Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Taylor Hall. 1 year, $8M

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
With regards to lines, it will be interesting to see if Hall-Eichel & Skinner-Staal works well or if Hall-Staal & Skinner-Eichel might work better.

I could see Hall and Eichel both liking the puck on their stick a lot that having them on separate lines as working out better.

Everyone thought Kane/Eichel should be on separate lines for the same reasons that it seems to make sense to separate Hall/Eichel, but coaches can't seem to resist the urge to put those types of players heavy high-volume shooters with Eichel.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Everyone thought Kane/Eichel should be on separate lines for the same reasons that it seems to make sense to separate Hall/Eichel, but coaches can't seem to resist the urge to put those types of players heavy high-volume shooters with Eichel.

Hall and Eichel are both playmakers and puck movers. I'd separate them. Skinner and Staal both play well going hard to the net. Skinner-Eichel and Hall-Staal would seem to work well in my simple mind.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Taylor Hall pros:

Ridiculously fast
Strong on the puck with his obscure wide stance skating style
Can make some beautiful dekes at high speed
Effort level is dialed up to 100 every time
Has a good release on his shot
Challenges the other teams D, very aggressive
Under the radar high end passing ability

Negatives:

Doesn’t really change his game for anyone, can be difficult to play with
Can be caught trying to do too much, goes for the superstar play instead of the simple smart one often
Surprisingly not a high end goal scorer more of a playmaker
Very injury prone with his balls to the wall style

Overall the kid is a star but can be frustrating at times because he doesn’t adapt his game and is difficult to find chemistry with. Generally high IQ hockey players work best with him. I’m curious to see if it will work with Eichel because when Hall is on a line he wants the puck especially in the neutral zone leading the attack. I’m not sure how that will work for jack. Good thing about Hall is he doesn’t depend on line mates a ton so he can drive his own line easily.

Great post. I agree with a lot of this. It's still an amazing accomplishment for this team. Having Ralph, worked in this case directly.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Skinner has a full NMC so he has to be protected unless the Sabres get him to waive. Which given history, I doubt he would.

I could see Skinner waiving on the understanding that Seattle will not pick him. This essentially giving us an extra protection slot.

Of course - if Skinner plays with Eichel all year he will score 40 goals & be flavour of the month again...

I think he needs more respect on this forum honestly. He's a very good complimentary player.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm starting to buy into the Ralph hype. The guy clearly has a strong positive presence.
What a stark contrast between Krueger's conviction, Botterill's uninspiring equivocation, and Housley's helplessly apologetic indifference.

Taylor Hall pros:

Ridiculously fast

Negatives:

Can be caught trying to do too much, goes for the superstar play instead of the simple smart one often
Aside from the injury comment, you could probably say 90% of those + and - bullets apply to a large degree to Eichel as well.

I'm a fan of separating #4 and #9 for their ES lines, pair them on PP and in OT.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Hall and Eichel are both playmakers and puck movers. I'd separate them. Skinner and Staal both play well going hard to the net. Skinner-Eichel and Hall-Staal would seem to work well in my simple mind.

Makes a ton of sense for me too. But we sat here and said the same thing about Eichel/Kane for years, under two coaches, and they would barely experiment with separating them, so I'm wondering if Krueger will be similarly intent on making that pairing work. He sure seems like he wants to so far, based on yesterday's interviews.

I guess the fact that their handedness matches up is the one reason to think they might work well together, like Ralph mentioned, but I'd prefer to keep them apart at even strength.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Makes a ton of sense for me too. But we sat here and said the same thing about Eichel/Kane for years, under two coaches, and they would barely experiment with separating them, so I'm wondering if Krueger will be similarly intent on making that pairing work. He sure seems like he wants to so far, based on yesterday's interviews.

I guess the fact that their handedness matches up is the one reason to think they might work well together, like Ralph mentioned, but I'd prefer to keep them apart at even strength.

Same. I'd like to get Hall on PP1 in Olofsson's spot, and have Olofsson on PP2. The Sabres were a lot better on the power play when they had ROR on the right wing half wall helping to quarterback the play. Hall and Eichel can both shoot well, and pass well, so it'd make the power play that much harder to play against.

Having Olofsson on PP2 would give it some teeth as well. With him and Ristolainen as the shooters, it could be really good.

Sort of similar to what STL had with a PP1 that was a puck control and movement PP, and PP2 was a shooting PP unit.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Same. I'd like to get Hall on PP1 in Olofsson's spot, and have Olofsson on PP2. The Sabres were a lot better on the power play when they had ROR on the right wing half wall helping to quarterback the play. Hall and Eichel can both shoot well, and pass well, so it'd make the power play that much harder to play against.

Having Olofsson on PP2 would give it some teeth as well. With him and Ristolainen as the shooters, it could be really good.

Sort of similar to what STL had with a PP1 that was a puck control and movement PP, and PP2 was a shooting PP unit.

Hall and Staal really give us two strong PP units, with a lot of options...very exciting.

Do you put Skinner on that PP with Hall and Eichel? I like the idea of moving VO to PP2...I would base PP2 around Staal/VO/Risto/Miller.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Hall and Staal really give us two strong PP units, with a lot of options...very exciting.

Do you put Skinner on that PP with Hall and Eichel? I like the idea of moving VO to PP2...I would base PP2 around Staal/VO/Risto/Miller.

I'd go with this:

PP1
Point: Dahlin
LHW: Eichel
RHW: Hall
Bumper: Skinner
Net: Okposo

PP2
Point: Ristolainen
LHW: Reinhart
RHW: Olofsson
Bumper: Staal
Net: Thompson

I know it's blasphemy to take Reinhart away from PP1 net front, but I think his playmaking at LHW was really good when he was there last year. Let him set up Ristolainen and Olofsson and make PP2 really good. PP1 will be fine with another player net front.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

VO as shooter, sure assuming we can have a solid playmaker on the other half-boards capable on the other side (I recommend Reinhart).

Risto as the other shooter, no thanks. There's no way I want a guy who is a liability in keeping the puck in on the PP to be on that unit. Not to mention he has a terrible knack at not getting the puck consistently through from the point. Sure he's fun to watch on the PP in OT where it's 4 on 3.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd go with this:

PP1
Net: Okposo

PP2
LHW: Reinhart
Bumper: Staal
Net: Thompson

I know it's blasphemy to take Reinhart away from PP1 net front, but I think his playmaking at LHW was really good when he was there last year. Let him set up Ristolainen and Olofsson and make PP2 really good. PP1 will be fine with another player net front.

The problem I see with PP2 is that Reinhart isn't a big shooting threat and teams will overplay VO in that scenario.

I would put two shooting threats on the HW for each PP:

PP1
Net: Reinhart

PP2
LHW: Thompson
Bumper: Staal [or Cozens]
Net: Okposo [Staal if Cozens at bumper]

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
Taylor Hall pros:

Ridiculously fast

Negatives:

Overall the kid is a star but can be frustrating at times because he doesn’t adapt his game and is difficult to find chemistry with. Generally high IQ hockey players work best with him. I’m curious to see if it will work with Eichel because when Hall is on a line he wants the puck especially in the neutral zone leading the attack. I’m not sure how that will work for jack. Good thing about Hall is he doesn’t depend on line mates a ton so he can drive his own line easily.

Great breakdown of Hall. Sounds like Reinhart would be a perfect complement to Hall. I'm sure Hall will start with Eichel but the best line combo might be Hall-Stall-Reinhart.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The problem I see with PP2 is that Reinhart isn't a big shooting threat and teams will overplay VO in that scenario.

I would put two shooting threats on the HW for each PP:

PP1
Net: Reinhart

PP2
LHW: Thompson
Bumper: Staal [or Cozens]
Net: Okposo [Staal if Cozens at bumper]

I don't necessarily see the need for the shooting threats to be at the half walls. Having the point and one shooter in the umbrella as a threat is enough to force the high forward in the PK to open up.

Reactions: Royal Thunder

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't necessarily see the need for the shooting threats to be at the half walls. Having the point and one shooter in the umbrella as a threat is enough to force the high forward in the PK to open up.

I'm guessing that with VO and Reinhart on the HWs of PP2, the other team just takes one forward and staples him to VO and essentially turn it into a 4 on 3. They started to overplay VO last year with Eichel on the other side.

They made need to send Ralph Tape to Space: Redefining Modern Hockey Tactics and go with the below the goal line PP2.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

I’m always fascinated with the inner workings of these processes. Thank you for Posting this.
1ED5C7A7-62A3-44B4-93E9-8E4CACFC49FD.gif

In the interview this morning on The Instigators, I was impressed by Hall being clear that this is Jack’s Team. For a guy that has a reputation for being single-minded, what I heard was a man secure enough in himself to be comfortable with not being The Guy.

I agree that there were some cringe moments in the interview, but I think that’s also part of the their charm.

One thing that comes out in a more relaxed discussion like this is the personality of a Player imho. As a result, I feel like I have more insight into Hall‘s mindset at this stage of his career than what I’d get from the standard approach.

Thank you to @Jim Bob for the link. I was able to listen to it much earlier than usual today.

This Management Team (including Ralph) has rescued the Franchise as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think anyone could have seen this off season coming.
1491C9A7-C94C-4C6C-881F-027ED3FE6D9C.gif

Cheers

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I like the energy here, but I hope Ralph doesn't honestly believe the addition of Hall makes the Sabres an elite team. Hall is a great addition, but there's a lot of work left to do before I claim this team is even playoff calibre- let alone an elite team.
I don't think they're elite, but it's important to remember that, despite all of the Sabres' recent failures, "playoff caliber" is a pretty low bar to clear.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

If I’m the coach I’m 100% leaving Olofsson on PP1, he looked like one of the elite pp weapons in the league this year. Best shooter on the team, I’m leaving him on the top unit to fill the Ovi/Laine role. Teams having to cover for VO’s one timer will continue to open up ice for Eichel/Dahlin/Hall while Sam works below the goal line and in front of the net.

Hall-Reinhart-Olofsson
Eichel-Dahlin

Skinner-Staal-Cozens
Risto-Miller

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Hall came here to play w eichel and prob Reinhart. That said..once that clicks.. We have anf excellent second line w competitive stars that coupf light the lamp nearly as much.. W dahlin looking like sandy squirrel on steroids and risto miller or montour jumping up to feed and maintain possession. Im fairly confident every one gets their chances.. Ok to the rookie s may find themselves gifted matchups that they can exploit.. I trust in Ralph.. Cant wait. To kick Toronto pansy azses as well as the rest.. Eichel is no longer. Going to have to carry this team and we have two guys w a point of view that equals out the prevailing point of view in the room after early losses .. Perfect

I'm all thrilled to have hall at what may be the best time of his career.. Hungry and driven to honor a coach he agrees w ..Staal w talent around him and renewed purpose.. Even Eakin may play a role that actually elevates who is around him..someone mentioned vanek roy pommer.. We may have five kids that could turn into that three..dominatimg the lower half of the league .. We were competitive w two subpar lines last year.. Wow to building this actual team in training camp this year..liking our chances.. Idbe afraid of us w Eichel having a supporting cast and a goalie..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad