Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Casey Nelson. 1 year 2-way ($700k/$160k)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Whatever Rochester depth.

All normal stuff; they aren't doing those MacWilliam, Redmond, Porter, AHL only deals for vets this year (aside from Dalton), which I'm fine with.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

upload_2020-10-22_21-10-7.png

There's a couple guys AHL-only, but it's no where near last year, where AHL-Only was like 1/2 the team.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's a different philosophy. Botterill was using AHL deals to be core players. That's stupid from a developmental perspective. Adams is signing them to be supporting cast.

Fully agreed. Adams took the better approach by getting better talent, but also didn’t ignore stable Rochester leadership like Murray.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Fully agreed. Adams took the better approach by getting better talent, but also didn’t ignore stable Rochester leadership like Murray.

Murray gave us the biggest trade in Sabres history:

The Sabres acquired Alex Guptill, Eric O’Dell, Cole Schneider, and defenceman Michael Sdao from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for forwards Jason Akeson and Phil Varone and defenceman Jerome Leduc. A conditional pick is also headed to the Senators.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It's a different philosophy. Botterill was using AHL deals to be core players. That's stupid from a developmental perspective. Adams is signing them to be supporting cast.
I'm not sure it's that so much as the degree of uncertainty there is as to whether there will even be an AHL season.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Ah yes, another RHD. Can never have too many.

LOL. This is Rochester related business not the big club. If the Sabres are forced to dress Nelson they are definitely in trouble....

BUT

Perennial joke of a former Sabre Dman Taylor Fedun got traded to Dallas at the beginning of 18/19 while starting out in Rochester, goes to Dallas in 18/19 for a Conditional 7th plays 54 reg. season games and 7 playoff ones. Then this last year played 27 reg season games and 11 postseason ones. As a pure #6, his underlying numbers were actually a net positive and he wasn't even insanely sheltered. He was a solid #6 on his own merit. But all I am saying is that while Nelson is a likely career AHLer you can never really know who can surpass expectations and make an impact bigger then ever expected.
In 16-17 and 17-18, when we saw Fedun in our lineup did ANYONE actually think Fedun would be TRADED (or expecting a team to give an actual asset for him) to a team who made the playoffs both years no less and not only that but play 18 playoff games in those 2 seasons?Including playing the 11 out of 13 games in the first 2 rounds in the playoffs of the Western Conference Champs this past year? Unfortunately even though he played 2/3rds of last regular season, every Dallas playoff game in 18/19 and played 27 games this past year and 11 postseason games, to get your name on the cup you need either 41 reg. season games or appear in a cup game.

Anyway if Nelson is trying to become the next Fedun or better, he has to get past...

Ristolainen, Jokiharju, Montour, Miller from the big club, Borgen and Fitzgerald from his own team, and then Albert Lyckasen, Miska Kukkonen,and Oskari Laaksonen as the RHD prospects under Sabre control.

Thats a lot of RHD. But I will be rooting for Nelson. I find it funny we deployed 2 bottom pairing RHD in Taylor Fedun and Chad Ruhwedel , and the Sabres deemed those 2 as not good enough for our 9 seasons and counting playoff missing franchise yet were good enough for Pittsburgh to play him 137 reg season games over parts of 4 seasons along with 18 playoff games (Ruhwedel) and Fedun playing 81 reg season games for Dallas the past 2 years and 18 playoff games.

Oh the ironic thing is that both these perennial playoff teams still employ them both and have them under contract through next season.

What I actually find pretty funny is that over the last 2 seasons Taylor Fedun has played 81 reg. season games. That is technically an entire season. So in the full seasons worth of games he has as a Star,

Fedun has put up 6-14-20,+5 while averaging 13:49 mijutes a game.

Johan Larsson has been a full time or at least #1 injury call up+full time player for 7 FULL seasons. The last 5 he has been an undisputed full time NHL player. And in those 7 seasons, Larsson surpassed Feduns season long goal total of 6 just one time (2015-2016,10 goals), matched Feduns 6 goals 4 seasons and actually scored less goals then Fedun in 1 of those seasons (4 goals in 80s games in 17-18)

Feduns 20 points in his first 81 games as a Star is something Larsson has NEVER done. Actually put up 20 points. In his 7 seasons he appeared in 28+ games (35%+ of the season) he scored 4,16,17,11,17,14 and 18. His ice time? 14:39. Somehow the bottom pairing/fringe journeyman Dman actually outscored Larsson as a DMAN, and he did it getting 50 seconds less a game. The level of upset over Larsson was insane. He was a solid 4C. But the problem was he was deployed as a 3C. While for 1.4 mil per I would not have minded keeping him, it is nice to turn over the roster as much as possible....

my whole point is that I am waiting for the day we find OUR #6 dman, bottom 6 forward cast off who actually comes in and plays hockey decent enough to be a net positive.
player.The bottom pairing dman we find who bounced around a few years but ends up becoming a guy we can throw out for 15 minutes a night and not be at a disadvantage. Or a bottom 6 forward we find who we can play 11-12 minutes a night and end up getting 10-15 goals a season. It may not be Nelson but I want to find our "Fedun or Pens version of Ruhwedel". With a cap strapped team like ourselves, we need to find a vet minimum #7/8 dman and/or a 13/14th forward who will step up when injuries happen and we need an unsung hero to step into the lineup and help the team instead of hurting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad