Sabres unveil 50th anniversary logos & 3rd jerseys

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Upthread I mocked someone's projection as to what the 3rd jersey could look like. That combination of white jersey, white gloves and white pants had what in my opinion was the "man from glad" look.

What the Sabres released is, in my opinion, perfect for the 50th year. I love the use of gold wherever they have it on the home white jersey. Big fan of the blue pants and the socks. There's enough blue on the predominantly white gloves to make them not bother me. Very tasteful.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I really like it. I’m not big on jerseys in general, have only had a couple Bulls jerseys (and we’re going back to Takeo Spikes and Travis Henry...) But I’m totally looking forward to getting a Dahlin jersey with this and wearing it for years.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
Is there somewhere to preorder online? I don’t see it on the website. Am I just dumb?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Aren't we a little worried that removing the sacred White Buffalo will bring bad luck? I guess the slug was yellow and those teams were damn good, though.
It's not as striking without it.
puBlNOQ.gif

Non issue. Wearing the sacred White Buffalo - the Sabres have had a run of bad luck over the past few years. A correction is needed to restore the mojo of sacred White Buffalo. Moving to the gold will therefore bring good luck while at the same time correcting the recent mojo issues for the White Buffalo. End result is a complete turnaround in 20- 21 with the combination of a mojo corrected white buffalo on top of royal blue. Simple.

....... Or maybe it will be the new coach, the improved D, and the departures of several pieces that will be replaced with some key signings made possible by cap space.

Reactions: cybresabre

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I'm curious if there will be hats and/or shirts using the same design concept. I'm not really a jersey wearing type.
I'm sure there will be but they probably won't be out until closer to the start of the season.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I just realized that the original Sabres' shade of royal blue (that is coming back) is the same shade of blue as the Leafs' uniforms. I wonder if Punch had anything to do with that.

Toronto maple leafs colors - Hockey Gear

Yes, that was absolutely intentional on Punch's part. He wanted the Sabres uniforms to be as close to Toronto's late 60's look as possible.

Gimli

Jun 4, 2019
Yes, that was absolutely intentional on Punch's part. He wanted the Sabres uniforms to be as close to Toronto's late 60's look as possible.

I can’t find a source for it, but I’ve heard the story like this:
Imlach wanted the Sabres colors to be the same as Toronto’s, but wanted to add gold because unlike Toronto, the Sabres were to be a “first class” organization. Have others heard the story this way as well?

(Long time lurker, first time poster!)

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Imlach wanted the Sabres colors to be the same as Toronto’s, but wanted to add gold because unlike Toronto, the Sabres were to be a “first class” organization. Have others heard the story this way as well?

The story I've read was pretty much the same. Imlach had recently been fired from Toronto, and he was obviously still bitter about it.

Reactions: Dex and Gimli

Member 308457

The story I've read was pretty much the same. Imlach had recently been fired from Toronto, and he was obviously still bitter about it.

So the birth of the Sabres' uniform had much to do with Imlach's bitterness towards the Leafs. Great.

I've read his book "Heaven and Hell in the NHL" and there are some incredible stories in there. I highly recommend it to understand what went on behind the scenes in Buffalo and Toronto...It seems once the Sabres got to be good, there was a lot of rebellion against Imlach, particularly by Ramsay, Schoenfeld and Gare. In the early days, one of the things Imlach wouldn't allow was letting his players drink water during games!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gimli

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

My recollections are the same

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Canucks could have been Blue and Gold. :eek2:
Punch Imlach - Wikipedia
After being fired by the Leafs, it was expected that Imlach would join the NHL's new Vancouver franchise. Imlach, Joe Crozier, and Foster Hewitt had become partners in the Vancouver Canucks of the Western Hockey League and were in line to become owners of the Vancouver NHL team. But they didn't have the financial resources to buy the team, which went to Medical Investment Corporation (Medicor). Medicor bought the WHL Canucks for $2.8 million, with Imlach making a reported gain of more than $250,000. He was offered a job with the NHL Canucks, but instead accepted an offer from the NHL's other expansion team, the Buffalo Sabres, as their first coach and general manager in 1970.

Bonus Content
Ralph Wilson - Wikipedia
A minority owner of the Detroit Lions,[7] Wilson got wind of Lamar Hunt's plans for a new league, the American Football League, to challenge the NFL. He tried to put together a team in Miami, but was turned down. His next choice was Buffalo, where the AFL's first choice of owner, Pat McGroder, had declined to start a team. McGroder had the resources to buy the team (at the time he owned a successful liquor store)[1] :laugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Its not a mythic urban legend. I remember Punch mentioning this in a TV spot back in 1970. It was a also mentioned in both papers (CE and BEN). I remember hearing him saying the Sabres uniform trim was gold instead of white because Buffalo would be the better organization. I can't recall whether he said "first Class" be he sure as heck was declaring the rivalry and letting us know that Buffalo was superior. He kinda snuck it in as an off hand side comment .... a bit of primordial snark from Punch.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Canucks could have been Blue and Gold. :eek2:
Punch Imlach - Wikipedia
After being fired by the Leafs, it was expected that Imlach would join the NHL's new Vancouver franchise. Imlach, Joe Crozier, and Foster Hewitt had become partners in the Vancouver Canucks of the Western Hockey League and were in line to become owners of the Vancouver NHL team. But they didn't have the financial resources to buy the team, which went to Medical Investment Corporation (Medicor). Medicor bought the WHL Canucks for $2.8 million, with Imlach making a reported gain of more than $250,000. He was offered a job with the NHL Canucks, but instead accepted an offer from the NHL's other expansion team, the Buffalo Sabres, as their first coach and general manager in 1970.

Bonus Content
Ralph Wilson - Wikipedia
A minority owner of the Detroit Lions,[7] Wilson got wind of Lamar Hunt's plans for a new league, the American Football League, to challenge the NFL. He tried to put together a team in Miami, but was turned down. His next choice was Buffalo, where the AFL's first choice of owner, Pat McGroder, had declined to start a team. McGroder had the resources to buy the team (at the time he owned a successful liquor store)[1] :laugh:

Imlach was the indisputable king of the Sabres from 1970 - 77. The Aud was his castle. The reds his throne room. His first heart attack really took the wind out of his sales.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
So the birth of the Sabres' uniform had much to do with Imlach's bitterness towards the Leafs. Great.

I've read his book "Heaven and Hell in the NHL" and there are some incredible stories in there. I highly recommend it to understand what went on behind the scenes in Buffalo and Toronto...It seems once the Sabres got to be good, there was a lot of rebellion against Imlach, particularly by Ramsay, Schoenfeld and Gare. In the early days, one of the things Imlach wouldn't allow was letting his players drink water during games!
Sh!t..... I believed him! Didn't drink water when playing for the longest time. So stupid and ignorant. Nobody studied physiology and kinetics and nutrition back then except the Russians.

And Punch hated the Russians!

Reactions: Smiling Ivan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad