TBN: Sabres to alter ticket pricing model, increase prices

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres to alter ticket pricing model, increase prices
The cost for a season ticket to watch the Buffalo Sabres in KeyBank Center will go up an average of 2.5% for the 2020-21 season.

The Sabres rescaled pricing at the arena from 15 to 30 price points to ensure that fans closer to the action pay more than those in the same section sitting farther away, the team confirmed to The Buffalo News. Ten of the price points will see a decrease from this season. That includes some seats in the 100 level.

Who says the Sabres don't use analytics?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

The Sabres rescaled pricing at the arena from 15 to 30 price points to ensure that fans closer to the action pay more than those in the same section sitting farther away, the team confirmed to The Buffalo News.

Terrific stuff, congrats to all involved.

Reactions: Grinder81

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
The Sabres rescaled pricing at the arena from 15 to 30 price points to ensure that fans closer to the action pay more than those in the same section sitting farther away
"The team spoke glowingly of the discounts to the the 'shoot twice' side."

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
To be fair the Sabres spend a lot of money to give the fans everything, they're just not very good at building team.

I have no issues with them raising prices, it's a business.

Now I'm not the Gretzky of economics but I don't understand why they think it's a good time to raise prices when you could just buy tickets for $6 literally 2 weeks ago. Attendance is below league average as of this December article anyways-

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo...bres-attendance-slumps-below-nhl-average.html

But I guess the price of everything goes up every year and there's nothing we can do about it

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I haven't been paying attention to the intricacies of league finances, but is this still tied to revenue sharing?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I remember a time when Pegula didn't raise prices, citing that he wanted the team to be better.

I remember when they engaged with the fans, and it wasn't long ago.

What happened???

Honestly, that is a great question. The past few years there has been a big disconnect from the owners. If i were a season ticket holder and they RAISED my prices after watching the concessions continue to go up as well as the quality of the team be consistently mediocre, i'd be pretty pissed

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
They don't get any money from revenue sharing anymore, so they have to try and make it up from somewhere.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I’m second row from the ice, if these changes have any significant price increase then I’m done as a season ticket holder.
Well if the average went up 2.5%, and seats further from the ice reduced price...brace yourself

Reactions: Mitts888

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I'm reasonably sure he said he'd "drill another well", so get Fracking, Terry.

He did say that. Except right now oil and gas prices are in the tank, so production of all that stuff is way down. And let's be honest ; he shouldn't have to do that anyways.

I'm by no means defending the increase. But a 2.5% increase is honestly not much, and they're still running a business. They clearly could be running it better, and I spoke with my wallet this season and dropped my seats until the product and experience improves.

If 2.5% is much for anyone personally, I respect that. If it's strictly financial though , maybe you want to re-evaluate if having STs makes sense for you.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Exactly what I was calculating..... after being committed for 15 years and going through the last decade of crap. I’m so pissed right now.
The funny/not funny thing is that, especially given the team's performance it will annoy everyone. Sure people who sit further from the ice will be happy if they see a decrease but will also be thinking "so they overcharged me for these seats all these years?" Seems like a lose/lose

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Exactly what I was calculating..... after being committed for 15 years and going through the last decade of crap. I’m so pissed right now.

I don't blame you. Then don't renew, simple as that.

They were hounding me last year when I dropped mine. I told the acct reps very clearly that if the arena experience improved, I'd be back. But I was seeing no positive movement, so I was taking my money elsewhere.

Money talks. The only way they are going to be forced to make improvements is if people stop writing checks.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The funny/not funny thing is that, especially given the team's performance it will annoy everyone. Sure people who sit further from the ice will be happy if they see a decrease but will also be thinking "so they overcharged me for these seats all these years?" Seems like a lose/lose

You could argue that I underpaid for my seats but the on ice product sucked so bad there was no Value to them at all and I couldn’t even sell them most of the time when I tried.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
You could argue that I underpaid for my seats but the on ice product sucked so bad there was no
Value to them at all and I couldn’t even sell them
most of the time when I tried.

If you're looking at tickets as an investment, you should be looking at other things.

When the team sucks there is no secondary demand. When the team is playing well so many STHers with delusions of profit flood the secondary market and drive prices way lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad