Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Matt Irwin 1 year/$700k

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Dahlin-Gudas
McCabe-Joker
Merrill-Miller

Montour+Risto for assets/forwards probably would give us a better team and more ammo, but nothing indicates either Gudas or Merrill would have come, although we could have beat either offer

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He is LD?

He's a bottom pair, #7 LD. This is a stupid signing that will keep one of the prospects in Rochester.
Predators Trade Actual Assets for Ducks’ Korbinian Holzer
Matt Irwin has not been good during his tenure with the Nashville Predators. He had a promising first season in limited minutes, and then that promise fizzled and faded like dew in the sun. He’s been defensively poor, lacks offensive skill to make up for it, and is neither fast nor physical. He’s not good for a NHL player, which is to say that he’s still among the top thousand or two men in the world at playing ice hockey. Somehow, incredibly, David Poile has managed to find an unquestionably worse defender than Irwin, and then allowed himself to be persuaded to exchange actual assets for that defender.

ERkbaehWkAIuzZk.png

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Yup. I double checked as soon as I saw the signing, because lord help us if we signed another RD.
Definitely more of a spare D than someone you want in your starting 6, though.
Can I ask where you found that he is a LD? I've been trying to figure out what position people actually play and haven't been able to find a good source. Like Kahun being referred to as a RW in some places, C in some places and LW others.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Can I ask where you found that he is a LD? I've been trying to figure out what position people actually play and haven't been able to find a good source. Like Kahun being referred to as a RW in some places, C in some places and LW others.

I just looked at his hockey-reference page, says he shoots left.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have a feeling there will be an expanded roster of around

17/9/4 because of no AHL or some limited form of like 16 teams where each team fields 12 players on.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I have a feeling there will be an expanded roster of around

17/9/4 because of no AHL or some limited form of like 16 teams where each team fields 12 players on.

Yeah, I definitely expect there will be expanded rosters this year, in which case having extra established depth guys is not a bad thing. Our LD situation looks pretty sad at the moment, however, though I am cautiously optimistic about Bryson.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
He was surprisingly solid when he came over to the Ducks at the deadline. So if this is for 7th dman spot, that's fine. No reason to have Borgen or Bryson riding pine in the NHL. Call them up when there's an injury and they can actually be in the line-up.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I definitely expect there will be expanded rosters this year, in which case having extra established depth guys is not a bad thing. Our LD situation looks pretty sad at the moment, however, though I am cautiously optimistic about Bryson.

I think there will be trades that change things. I’m fine given Bryson a shot. I do want some experience

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I just looked at his hockey-reference page, says he shoots left.

He's on the left side in the video

And there's other video on the same hosting service which shows him on the LD always. Even when he walks the line on the PP, with a teammate cycling to his left point to cover, there's always another defender farther to his right.

He's a left d-man.

Note also he was a full-time roster player the entire season and playoffs when Nashville lost in the Finals to the Pens (for the Pens repeat Cup) in 2017.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's a bottom pair, #7 LD. This is a stupid signing that will keep one of the prospects in Rochester.

Which is a fine thing if you ask me. Bryson might be close, but I don't think he's ready. I'd MUCH rather a vet like Irwin step in on a moment's notice to fill in than keep a young guy up here to fill the same role.

And if the rosters really are expanding such as to form a "Black Aces" thing for the entire condensed season.....words can't express how much more I would rather have a Black Aces corps filled with vet min guys than youth who aren't playing. (Of course, should the AHL and juniors decide not to play this year.......I reserve the right to go back on this statement).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad