Post-Game Talk (GBU): Sabres vs Leafs

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I believe Sobotka is being showcased for a trade.
Not even Santa takes Sobotkas cap hit.
Not sure anybody would take him off waivers if he was on 1mil/year.
He is a 4thliner but we already have a 4th line who is working, so he plays in over his head on lines 2-3.
He needs to be sent somewhere to hide him from Phil.
Its not a healthy fetish for the team.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I understand your logic. Certainly, I agree with aspects of it. But, I think that cliche is more about mentality than application. I want someone with that mentality, but to me it looked like a greedy player unwilling to buy in and play the team game.

Agreed. Particularly in the sense of giving and going and making the defense readjust.

Jack’s style has a certain NBA hero ball element to it. He wants to maintain possession on his own for as long as he can until someone gets open for a great shot. Versus, finding the open guy and getting himself into a wide open position for a shot.

As long as his athleticism holds up, he will be able to get away with that style. But it’s jarring to the eye, compared to most nhl star players.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
If I was “showcasing” Sobotka, I would be hiding him in his defensive role. Not counting rookies, he has been the worst player on the team.

Its a shame that the next worst has probably been Berglund.

One could argue that 3rd worst is Thompson.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

E-Rod has been far worse than Thompson the last three weeks or so. And I say that as a person who has been loudly trumpeting E-Rod's importance to this team for two years now. I don't know where his game went.

Reactions: Fearnot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
E-Rod has been far worse than Thompson the last three weeks or so. And I say that as a person who has been loudly trumpeting E-Rod's importance to this team for two years now. I don't know where his game went.

Some people lose the momentum when they are scratched, and when you scratch them a couple times in a matter of games, it's tough to get going again to the level they had going. Then you have guys who might use being scratched as a reset when they are playing poorly. It also helps when you come back that the coach puts you on the PP to help you gain that confidence back as well. Still it's up to E-Rod to get back to that level of play.

Reactions: Reddawg

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Yes but Thompson has huge upside and is young the other two are terrible.we should have got two first round picks UN protected to take them two pylons.nylander and Smith/oloffsson would be way more effective and would take the growing pains of them and our other rookies to grow together then watch them two hurt our team and drive me crazy with their lack of talent

Reactions: sabrebuild

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Agreed. Particularly in the sense of giving and going and making the defense readjust.

Jack’s style has a certain NBA hero ball element to it. He wants to maintain possession on his own for as long as he can until someone gets open for a great shot. Versus, finding the open guy and getting himself into a wide open position for a shot.

As long as his athleticism holds up, he will be able to get away with that style. But it’s jarring to the eye, compared to most nhl star players.

The best player in the NBA can take a poor cast of characters to the finals like 10 years in a row, because it's not so much a team sport. Hockey is a huge team sport, and you need to play as a team, "system hockey" if you will. Every player needs to be in sync and play the same style, pulling in the same way. Jack was going in his own direction, and not playing as a team.

To me the game against the Maple Leaf's seemed very, very different then style he has played all year. I hope he reverts back to the play maker that has led him to the 27 assists in 29 game thus far.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Erod has had some pretty bad plays lately. Ugly plays. Some real pet peeves of mine like a no look 360 spin pass to no one a couple weeks ago.

But I also still see a guy using his speed to force plays. I see a guy who is generally moving his feet. I think he is still a net positive during this bad stretch. And once he evens out a bit I think he will be an important top 9 player for the rest of the year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Erod has had some pretty bad plays lately. Ugly plays. Some real pet peeves of mine like a no look 360 spin pass to no one a couple weeks ago.

But I also still see a guy using his speed to force plays. I see a guy who is generally moving his feet. I think he is still a net positive during this bad stretch. And once he evens out a bit I think he will be an important top 9 player for the rest of the year.
I sure hope so, I love the kid but he needs a sit down with the coaching staff to knock off the flashy stuff that isn’t working and is actively working against him.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If I was “showcasing” Sobotka, I would be hiding him in his defensive role. Not counting rookies, he has been the worst player on the team.
Sobotka was the "rumored" cap dump in the ROR deal.
If I'm Botterill and Housley, I would he using him in many different roles. I don't see him in any future Sabres plans. If a team is in need of a defensive forward with some utility in his game (hence why 8 believe Housley is playing him in a variety of roles), his inexpensive contract with only 1 yr left may draw some interest, even if sparse.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I think this is a lot of it. He's forcing stuff. Trying to do too much.

Still one of the 6 best forwards on the team. (Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Sheary, Okposo being the other 5)

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
A little but...

G) Sitting on the edge of my seat screaming and feeling my gut in knots feeling like I want to puke during a regular season hockey game for the first time in a very long time.
B) Sitting on the edge of my seat screaming and feeling my gut in knots feeling like I want to puke during a regular season hockey game for the first time in a very long time.
U) 2.7 on the clock. Son of a bitch!

Great) Having so much emotion tied into a regular season hockey game. Freaking Awesome!

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If I'm Botterill and Housley, I would he using him in many different roles. I don't see him in any future Sabres plans. If a team is in need of a defensive forward with some utility in his game (hence why 8 believe Housley is playing him in a variety of roles), his inexpensive contract with only 1 yr left may draw some interest, even if sparse.

Or it reveals he is useless in those other roles.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand you are posing reasonable ways you would normally showcase a player of that type.

But Sobotka has just been bad all year. He has been a hard stop on offense. He hasn’t created more than 1 or 2 plays all year. And more frequently because he does get in position or follow the play ok, he receives a puck in transition or in the offensive zone and he just kills it. Either dumps it in, eats it on the board or looks confused until he is stripped of the puck.

I hope they can find a buyer, but at this point I would rather sit him, play Erod as 3C and bring up Smith or Olofsson.

There is no way that it could be a downgrade.

Maybe later this year.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Erod has somewhat regressed the last 5 games

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Sobotka is not inexpensive. He signed for 3.5mil for another season.
He is overpaid for what he offers.
1.5 mil is probably what he is worth given his age.
No team takes on this much salary for another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->