Player Discussion Sabres sign G Carter Hutton to a 3 Year Deal with $2.75M AAV

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Average...

Also known as mediocre around these parts. Our goalie is very mediocre... :laugh:

First thought I had seeing this is the narratives about how Housley still sucks and we’re only winning due to Hutton’s all star goaltending. That said I’m not a fan of “expected” stats

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This Sean Tierney guy posts his advanced analytics like it gospel and tells the entire story and uses absolutes and definites which is just so ridiculous. Hockey is a fluid game with constant change literally happening instantly. This is not baseball. The games are not decided by who has better advanced stats. Advanced stats and analytics are a good tool to use along with the eye test but some of these analytic guys on line are some of the most snobby Marks who think the analytical model that they create is the end all be all of telling the story of teams and players.

The fact this guy considers what Hutton has done is merely average just proves this guy does not watch a second of Hutton and just plugs in his data to decide who is good and who isn't. Hutton has been well above average. Not elite but he has definitely been one of the better goalies in the league this year. And what his special analytics dont show is the clutch amazing saves he makes at certain points of the game totally save the Sabres and allow them to stay in the game to tie it up. Hutton has made huge save after huge save almost every game.

I am so happy we have him for another 2 years. Especially at 2.75 mil. We are getting top 10-15 goalie play from a guy making 2.75 mil. When guys like Carey Price are making over 3 times as much it makes you appreciative of getting similar goaltending for a fraction. The 4-5 mil difference from Hutton and the big $$$ goalies is what allows us trade for and extend a Jeff Skinner. And with Hutton here the next 2 years after we may be able to keep Ullmarks AAV pretty cheap since he wont be getting the large amount of starts needed to secure a high salary.

At the end of the day Botterill made one of the best signings of free agency. He added a vet locker room leader who players look up to who has played like a true above average #1 goalie. And he got him super cheap.

Signing Hutton and trading for Skinner and Sheary were incredible shrewd moves.

Deleted member 27798

Hutton is a career backup. Ullmark is the only chance they have to make the playoffs this year. Maybe the new goalie coach whisperer can work wonders on one or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He won't even be ready to play his 1st professional game much before the holiday season. I really doubt he is going to make any impact on the Sabres 19-20 season.

Maybe it's a miracle and he comes on like our Jordan Binnington even though I'd even be thrilled with Carter Hart.

Deleted member 27798

Maybe it's a miracle and he comes on like our Jordan Binnington even though I'd even be thrilled with Carter Hart.
You do know that Binnington bounced around the AHL for 4 seasons before his mid-season call up in 18-19?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He won't even be ready to play his 1st professional game much before the holiday season. I really doubt he is going to make any impact on the Sabres 19-20 season.

I was mostly joking. Two soft goals by Hutton last night have me depressed. We suck between the pipes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->