Sabres unveil 50th anniversary logos & 3rd jerseys

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Maybe worth it's own thread. The lack of royal blue seems to have melted twitter. :biglaugh:
I am convinced that this is why these images are released so far in advance. it gives them time to make changes if they deem it necessary. They never do, but at least the option technically exists.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am convinced that this is why these images are released so far in advance. it gives them time to make changes if they deem it necessary. They never do, but at least the option technically exists.
The thing that scares me is the idea they didn't know what the reaction would be, and the only thing scarier is that they knew and just didn't care.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
The thing that scares me is the idea they didn't know what the reaction would be, and the only thing scarier is that they knew and just didn't care.
My expectations are low when it comes to third jerseys and this ownership group. Afterall, they did bring us this beaut

SABRESJSY3JSY.jpg

That said, i did like our winter classic jerseys the other year. Those were fantastic.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I loved the third jerseys with the baseball-style script on the front, from 2010-11. I'd keep those as our 3rds indefinitely. Especially if we aren't going to switch back to royal blue.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It's possible that the royal blue version there would actually look bad on a real royal blue jersey, so they went with darker colors so it'd stand out against royal blue.

I will grasp at any straw I can until we know for sure.

Reactions: Tatre

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's possible that the royal blue version there would actually look bad on a real royal blue jersey, so they went with darker colors so it'd stand out against royal blue.

I will grasp at any straw I can until we know for sure.
I hope

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Maybe worth it's own thread. The lack of royal blue seems to have melted twitter. :biglaugh:

I'm not going to meltdown about it because in the grand scheme of things it's not that important.

But I just don't understand WHY they are so resistant to going back to royal blue, even for a one-off anniversary jersey.

Navy is boring, bland, and overused by a million teams. Royal was sharp, distinctive, and unique. It would pop even better on today's HDTVs.

It looks much better, and all the fans want it. Even the Pegulas seem to understand the value of going back to the history of the franchise when ditched the Slug and brought back the original logo. So what's the big problem?

Where is the resistance on this coming from? Is it coming from the official uniform manufacturer (currently Adidas, I believe)?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
There has been a long-standing rumor on another forum, from a member who was supposedly told it by a member of PS&E, that they were going to cycle through all of the jerseys they've worn this year and then culminate with a return to royal blue. It was a poster I trust, though who knows about how trustworthy his source was.

I'm not sure what I think but it would be such an epic idea.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Like bankruptcy, scandal, and our owners going to prison?

Yes, red & black is associated with the WORST period of franchise history.

The Rigas crime family, the bankruptcy, the league takeover of the franchise, and the team damn near RELOCATING before Golisano saved it.

If they want to bring back red & black for a one-off or a rarely used third jersey, fine. But those should never be the main colors again.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Yes, red & black is associated with the WORST period of franchise history.

The Rigas crime family, the bankruptcy, the league takeover of the franchise, and the team damn near RELOCATING before Golisano saved it.

If they want to bring back red & black for a one-off or a rarely used third jersey, fine. But those should never be the main colors again.
Two of the best teams in franchise history also happened to be a part of that era, which is partly why many are still so enamored with those jerseys.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The league will be experimenting with advertisements on jerseys next season. Marketing analytics of other leagues that allow advertising clearly shows that navy blue is a better background than royal blue. Advertisers are willing to pay more.

Reactions: TheStorm

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Two of the best teams in franchise history were also a part of that era, which is partly why many are still so enamored with those jerseys.

I wouldn't consider those "two of the best teams in franchise history." There were two seasons with very good results, especially in the playoffs.

But I don't think those were great teams. Those were average teams carried by an All-World goalie at the peak of his career, in a time when the rest of the Northeast Division was pretty weak.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I wouldn't consider those "two of the best teams in franchise history." There were two seasons with very good results, especially in the playoffs.

But I don't think those were great teams. Those were average teams carried by an All-World goalie at the peak of his career, in a time when the rest of the Northeast Division was pretty weak.
I was thinking more so '99 and '06 (just after league ownership, but same jerseys). There's no doubt those teams' success contributed to the popularity of what is an otherwise inferior jersey/logo to the original blue & gold, which was really my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad