Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign BU winger Evan Rodrigues to 2-yr ELC

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
yeah i agree. I now want Ullmark to stay in Sweden next year. There is zero rush to bring him over, especially coming off double hip surgery. Missing the start of the year, having to recover and also adjust to a new league? no thanks, keep him comfortable in Sweden until he's 100% and he gets his game back.

He can get healthy here and I'd love to see him get out of the Modo tire fire. Also, get acclimated to teammates and culture.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Players from this years draft may be eligible but I can't see a player not being NHL ready leaving from Europe or American hockey for the AHL, it rarely happens. Just an example! If Buffalo drafts Kylington he could jump to the AHL but from what I have seen they usually play out their contract or stay in Europe for another year or two.

The only player that comes to mind is Girgensons.

Nylander did it this year, though not until halfway through the season. Pastrnak did. Both came from the SHL. I agree that it's uncommon though.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Nylander did it this year, though not until halfway through the season. Pastrnak did. Both came from the SHL. I agree that it's uncommon though.

Honka and Fiala also played in the AHL this year (Fiala, like Nylander, coming over mid-season).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Given loss of Armia and Lemieux from the prospect stable, getting some sort of offensively gifted player into the talent pool, especially off right wing, is a plus.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
So exactly what do we have here in Rodrigues?

There were more than a few negative comments about an AHL winger trying to play center at the NHL level when he was brought up. He's got a few games under his belt now and he's been okay and at times pretty good. I think he's done better than expected, actually.

So, are we looking at our future 3rd or 4th line center? Or is this too small a sample and/or a fluke. Does his being in the organization mean that Larsson or Girgensons become more a vulnerable in a trade scenario? Is he ready for prime time next year or does he need more AHL time or has his recent call up been a total fluke?

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I like that he is apparently, likely at the encouragement of management, reinventing his game. He was never going to cut it as a skilled top 6 scorer. But perhaps he can harness the skill he does have, his athleticism, and a keen hockey intelligence into being a solid bottom 6 option. If he can learn the center position all the better. That's certainly a better way to go than the route of a Mark Mancari.

It'd be great to have players like him ready to step up in the future when we inevitably lose the likes of Larsson, Girgensons, and Foligno to free agency.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He has 4 ES points in 10 games this season. Sure, against COL/ARI/VAN, but it's still more consistent than most players. What annoys me is him getting demoted to only 8 minutes the last two games despite getting goals in each.

I liked how he looked in camp and really wanted him with Eichel at the start of the season. He seems to actually control the pick instead of chip and lose it like half this team. I can't recall defensive flubs either.

I hope he can keep up the pace and we can re-sign him.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He has 4 ES points in 10 games this season. Sure, against COL/ARI/VAN, but it's still more consistent than most players. What annoys me is him getting demoted to only 8 minutes the last two games despite getting goals in each.

I liked how he looked in camp and really wanted him with Eichel at the start of the season. He seems to actually control the pick instead of chip and lose it like half this team. I can't recall defensive flubs either.

Murray singled him out last year when called up, basically said wow he looked good. I think its safe to say Murray likes him and Erod has a spot in Buffalo. He actually has 6 ES points in 12 games.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Really small sample but he's leading the team in p/60 at even strength :nod:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Murray singled him out last year when called up, basically said wow he looked good. I think its safe to say Murray likes him and Erod has a spot in Buffalo. He actually has 6 ES points in 12 games.

2 points from 2 games last April.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
ERod seems to have good chemistry with Ennis. He's not physical at all, but you have to love him as a bottom 6 right now. He can play wing or center, he can kill penalties, and if you lose a top 2 forward, he can plug in there. I bet he could also plug into a second PP unit - maybe even QB. He reminds me of a hybrid of Ennis and Pominville.

The only question is whether he may be a top 6 forward at some point down the road and not be happy in the bottom 6.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
ERod seems to have good chemistry with Ennis. He's not physical at all, but you have to love him as a bottom 6 right now. He can play wing or center, he can kill penalties, and if you lose a top 2 forward, he can plug in there. I bet he could also plug into a second PP unit - maybe even QB. He reminds me of a hybrid of Ennis and Pominville.

The only question is whether he may be a top 6 forward at some point down the road and not be happy in the bottom 6.

The NHL is moving towards a top 9 forward. With the third line being defensively responsible first but many are 30-40 point players. If he signed for 2 years 1 mil a year he can do everything Geo does but better and cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad