News Article: Sabres View Myers as Cornerstone Piece in Rebuild

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I didn't say there's no need to have more bidders. I don't really know how you can read my comment and come to that conclusion. I said only when there's one bidder is there any need to fabricate what return you'd accept in order to get a team to bid higher, because the team is only bidding against what you are willing to accept. With two or more teams, the teams are bidding against what each other is willing to give up.

Nevermind that what Murray is saying doesn't create more bidders. How would pretending Myers isn't available entice more bidders? If anything, it would dissuade new parties from inquiring. There's no practical leverage being gained here.

Come on lets not be silly. You said there is no need for murray to drive up the price through the media if there is more then one bidder. yes?

Meaning if there is two bidders he does not need to say anything to influence the situation. Lets not be silly and pretend when you said "if there is more then one" does not mean two is enough. Maybe read your post again. It is quite simple how I got there.

The second part of your sentence about Murray interpreting Myers is not available is ridiculous, everyone is available. Murray and Nolan talking about how Myers can be the cornerstone of the defence can absolutely be interpreted as trying to drive the price up and increase bidders where what you wrote is there is no need if there is more then on bidder ie two. Get it?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Come on lets not be silly. You said there is no need for murray to drive up the price through the media if there is more then one bidder. yes?

Meaning if there is two bidders he does not need to say anything to influence the situation. Lets not be silly and pretend when you said "if there is more then one" does not mean two is enough. Maybe read your post again. It is quite simple how I got there.

The second part of your sentence about Murray interpreting Myers is not available is ridiculous, everyone is available. Murray and Nolan talking about how Myers can be the cornerstone of the defence can absolutely be interpreted as trying to drive the price up and increase bidders where what you wrote is there is no need if there is more then on bidder ie two. Get it?

That's not what I said. I already explained what I said, meaning I've said it twice. I'm not saying it three times. If you don't understand what I said by now then I guess you never will.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Come on lets not be silly...

I knew exactly what he meant. I thought the same thing about your post and I don't know why you have any problem with Rob's.

For a GM to talk up a player's value in the media, that's usually a sign that the GM is trying to move a player for a certain price and he isn't finding bidders beyond one inquiry. If there are multiple bidders (I don't care if it's two or seven) a GM might try to talk up that player's value but it's not necessary. The GM will rely on getting the highest bid, knowing that the other GMs are aware of the competition. It's a not a strange concept.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Love how this has devolved into a sabres dealing Myers discussion anyways. We deserve whatever we get on the trade board.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
If Murray has a very interested party, and he has a very specific return that he wants, he could release a statement like this to try to get them to budge. Honestly, it might be more effective in that scenario to leak to the press that a lot of teams are serious about getting Myers, and the competition is heating up.

Or, maybe he just wants to keep Myers...(I prefer this option).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Does hockey have a WAR stat? Myers WAR would be off the chart for this team. Of course, Mitchell and Gionta might as well.

Hockey-reference has a stat called "point shares" which basically says how many points a specific player is responsible for. Mind you I'm not sure how useful the stat is or what the advanced stat guys think of it, but it is something I suppose. In essence, adding up all the point shares should yield the team's number of points (in this case, 31 for Buffalo).

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/2015.html

1. Enroth (5.2)
2. Neuvirth (3.1)
3. Girgensons (2.0)
4. Ennis (1.8)
5. Myers (1.7)
6. Stafford (1.2)

And that's not even considering the fact that Myers missed games due to injury, since these are straight point totals.

It gets even better when you look at defense point shares (estimates of point shares contributed solely by defensive contributions)

1. Myers (1.8)
2. Benoit (0.9) (OK, now I'm questioning the validity of this stat)
3. Girgensons (0.8)
4. Zadorov (0.8)
5. Meszaros (0.8)

The fact that Myers is so far ahead of the other skaters though? That's not at all surprising. It might be that Myers is the only skater providing any meaningful defense contributions--which would explain how the other skaters are all bunched together with Benoit somehow near the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad