Post-Game Talk (GBU): Sabres vs Leafs

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@brian_griffin

I’d chalk Thompson’s struggles up to conditioning. He seems to be lumbering more than he had been. He’s really going to need to work on his conditioning to move that monster frame around every night. He needs to have those feet moving at all the times. He doesn’t have a quick burst and needs to hustle to make up for it.

Last edited:

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Maybe I am in the minority, and I only read half of these posts, but to me Eichel returned to the selfish player of old. He held the puck to long, refused to dump in, and refused to his teammates. Great, he had a few goals so everyone's happy. But he was selfish and seemed to use his teammates as a last resort option, instead of playing along side them. It's not the style of play you can exemplify and be a captain of a team that wants to elicit to future players.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Maybe I am in the minority, and I only read half of these posts, but to me Eichel returned to the selfish player of old. He held the puck to long, refused to dump in, and refused to his teammates. Great, he had a few goals so everyone's happy. But he was selfish and seemed to use his teammates as a last resort option, instead of playing along side them. It's not the style of play you can exemplify and be a captain of a team that wants to elicit to future players.
Elite players want the ball, or in this case, the puck. It’s not being selfish, it’s putting the game on your stick and then delivering. If anything, that will invigorate the team, not deflate them. It’s not as if he’s the reason other players aren’t scoring...they get the same 45 second shifts he’s taking and they aren’t getting it done. I would greatly prefer that he step up and do something about it than play a game of making sure everyone gets a chance to play.

Reactions: Hasek and Gordo21

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Elite players want the ball, or in this case, the puck. It’s not being selfish, it’s putting the game on your stick and then delivering. If anything, that will invigorate the team, not deflate them. It’s not as if he’s the reason other players aren’t scoring...they get the same 45 second shifts he’s taking and they aren’t getting it done. I would greatly prefer that he step up and do something about it than play a game of making sure everyone gets a chance to play.
I understand your logic. Certainly, I agree with aspects of it. But, I think that cliche is more about mentality than application. I want someone with that mentality, but to me it looked like a greedy player unwilling to buy in and play the team game.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Good:
-Sabres playing 5th game in 8 days, 4th in 6th with 3 of those against some of the top teams in the NHL, and 2nd of a back-to-back, and came out flying against the Leafs. This time last year we were lamenting Sabres not showing up for the first period most nights, let alone being competitive against the top NHL teams for 65 minutes.

Bad:
-Thompson taking two stick penalties - especially the one on the PP!!:ha::mad::thumbd: Then, late in the 3rd about 5 min remaining in regulation, taking his sweet ass time on a line change.
-Seemed to me the Leafs D gave BUF a lot more time and space with the puck in the slot than you'd expect a purported lock for the Cup to permit an opponent.

Ugly:
-About 5 minutes into the game when Berglund was quasi-hooked / tripped from behind in the low slot with no penalty called, the sudden realization the Sabres would need to beat both the Leafs and the Refs tonight. The feeling was reinforced in the second period when Girgensons was interfered with at the Sabres blue line, mugged up against the boards while attempting to contain / play the puck.
-Pierre McGuire's infatuation with Dahlin. It's like he wanted a hot tub date or something.
-The female Leafs fan, audibly apparent on the NBCSN broadcast, with the pre-pubescent shrieking of the ubiquitous yet redundantly banal and mindless "Go Leafs Go".
-Austin Matthews porcine snout. Serious endorsement potential there for Hormel, Jimmy Dean, Cargill, Maple Leaf, Johnsonville, Great Canadian Meat Co., etc.

Question: How was Austin Matthews first goal not disallowed for closing the hand on the puck? He clearly turned his wrist over.

I'll work the rest of my GBU comments into replies below...

I saw the Leafs having pure fits with Larsson-Berglund-Girgensons last night.
It was bizarre the NBCSN crew was surprised by Housley's usage. It's not been a secret he prefers to open road games with that line, and has preferred to match them against opponent's top lines.

I could see the goal at the end of the second period coming. Pilut, for as great of a game as he had, on the defensive zone play prior to the goal, went to the Sabres far corner to backcheck the Leaf forward with the puck. He let up right before contact, I'm sure to avoid a hit to the numbers of a player facing away from him. If it were Bogo or Risto, they'd have turned their hips to make hip-to-hip check and delay the Leaf from playing the puck. Leaf was able to play the puck cleanly enough and a lap around the rink and rush bask up the ice and the pucks in the net. Just needed a little more tie up on that preceding play to slow the time/pace down and get to intermission.

They'll have to execute Marleau to stay cap-compliant if that's the case.

I actually agree with Housley. Mitts was far less effective last night than Sobotka, and Sobotka nearly poked the puck away from Matthews before his shot. I don't think you could have inserted another forward into that last goal and had a guaranteed stop against Matthews. It was an A+ snipe.

I thought Bogo's skating and breakouts were great. He's been outstanding this season, IMO.

(and)

Wholly agree. TOR doesn't scare me. TBL are fast, skilled, and physical. Vasilevski back and they are a force. Domingue is not even close in goal.
After watching Dahlin, it's apparent Red Wings fans have been worshiping a false idol.

Again, I thought Sobotka played it very well, almost had the poke check by the diameter of a puck or so, Matthews pulled it back.

Or, need a Jochen Hecht-like player who can put up 40 points and play a complete 200-foot game.

Glad you went to this one. I had similar observations.

Exactly my view.

Like Pulp Fiction blowtorch and pliers????
He needs to be paired with Skinner in OT so he can go to open space. Give Eichel Sheary.

7% difference in FO% is huge on a sufficiently large data set. But unless a player is very low - Mittelstadt level or worse, it's still likely a coin flip for a single-event situation. Unless one player really knows another's tendencies. (My response ignores whether or not Sobotka himself should have been out there, but again, I don't fault him on the GWG.

Re: Austin Matthews:

It’s very tough for someone to convince me Austin Matthews Isn’t the Love child of Sidney Crosby + Tyler Kennedy

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I understand your logic. Certainly, I agree with aspects of it. But, I think that cliche is more about mentality than application. I want someone with that mentality, but to me it looked like a greedy player unwilling to buy in and play the team game.
Well...if the team game ain’t workin...

Reactions: Hasek

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Meh. We had a timeout... should of took it and put Jack back out there.. Sobotka should not be leaned on for anything defensive
Just relating what I think is Housley's mindset. And how he looks at his players. Not an endorsement. Just a perspective.

Agree that Sobotka isn't my choice for an OT. But Housley increasingly goes to him in situations where I sure wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerz

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
So you are saying two things.
A) Less puck time for them most skilled offensive player on the team
B) Eichel should play on par with the team as opposed to the team upping their level of play
C'mon Hue Jackson.

Eichel should hold that puck as long as it takes for his linemates to get into favourible positions or until the opposing team decides to double/triple team him.

Reactions: Reddawg

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Just relating what I think is Housley's mindset. And how he looks at his players. Not an endorsement. Just a perspective.

Agree that Sobotka isn't my choice for an OT. But Housley increasingly goes to him in situations where I sure wouldn't.
I believe Sobotka is being showcased for a trade.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think getting him back to wing would help get his game back on track. He has had solid play before. The one thing that worries me though is how easily he gets knocked around in physical games

If he was strictly wing I think that changes everything. Good point. I just don't trust him with any added responsibilities, personally.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Speed. That is why he is on the roster.
Now, if Botts were to go out and get a guy, say, like Ehlers? We can begin to inject speed with skill to replace Erod..........:)

Idk how we could realistically get Ehlers but...MAN would that be awesome. The difference between him and E-Rod is vast.

Reactions: Yatzhee

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
They do. What they don't have is guys like Mittelstadt, Sobotka, Thompson playing prominent roles.

Agreed on the last two. Not so much on Mittelstadt. I think he could be due for a significant second half of the season if the learning curve works out.

I'd be curious who you think is comparable to E-Rod on any of the top 5 teams in the league, even the top 10. A lot of grinders could be associated with him heat and speed-wise but I think his smarts and skills are bottom 20 percent.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Idk how we could realistically get Ehlers but...MAN would that be awesome. The difference between him and E-Rod is vast.

Vast might be an understatement. It seems impossible that Winnipeg would trade Ehlers. If they're even willing to listen to offers, I'd be on the phone with them every day until Cheveldayoff accidentally agreed to something stupid.

Reactions: Yatzhee

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Vast might be an understatement. It seems impossible that Winnipeg would trade Ehlers. If they're even willing to listen to offers, I'd be on the phone with them every day until Cheveldayoff accidentally agreed to something stupid.

Would you do ERod, Pilut and Olofsson for Ehlers? I wouldn’t.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Man, some people just make me laugh. They come in here just to shit on players. The sabres are in a playoff spot and are playing great hockey. Maybe people expect them to go 82-0, I dunno. Sabres just played 3 of 4 game against top 5 teams in the NHL (Florida is also no joke) and they we all 1 goal games. I know what this team is, super top heavy. Skinner-jack-sam are going to win you or lose you games. If the 3rd and 4th line go -1 don’t toss them under the bus like they should be scoring 2 goals each game. they know their roles; It’s to be defensively responsible and take the chances when they see them. I just don’t get it, it’s the cap era people, teams can not stack 4 lines, so don’t get upset when Matthews scores vs the sabres 3rd line. He is doing it to 29 other teams in the nhl. Man we win 10 games in a row and a lot of fans thinks we are at 88 oilers. Relax with the freaking negativity and enjoy the product the sabres are putting out each night.

G: the sabres (they are not perfect but the best we have seen in a long time)
U: sabres fan base who think they are all NHL scouts and GMs

Reactions: Vito_81

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I have a tough time believing Botterill is hoping to showcase roster players at this time...
Probably correct given the comments on family like atmosphere in the locker room.
But also probably correct that Bots is aware of the team deficiencies and won't hesitate to upgrade them if a palatable deal presented itself.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

Maybe its this "you can be as bad as Sobotka but if you hustle you get to play"

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The Erod hate getting thrown around is completely out of order considering he had a rough stretch of like 3 games..while Risto can have nearly a whole damn month of bad play to start the season. He has been more good than bad this season and one tiny stretch of bad games is really annoying to see everyone bash him so harshly. People justifying Housley using Sobotka over Casey in OT at any instance is also beyond stupid...3v3 is meant for players with SPEED not one of the slowest f***ers on the team. Its one of the reason. Wow he tried to poke Matthews what effort there was 5 seconds left in OT...you can tackle a guy in that situation because a penalty isn't something to worry about.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad