Sabres unveil 50th anniversary logos & 3rd jerseys

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sh!t..... I believed him! Didn't drink water when playing for the longest time. So stupid and ignorant. Nobody studied physiology and kinetics and nutrition back then except the Russians.

And Punch hated the Russians!
And I can tell you for a fact that it was standard thinking in football well into the 90's. I remember in 1991 showing up for youth football practice and the HS freshman team players were begging us for water because their f***wit coach made them practice 3 hours with no water break. If a coach did that today he'd end up in jail, and rightfully so.

Member 308457

Its not a mythic urban legend. I remember Punch mentioning this in a TV spot back in 1970. It was a also mentioned in both papers (CE and BEN). I remember hearing him saying the Sabres uniform trim was gold instead of white because Buffalo would be the better organization. I can't recall whether he said "first Class" be he sure as heck was declaring the rivalry and letting us know that Buffalo was superior. He kinda snuck it in as an off hand side comment .... a bit of primordial snark from Punch.

Perhaps the beginning of the Sabres-Leafs rivalry was started by an unknown (to me -- help anyone?) Leafs' executive who was recorded saying something nasty about the Sabres at 8:21 of this clip from the innaugural season. Note Ted Darling's narration. btw, Sabres beat the Leafs 7-2 in their first game ever...

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Perhaps the beginning of the Sabres-Leafs rivalry was started by an unknown (to me -- help anyone?) Leafs' executive who was recorded saying something nasty about the Sabres at 8:21 of this clip from the innaugural season. Note Ted Darling's narration. btw, Sabres beat the Leafs 7-2 in their first game ever...

Vague resemblance to Jim Gregory but I don't think that's him......

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Sabres have announced some giveaways, with more to come:

10/5 vs. NJD: 50th anniversary t-shirt
10/9 vs. MTL: Magnetic schedule
11/2 vs. NYI: 70's (royal blue) pennant
11/16 vs. OTT: Hockey Fights Cancer scarf
11/27 vs. CGY: Royal Blue oven mitt
12/12 vs. NSH: 80's (Memorial Auditorium) t-shirt
1/4 vs. FLA: 90's (Goathead) pennant
2/13 vs. CBJ: 00's (Buffaslug) pennant
3/13 vs. BOS: 10's (40th anniversary) pennant

(Also, I find it quite ironic that the night they're celebrating the Aud, they're playing the Preds, who didn't even exist until two years after the Sabres moved out)

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I was thinking about the logo today, and my mind started to wander. The Buffaslug should have been done full Art Deco style. Less slug, and more ascending.

Smehlik MyFinger

Sep 16, 2017
Has a puck ever made it through one of those cages on a mask? Those openings around the eyes look a tad big......

Brian Boucher got one stuck once.

Throwback Thursday: Brian Boucher Gets His Cage Rattled - InGoal Magazine

25998738cr1.png

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
ERMAHGERD YOU GUYS, I can’t even express how much I love your white 50th anniversary jerseys. They may be the best shirts the league witnesses this year. I also love the black vancouver 50th year ones, and the retro white New Jersey ones. But you guys may have the best. I’m just blown away how beautiful those are. Holy crow.

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
Love this jersey but I have to say that I don't like it with the white glove. Would be better with dark blue. Anyway good luck for tonight against the Habs. I will follow VO closely since I've draft him years ago in my keeper league :).

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Love this jersey but I have to say that I don't like it with the white glove. Would be better with dark blue. Anyway good luck for tonight against the Habs. I will follow VO closely since I've draft him years ago in my keeper league :).
I’d actually prefer some gold on the gloves, similar to what Hutton’s blocker looks like in the picture above. At least the gloves have some blue around the wrist to break up where the sleeve ends and glove begins, but yeah, I’m not crazy about the white either. I feel a bit nit-picky saying that though because these unis are gorgeous.

Smehlik MyFinger

Sep 16, 2017
There is gold on the gloves, the manufacturers logos on the cuff are gold, trimmed in white. Just the right amount IMO.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Someone said they are all sold out and adidas will not be producing any more. That has to be a joke right??
I was afraid this would happen. Royal Blue is an endangered color that was hunted to near extinction for over 3 decades by zealous Sabre fans. Over 90% of the world's remaining royal blue supply is controlled by a primitive tribe in Burma where it is considered an integral component to many of their religious ceremonies. Are we willing to destroy the culture of a noble tribe of hunters and gatherers to satisfy our lust for more 50th anniversary jerseys? There has to be a better way to dye!

Smehlik MyFinger

Sep 16, 2017
Someone said they are all sold out and adidas will not be producing any more. That has to be a joke right??

The Sabres Store is sold out. Rumor is they under estimated how well these would go over and did not order enough.
They are still available online at a few different sites and I heard Dave & Adams has some plus Tee Shirt University at Galleria just posted on Twitter they have Eichels in stock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->