Sabres Re-unite trade partnership with Carolina to pull off blockbuster trade

With the deadline fast approaching, Sabres GM Joshua Pitt figured he had his missing piece lined up. A player who could add a lot to their scoring lines, or help carry a checking line if needed. But in the 11th hour, Brian Rolston slipped away. Valued for his speed, scoring, defense and leadership, Rolston had all the qualities Pitt felt would possibly push Buffalo over the top this season. When the deal died, and only a day or two before the deadline, Sabres management went into panic mode. Names like Arnott, Knuble + Dumont were thrown around, but cap space was an issue. Mark Recchi was another key target, but again, too late. Mike Grier seemed to be the best of the rest, and then something popped up.

"I'd been putting out a light feeler for a week or so about him, but I never really thought anything was going to come of it, and it looked like Rolston was going to be our deadline guy, so we almost completely let it slide, but as it turned out, we caught up and sat down and hashed it out together in only an hour or so.

That deal saw Alexander Ovechkin, possibly the best player in the HFNHL switch franchises and head north to Buffalo. The deal happened so fast that most of the media weren't even aware it was a possibility until hours before the league gave its blessing. The mad chaotic scramble in Buffalo that ensued was reminiscent to something out of War of the Worlds, where fans were spreading rumors like wildfire, but not sure if it was actually real, or some wonderfully sick prank designed to get their hopes up before crushing it on deadline day with no deal of any sort.

In the end, it proved to be true. Buffalo got their man. Ovechkin donned a Sabres jersey for the first time in front of screaming fans, and reporters fell over themselves and each other to be the first in line to ask the new addition how he felt about the whole situation.

After 20 minutes or so of answering questions, it became clear. Ovechkin is delighted to be able to challenge for a cup, and should find the level of talent around him to be a refreshing change. Whether Buffalo choose to put together an uber-line, or balance things out is yet to be seen, but either way, Ovechkin is now only being asked to lead the charge from the front, not carry a franchise on his back. Buffalo also picked up a 4th round pick and prospect Thomas Vincour, but unfortunately for him, nobody seemed to notice.

Players like Ovechkin don't come cheap however, and sacrifices were made. Anze Kopitar, long labeled Buffalo's franchise pivot was sent to Raleigh, along with emerging winger Ville Leino, San Jose's 1st round pick and Buffalo's 2nd and 3rd. its a lot to give up, but nobody will argue that the Sabres aren't getting the best player in the deal, and possibly the piece that will restore them from poor form and take them to a cup.

From the man who once joked he could have been Lou Lamorillo's lost son with the way he managed his teams, old Lou would have have been proud of Buffalo's long time GM. This move screamed of Lamorillo. A strong goaltender with a rock solid if unspectacular defense, and a solid group of 2 way frowards suddenly adding a dynamic goal scorer at the deadline to carry their PP and give them something they don't have. Buffalo have possibly won more 1 goal games than anybody else in the league. Mostly because they have to grind out so many of those results. They do it extremely well.....but don't have that game breaking scorer capable of lighting the lamp on a near nightly basis.

It could be a spectacular move, or one that kills a franchise...the question will be for both Carolina and Buffalo.....which one of those will it be?

Thats all.....for now

Buffalo Bill,

Hockey Editor for The Buffalo News

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
A very nice trade Josh...I am glad I have played my 2 games against you with a record of ahem 2-0. However, I am not looking forward to 1st round match up against your stacked team.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Very nice pick up good deal for both teams heres hoping ovechkin doesnt score a ton and take the title from Toews :p and heres being glad i too hold a 2-0 record against you and dont think i play you at all the remainder of the year :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->