Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Taylor Hall. 1 year, $8M

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm glad it was Krueger/Adams on those calls instead of Peters and Rivet...so much cringe in this interview.
Yeah there are some awkward moments but its probably nice to have a more relaxed interview

Hall seems like a pretty thoughtful guy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm still shocked he came here. His health issues are a concern for me if we do decide to extend him. We'd have to move some pieces around. Regardless, he's a line driver, and I have to agree with the sentiments of others- I'd like to spread the wealth around and keep him off of Eichel's line unless we're in dire need of a goal.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm still shocked he came here. His health issues are a concern for me if we do decide to extend him. We'd have to move some pieces around. Regardless, he's a line driver, and I have to agree with the sentiments of others- I'd like to spread the wealth around and keep him off of Eichel's line unless we're in dire need of a goal.

With regards to lines, it will be interesting to see if Hall-Eichel & Skinner-Staal works well or if Hall-Staal & Skinner-Eichel might work better.

I could see Hall and Eichel both liking the puck on their stick a lot that having them on separate lines as working out better.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
With regards to lines, it will be interesting to see if Hall-Eichel & Skinner-Staal works well or if Hall-Staal & Skinner-Eichel might work better.

I could see Hall and Eichel both liking the puck on their stick a lot that having them on separate lines as working out better.

The reason I like the idea of Hall and Eichel on their own lines is (1) that both can drive play on their own, and having that ability on 2 lines would be sick; and (2) I think they'll be harder for opponents to defend separately than together. It creates a tougher match-up situation.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The reason I like the idea of Hall and Eichel on their own lines is (1) that both can drive play on their own, and having that ability on 2 lines would be sick; and (2) I think they'll be harder for opponents to defend separately than together. It creates a tougher match-up situation.

The intriguing part of putting them together is that they both have the speed to keep up with the other and Hall playing LW with Eichel being a RH shot is ideal.

Plus, playing with Eichel had to have been a big part of what they sold him on to sign here. So, they will start there.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I like the energy here, but I hope Ralph doesn't honestly believe the addition of Hall makes the Sabres an elite team. Hall is a great addition, but there's a lot of work left to do before I claim this team is even playoff calibre- let alone an elite team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I like the energy here, but I hope Ralph doesn't honestly believe the addition of Hall makes the Sabres an elite team. Hall is a great addition, but there's a lot of work left to do before I claim this team is even playoff calibre- let alone an elite team.

I just hate the word elite. It is so overused today, especially in the hockey world.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I mean, it was a sales call so I wouldn't read too much into it

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
His interview yesterday made it seem like he wants to be here long term. Give up next years first to have Seattle take Okposo and resign him.

Not going to lie, Skinner might be the better player for them to take. That contract is really bad. Okposo is manageable. It's only two years after this year. Who knows if something were to happen with LTIR with him.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I mean, it was a sales call so I wouldn't read too much into it
True. My brain tends to over analyze a lot of things- according to my wife, haha...

We'll see what the rest of the offseason entails.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not going to lie, Skinner might be the better player for them to take. That contract is really bad. Okposo is manageable. It's only two years after this year. Who knows if something were to happen with LTIR with him.

Skinner has a full NMC so he has to be protected unless the Sabres get him to waive. Which given history, I doubt he would.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I disagree. I think the Sabres have a lot of the right players in place. Eichel and Hall themselves could make the first two lines very hard to defend against. Just having two lines who can score reliably probably wins some games the Sabres lost last year.

I'd rather keep Skinner and see if there's a compliance buyout with the next CBA. He can still perform. Okposo is a 4th liner. I'd rather free that money up.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I don’t know we’ll see. Im expecting to see 35 goal skinner this season tho.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Taylor Hall pros:

Ridiculously fast
Strong on the puck with his obscure wide stance skating style
Can make some beautiful dekes at high speed
Effort level is dialed up to 100 every time
Has a good release on his shot
Challenges the other teams D, very aggressive
Under the radar high end passing ability

Negatives:

Doesn’t really change his game for anyone, can be difficult to play with
Can be caught trying to do too much, goes for the superstar play instead of the simple smart one often
Surprisingly not a high end goal scorer more of a playmaker
Very injury prone with his balls to the wall style

Overall the kid is a star but can be frustrating at times because he doesn’t adapt his game and is difficult to find chemistry with. Generally high IQ hockey players work best with him. I’m curious to see if it will work with Eichel because when Hall is on a line he wants the puck especially in the neutral zone leading the attack. I’m not sure how that will work for jack. Good thing about Hall is he doesn’t depend on line mates a ton so he can drive his own line easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->