TBN: Sabres to alter ticket pricing model, increase prices

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
People should be canceling their season tickets. That's the only way they will get the message.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Sabres are trying to cash in on their recent performance by selling "March Sadness Ticket Packages". Each package will contain an assortment of stickers from Crisis Services. The first 50 purchasers will receive a free 1 ounce bottle of syrup of ipecac.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Serious question on season tickets for other holders in here.

Beyond just raising prices, what are the Sabres trying to accomplish demanding money by April 22?

I don't get it. They want bigger chunks of the money way earlier in the summer.

What's the strategy here?

I'm wondering if they plan to not spend a lot of money and are trying to trap people earlier.

Pegula couldn't have cash flow problems. Right?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I predict quite a few season ticket holders canceling this summer. Maybe that will get them to change their philosophy.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Serious question on season tickets for other holders in here.

Beyond just raising prices, what are the Sabres trying to accomplish demanding money by April 22?

I don't get it. They want bigger chunks of the money way earlier in the summer.

What's the strategy here?

I'm wondering if they plan to not spend a lot of money and are trying to trap people earlier.

Pegula couldn't have cash flow problems. Right?

I think cash flow problems are exactly what is going on.

Yes, he got his first billions selling most (not all) of East Resources. But if you look deeper, when he bought the Bills, he sold the REST of East Resources to do it.

The second sale of the remainder of East Resources was for $1.75B , and he paid $1.4B for the Bills from those proceeds. This should tell you that while he clearly still is a billionaire, most of that wealth is not liquid. Even his oil/gas holdings he still has aren't worth nearly as much as they once were with the commodity prices of both way down for an extended period of time.

He pissed away a LOT of cash in the first few years owning the Sabres, and the constant stream of replacement coach and GMs didn't help that; still gotta pay them AND their replacements. I honestly think they did a poor job adapting to the very irregular cash flow operation of a pro sports teams, and got away with it for a lot of years because they were generally cash flush. I also think they finally realized they have to adjust, and there's a penny pinching mode they are in now to reset things a bit.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think cash flow problems are exactly what is going on.

Yes, he got his first billions selling most (not all) of East Resources. But if you look deeper, when he bought the Bills, he sold the REST of East Resources to do it.

The second sale of the remainder of East Resources was for $1.75B , and he paid $1.4B for the Bills from those proceeds. This should tell you that while he clearly still is a billionaire, most of that wealth is not liquid. Even his oil/gas holdings he still has aren't worth nearly as much as they once were with the commodity prices of both way down for an extended period of time.

He pissed away a LOT of cash in the first few years owning the Sabres, and the constant stream of replacement coach and GMs didn't help that; still gotta pay them AND their replacements. I honestly think they did a poor job adapting to the very irregular cash flow operation of a pro sports teams, and got away with it for a lot of years because they were generally cash flush. I also think they finally realized they have to adjust, and there's a penny pinching mode they are in now to reset things a bit.
So basically we are going to be the Sens under Melnyk except without Melnyk's ability to occasionally hire people who are actually competent? AWESOME.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Today is the deadline to notify them of cancellation

Here is what I wrote

Jordan-
Good morning, I hope all is well.

I am writing to notify that I do not wish to renew my Sabres Season Ticket account number (XXXXXXX). Today is the last day in the window to notify you of this. With the uncertain times in the world and economy, it would be foolish to squander that much money on sports tickets.

I was likely going to cancel anyways, but would have pondered it more given more time, and judging the franchise's actions after the season (as well as the economic and health situations).
The way the organization handled the Season Ticket Pricing increase was a jarring slap in the face. The main motivation for me to maintain my tickets to the tune of many thousands of dollars over these very terrible and lifeless hockey seasons was to preserve my 'seniority' and to keep my preferred seat location. The seat location, which I have progressed to over the years is in the 300-level closer to center ice, on the aisle.

Now, the organization, during the worst period in franchise history, decided to carve the arena up into 476 distinct price levels. I cannot even look at the seat map in good faith because on the Sabres' webpage, you need to scroll down so many color-coded levels, the arena map ends up off the screen and you cannot see what color range is where.
My tickets jumped up in price too much, and that is on top of the numerous increases over the past 9 awful seasons.

My perception is the organization has punitively punished me for being amongst its most loyal fans during some lean years and does not care or appreciate. I have been a rabid fan since the mid-80s and I honestly feel now like the Sabres are becoming an adversary, who I should dislike and start to resist spending money or time. This is not good. This team has been a big part of my identity most of my life. This doesn't even cover the apparent lack of urgency to have success on the ice, which is how these tickets would have actual entertainment value. Spending thousands of dollars to subsidize executive level managers bragging about being in games, and learning, and growth paths. I have had enough.

I know this is not your personal fault or a result of your decisions. I am sure you would have provided great customer service if I had needed it. I wish you luck with your employment with the Sabres. Who knows, maybe in the future I will re-consider. I just felt like explaining my cancellation in hopes maybe it gets sent up the chain.

Hope you are well and safe.
Thank you
(Mayday10)

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Kudos. If they receive a number of messages like yours maybe someone in the organization will take the hint. Maybe. Probably not. Definitely not. But hope you feel better after sending the message. lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Here is what I wrote

Jordan-

I am writing to notify that I do not wish to renew my Sabres Season Ticket account number (XXXXXXX). Today is the last day in the window to notify you of this. With the uncertain times in the world and economy, it would be foolish to squander that much money on sports tickets.

I was likely going to cancel anyways, but would have pondered it more given more time, and judging the franchise's actions after the season (as well as the economic and health situations).
The way the organization handled the Season Ticket Pricing increase was a jarring slap in the face. The main motivation for me to maintain my tickets to the tune of many thousands of dollars over these very terrible and lifeless hockey seasons was to preserve my 'seniority' and to keep my preferred seat location. The seat location, which I have progressed to over the years is in the 300-level closer to center ice, on the aisle.

Now, the organization, during the worst period in franchise history, decided to carve the arena up into 476 distinct price levels. I cannot even look at the seat map in good faith because on the Sabres' webpage, you need to scroll down so many color-coded levels, the arena map ends up off the screen and you cannot see what color range is where.
My tickets jumped up in price too much, and that is on top of the numerous increases over the past 9 awful seasons.

My perception is the organization has punitively punished me for being amongst its most loyal fans during some lean years and does not care or appreciate. I have been a rabid fan since the mid-80s and I honestly feel now like the Sabres are becoming an adversary, who I should dislike and start to resist spending money or time. This is not good. This team has been a big part of my identity most of my life. This doesn't even cover the apparent lack of urgency to have success on the ice, which is how these tickets would have actual entertainment value. Spending thousands of dollars to subsidize executive level managers bragging about being in games, and learning, and growth paths. I have had enough.

I know this is not your personal fault or a result of your decisions. I am sure you would have provided great customer service if I had needed it. I wish you luck with your employment with the Sabres. Who knows, maybe in the future I will re-consider. I just felt like explaining my cancellation in hopes maybe it gets sent up the chain.

Thank you
(Mayday10)

That should be the next evolution of the Duane rant that starts getting sent around Sabres Twitter, IMO.

That is very well written and something that I bet a lot of fans can relate to.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I would've just sent them this.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Imagining Defeat

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Here is what I wrote

Jordan-

Thank you
(Mayday10)

They extended the deadline because of virus

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
They extended the deadline because of virus

They did not for auto-renew. What they did was delay the first payment from April to May. I heard Mike Schopp say he contacted his ticket rep and that is what he was told. My account rep also sent me a reminder email on the 31st (as I was writing my cancellation email).

You still had to let them know by April 1st. I do believe you can still wait if you aren't in auto-renew... but will have to come up with the entire cost of the season in one lump sum this summer sometime.

This was after the Sabres "forgot" their own deadline. Originally, we had until March 15th, and the Sabres needed to let us know what the prices were a month in advance. I had the date circled and knew the Sabres wouldnt be prepared with pricing when they obligated themselves to. Sure enough, in mid-February we got a notice that the terms changed, times were moved back 15 days, so they could come up with the price structure (AKA they forgot). They are truly amateur hour.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don't think the Pegulas will be all that upset-other than a loss of pride- if NHL shuts down in Buffalo especially if season ticket holders decide to leave. He is not making any real money on the Sabres although his investment in the precinct and facilities for youth and amateur hockey would be missed. With Delaware North making the money on the concessions and little tv revenue the Sabres are more a labour of love than a true investment opportunity--unless he can get $$$ for the franchise--though God knows who would want one right now. With the oil and gas business tanking the Bills with huge tv and possibly gambling revenue may well be his main source of income. With no kids to carry on any family business he probably would leave it all to charities. I am just speculating....and it really is none of my business-but I would miss the Sabres.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Barring some sort of personal financial and/or legal calamity, I don't see them selling the team, based on all the other peripheral investments.

The problem isn't a lack of interest. I think they are interested and do want to have a good organization. The problem is, they are awful judges of organizational structure and management. They think they can hire 'good people' and foster some sort of utopia of communication and this marketplace ideas where everyone can grow and succeed down the line. A double-edged sword, but they fell onto a homerun with McDermott and the Bills. It likely emboldens them to think they know what they are doing.

Kevyn Adams is completely out of his depth running the business side of an organization this size. His qualifications are he used to play in the NHL and lives in Buffalo. The business side has dropped precipitously since Ted Black was sent packing for Russ Brandon... but since Brandon "resigned", it fell off a cliff.

Then the important side. The whole Botterill and Housley are separate and report to ownership is a failed structure for an NHL team. Coaches in the NHL are throwaway, and the decision comes from the GM/President. This team is a heavy lift, and a first-timer like Botterill was not the person for it. Housley was a terrible choice as a coach. They need experience. Kruger is a cute idea, but we dont need out of the box right now like espresso machines, growth paths, pulling the goalie with 6 minutes left when the team cant even get possession of the puck, etc... The Sabres need to get back into the box that they walked out of almost 10 years ago.

Reactions: sabremike

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’d think it’s an especially hard sell to buy season tickets knowing that, come February each year, your seats are devalued on the open market to 1/5th their face value, or even less in some cases.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Here is what I wrote

Jordan-

Thank you
(Mayday10)

I have multiple friends that work in sports marketing analytics, and I can tell you that this letter will do nothing. As a fan that took the time to write a long letter, that tells them that you are a passionate fan, and the fact that you wrote anything at all tells them infinitely more about yourself than the actual content of the message. Even if you personally walk away from your ST's or the Sabres in general, 99% of people like you will continue to follow the team and invest financially in them, especially when they become good again. They will look at your response and file it under the "they'll be back when we're good again" category of fan.

I applaud your passion and the message that you've put forth, but from an operations and marketing standpoint, they are trying to reach the people that don't care enough to write letters.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I have multiple friends that work in sports marketing analytics, and I can tell you that this letter will do nothing. As a fan that took the time to write a long letter, that tells them that you are a passionate fan, and the fact that you wrote anything at all tells them infinitely more about yourself than the actual content of the message. Even if you personally walk away from your ST's or the Sabres in general, 99% of people like you will continue to follow the team and invest financially in them, especially when they become good again. They will look at your response and file it under the "they'll be back when we're good again" category of fan.

I applaud your passion and the message that you've put forth, but from an operations and marketing standpoint, they are trying to reach the people that don't care enough to write letters.

Yeah, I realize that. I don't expect this to go up the chain and they award me with free season tickets delivered by Terry and Kim Pegula.... nor do I expect it to be the trigger of any change. Most likely ended with my account rep or his manager.

I did feel like it was most important to point out the fact that they just directly punished people for hanging on during bad years, seemingly without thinking about it.

If there is a good amount of people who write similar letters, and next season or the season after (hopefully if conditions are normal), they are looking at paid attendance below 10,000.... maybe they will do some introspection. This was supposed to be ownership who would be champions of the fans. I am so turned off by everything at this point.

As far as the "Ill be back" thing. I dont know. I didnt get into it, but the Sabres have been completely ruined for me. As I mentioned in the note, I started in the mid 80s when I was about 7. I went many, many years barely missing any games. I would often be at college parties with beautiful girls everywhere sequestered in a room until a Sabres game ended. It was a bit pathetic I guess, but I was probably known by many as "that Sabres guy". Not saying I'm a bigger fan than anyone. Lots of great fans... but I was deeply vested in this team.

Over the past few years, I watch less and less games. All-time low this year I only made it to 6 games (mainly the theme nights for nostalgia) and not sure I even stayed until the end (other than that 1-0 Islanders snoozer on 70s night). I probably watched an aggregate total of less than a game on television/streaming this season.
I was asked to join a few ticket groups due to lots of people dropping out. My initial reaction was that I don't want to give this organization a dime of my money. It isnt only the on-ice product. it is the off-ice ineptitude as well. Its an awful organization that I no longer take pride in. From ages 7 to like 35, I would tell anyone that the Sabres were the best organization in the league.

I am at the point of apathy and maybe even a bit beyond that.

Even my 7 year old and his hockey team. None of them are geeked out about the Sabres. They all like "Vegas" or the Blues, or Toronto.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
With no kids to carry on any family business he probably would leave it all to charities.

Uh, I think at three kids say hello and they are Sabres and Bills fans. Especially the one daughter dating Jason Croom. A Bills player. Or were you just talking about the gas business?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Uh, I think at three kids say hello and they are Sabres and Bills fans. Especially the one daughter dating Jason Croom. A Bills player. Or were you just talking about the gas business?
OOPs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad