and Okposo are still as anchor-y as last season.
Scandella sucked, but what else is new

Hutton was solid. He faced some real good looks, because, like I said, "They played better as a unit than we did"

I leave this game, not pessimistic about the season, but definitely lacking confidence.

I should of gave props to Tage tonight. I have some faith he is going to be a useful player.

Have the players picked up on the new system, did not look like it P1.

And forgot to mention Mitts has me very worried for him, and our top 9.

Agreed, Bott's has to find a way for these 3, Sobotka, Okposo, Scandella to disappear.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I should of gave props to Tage tonight. I have some faith he is going to be a useful player.

Agreed, Bott's has to find a way for these 3, Sobotka, Okposo, Scandella to disappear.
I don't think there really is a system, he was saying he wants to give players the freedom to play to their strengths rather than try and force a player to play in a system they may not be comfortable in and doesn't allow them to succeed.

Honestly if thats the case, its probably the most interesting idea we have had behind the bench, I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Au contraire. You need to know this stuff to order Jose Cuervo lol

1aHZMedIX7pwgPDw_PexBiAWLYx_NW2aVIiIULJq2IQ.png

This is the IPA - the International Phonetic Alphabet.
[dʒ] is the "j" in "jump", and [ʒ] is the "g" in "mirage".
[x] is a sound that doesn't exist in English natively, but in the word "loch", or German "Bach" (technically not, but it's similar).
[j] is the "y" in "yes".

Touché kind sir. I should have said Spanish as well. I overlooked France because they’re insignificant and Turkey is not Europe.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Still buzzin baby! Preseason victory over a B team, but whatever, I still think there were so many positives tonight.

-Risto looked so much better- hey, a decent coach and reasonable ice time/situational usage and he isn't terrible. Half of us called that. There will still be some bad moments, but he's capable of solid play.
-Johansson is a swiss army knife and I love it. I think his zone entry and ability to drive offense might be better than his finish, but we needed a guy who can get it into the zone and play multiple lines/positions. I was hyped on that signing, and he looks like he fits the bill perfectly.
-Thompson and Vesey looked.. good? I'm cautiously optimistic.
-Olofsson. Reinhart. Dahlin. Gilmour

Just a lot more positives than negatives- once again, one preseason game against a B squad, but they dominated the majority of the game and got the win. That's good enough for now.

-Scandella still sucks, I'm hoping Risto plays himself into staying and Scandella gets shipped.
-I worry about Mitts- he looked more involved tonight, but he still just looks a bit lost out there. Idk which works better, keeping him up knowing he might struggle or sending him down in a hard reset that might only shake him further.

I've said it before, I'll say it again- I like how Botts loaded up on defense. See who's playing best, have insurance for injuries, and ship the worst performer or the most overvalued guy outta town.

Oh, and if OT was actually Krueger's plan.. f***ing brilliant. Never force it in OT. Hold the puck, pick your spots, reset if it isn't there. Seems kind odd at first, but with so much ice the one thing you don't wanna do is lose the puck. Find the opportunity that looks best, take the shot, and if another opportunity isn't there.. set up and do it again. Don't think I've ever seen so much backpedalling, very.. futbol-esque to be honest.

Reactions: BananaSquad

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Still buzzin baby! Preseason victory over a B team, but whatever, I still think there were so many positives tonight.

-Risto looked so much better- hey, a decent coach and reasonable ice time/situational usage and he isn't terrible. Half of us called that. There will still be some bad moments, but he's capable of solid play.
-Johansson is a swiss army knife and I love it. I think his zone entry and ability to drive offense might be better than his finish, but we needed a guy who can get it into the zone and play multiple lines/positions. I was hyped on that signing, and he looks like he fits the bill perfectly.
-Thompson and Vesey looked.. good? I'm cautiously optimistic.
-Olofsson. Reinhart. Dahlin. Gilmour

Just a lot more positives than negatives- once again, one preseason game against a B squad, but they dominated the majority of the game and got the win. That's good enough for now.

-Scandella still sucks, I'm hoping Risto plays himself into staying and Scandella gets shipped.
-I worry about Mitts- he looked more involved tonight, but he still just looks a bit lost out there. Idk which works better, keeping him up knowing he might struggle or sending him down in a hard reset that might only shake him further.

I've said it before, I'll say it again- I like how Botts loaded up on defense. See who's playing best, have insurance for injuries, and ship the worst performer or the most overvalued guy outta town.

Oh, and if OT was actually Krueger's plan.. ****ing brilliant. Never force it in OT. Hold the puck, pick your spots, reset if it isn't there. Seems kind odd at first, but with so much ice the one thing you don't wanna do is lose the puck. Find the opportunity that looks best, take the shot, and if another opportunity isn't there.. set up and do it again. Don't think I've ever seen so much backpedalling, very.. futbol-esque to be honest.
Is there a single coach in all of hockey who doesn't understand that in 3v3 maintaining possession is everything?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Is there a single coach in all of hockey who doesn't understand that in 3v3 maintaining possession is everything?
Sure, but they were abandoning the offensive zone at the first hint of pressure, taking no risk of losing possession in making a play whatsoever. It was an exaggerated approach that I don't recall seeing before.

I think that was the point.

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018

I guess I just haven't seen it done to that degree, where you pass up on scoring chances and circle back outta the zone numerous times just because the opportunity isn't quite prime enough- then again I primarily watch Sabres during the regular season, so to answer your question: Yes, Housley exists.

Reactions: oldgoalie

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't think there really is a system, he was saying he wants to give players the freedom to play to their strengths rather than try and force a player to play in a system they may not be comfortable in and doesn't allow them to succeed.

Honestly if thats the case, its probably the most interesting idea we have had behind the bench, I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Which is scary, because this requires the team to have solid communication with one another, which we have shown, that when the going gets tough, these players have a hard time communicating with one another.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

It's not just Okposo's physical speed, which is problematic, but not so much so that a wiley veteran couldn't overcome it by playing smart (like Pommer). He seems to be mentally slow and incapable of making quick decisions. Not sure if that was the type of player he was pre-concussion, but the combination of the two types of slowness isn't suitable for the NHL.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought Eichel was pretty bad outside of his assist on Olofsson goal from what I saw (2nd-3rd period). He was turning the puck over like crazy.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Sure, but they were abandoning the offensive zone at the first hint of pressure, taking no risk of losing possession in making a play whatsoever. It was an exaggerated approach that I don't recall seeing before.

I think that was the point.

Sweet, so I'm not crazy for thinking it was a bit above and beyond what I've seen before. Obviously possession matters, but I just don't think I've seen a system emphasize it to the point where guys willing skate away from decent opportunities in hopes of finding a better chance with a reset. I'm really f***ing pumped on Krueger until proven otherwise, and somethin like that just shows me a strategic mind at work.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's not just Okposo's physical speed, which is problematic, but not so much so that a wiley veteran couldn't overcome it by playing smart (like Pommer). He seems to be mentally slow and incapable of making quick decisions. Not sure if that was the type of player he was pre-concussion, but the combination of the two types of slowness isn't suitable for the NHL.

I’d rather have Pommer than KO. Even with Jason’s relative lack of speed now, he still quick enough and short areas and smart enough to be in good position to make plays and capitalize on what speed players can do when he’s on the ice. I have no idea what KO is doing when he’s out there other than bearing his head and trying to work the puck below the goal lines. The only thing that he seem to be passable at last year with Larry and Gus.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I thought Eichel was pretty bad outside of his assist on Olofsson goal from what I saw (2nd-3rd period). He was turning the puck over like crazy.
He keeps repeating those same old habits of hanging on to the puck too long, sometimes in the worst possible situations, like right in front of his goalie, or behind the goal, or any other "Don't f*** around"-area. Not that it mattered too much yesterday, but even in a mostly meaningless game like last night i would feel at least a bit of shame towards my teammates by doing such unnecessary things.
He really has to get this show-off-element out of his game.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Agreed, nice to see Tage playing better.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Sweet, so I'm not crazy for thinking it was a bit above and beyond what I've seen before. Obviously possession matters, but I just don't think I've seen a system emphasize it to the point where guys willing skate away from decent opportunities in hopes of finding a better chance with a reset. I'm really ****ing pumped on Krueger until proven otherwise, and somethin like that just shows me a strategic mind at work.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Sweet, so I'm not crazy for thinking it was a bit above and beyond what I've seen before. Obviously possession matters, but I just don't think I've seen a system emphasize it to the point where guys willing skate away from decent opportunities in hopes of finding a better chance with a reset. I'm really ****ing pumped on Krueger until proven otherwise, and somethin like that just shows me a strategic mind at work.
Watch Kane and Toews. They do it religiously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad