News Article: "Sabres Standby" program created for last-minute tickets

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
So this year the Sabres have had trouble officially selling out and according to Ted Black it's because of the new rules regarding holding a small block of tickets and when you can release them.

To try and counter this, it looks like the team is offering a program you can sign up for to be notified when tickets are released and to have first crack at them.

More: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655376

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the launch of a new program that offers fans a chance to purchase last-minute tickets to the team’s home games at First Niagara Center. The “Sabres Standby†program will give fans an opportunity to be part of a queue of potential ticket-buyers that are eligible to purchase from a limited quantity of tickets for Sabres home games. Starting at 7 p.m. today, fans can sign up to be part of the queue for Friday’s home game versus the Boston Bruins.

As part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, every NHL team is required to reserve an increased number of tickets for players, referees and league officials. When these tickets go unused, they become available for purchase the day of the scheduled home game. The Sabres Standby program was designed as an efficient way to alert fans to these additional tickets and gives them the opportunity to purchase last-minute tickets for games that may have been sold out for weeks.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
yeah...that's why they've had trouble...

I know we're all jaded and anrgy here but this makes sense. The numbers of these tickets are in the hundreds. This isn't some BS tactic. This seems to happen every game this season.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
yeah...that's why they've had trouble...

:shakehead

It wasn't widely reported, but they're not making this up. It is in fact a CBA thing.

Uncle Teddy commented on this a week-ish ago on WGR, and alluded to this coming down the pipe.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Its a pretty stupid rule implemented in the CBA to be honest. Do you actually think players have had the much trouble getting tickets in the past that they have to reserve that many up until game day? Wasn't it 500 tickets released the day the leafs played in Buffalo? game didn't even sell out

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Its a pretty stupid rule implemented in the CBA to be honest. Do you actually think players have had the much trouble getting tickets in the past that they have to reserve that many up until game day? Wasn't it 500 tickets released the day the leafs played in Buffalo? game didn't even sell out

I'm not sure any of the home games have sold out, I think just the home opener. You know there is something wrong with the system when a Leafs game doesn't sell out and they are actually a promising team this season. It is pretty dumb..not many people are going to buy tickets right on game day, you usually plan ahead when it comes to going to a hockey game.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I'm not sure any of the home games have sold out, I think just the home opener. You know there is something wrong with the system when a Leafs game doesn't sell out and they are actually a promising team this season. It is pretty dumb..not many people are going to buy tickets right on game day, you usually plan ahead when it comes to going to a hockey game.

Which is exactly why the Sabres implemented this program.....

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Any rule which potentially prevents fans getting to games is frankly ridiculous surely.

This isn't a new rule. Tickets have always been set aside for both teams and officials, although that number has increased under the new CBA.

If the Sabres are having this many seats unused, I'd bet other teams are in the same boat, and the number gets negotiated down in the off season.

copter

Apr 3, 2007
Has anyone been notified using this last minute system yet? A couple friends wanted to go to today's game so I signed up for a pair right away (on Friday I think it was). Have heard nothing back as of yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad