Sabres Owner holding out hope for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Tom Golisano still has a "shred of optimism" according to the article.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050116/1037167.asp

It's his only interview since the lockout and he carefully avoided discussing anything that could draw a fine. You can read into the quotes below what you want. My interpretation is he wouldn't be opposed to a CBA that combined elements of the NHLPA's luxury tax proposal and the NHL's cap proposal. A luxury tax system within a hard cap might be acceptable. For example:

$30 million: soft cap
$30-40 million: 20% luxury tax
$40-50 million: 50% luxury tax
$50 million: hard cap, no team can exceed this

But the billionaire businessman declined to respond fully when asked if a salary cap was the only way the owners could reach an agreement with the union and resume play.

"I'm not saying that at all," Golisano said Friday, laughing as he told a reporter he wouldn't be baited into discussing the merits of a salary cap.

Does Golisano believe a compromise needs to be reached between the league's salary-cap demand and the union's salary-rollback, luxury-tax proposal?

"Generally in situations like this a solution always requires compromise, but as far as what that solution will be, I can't say," Golisano said. "And that's all I will comment about that."

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
What I find MORE interesting is the fact he said that the dates of Jan 15-20th are close to the point of no return for this season.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
Tom Golisano still has a "shred of optimism" according to the article.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050116/1037167.asp

It's his only interview since the lockout and he carefully avoided discussing anything that could draw a fine. You can read into the quotes below what you want. My interpretation is he wouldn't be opposed to a CBA that combined elements of the NHLPA's luxury tax proposal and the NHL's cap proposal. A luxury tax system within a hard cap might be acceptable. For example:

$30 million: soft cap
$30-40 million: 20% luxury tax
$40-50 million: 50% luxury tax
$50 million: hard cap, no team can exceed this

make those percentages a bit higher and i think youd see the owners agree rather quickly..the players are so opposed to that hard cap tho that its moot

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
Peter said:
What I find MORE interesting is the fact he said that the dates of Jan 15-20th are close to the point of no return for this season.

That does not surprise me at all. I figure we know one way or another by the end of this week.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
txomisc said:
make those percentages a bit higher and i think youd see the owners agree rather quickly..the players are so opposed to that hard cap tho that its moot

I disagree...mayber its because I'm Friggin Intoxicated beyond belief, or maybe it's just the Leafs optimism in me, I think that the NHLPA would accept a hardcap of somewhere around 50-55 million.

sorry to all who read this...I am drunk.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Buffaloed said:
...My interpretation is he wouldn't be opposed to a CBA that combined elements of the NHLPA's luxury tax proposal and the NHL's cap proposal. A luxury tax system within a hard cap might be acceptable...
That's not how I'd interpret it. He responded with little more than a "no comment" on this point.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
GregStack said:
I disagree...mayber its because I'm Friggin Intoxicated beyond belief, or maybe it's just the Leafs optimism in me, I think that the NHLPA would accept a hardcap of somewhere around 50-55 million.

sorry to all who read this...I am drunk.

It's more like a hard cap with a soft spot because luxury tax revenues are to be split between the NHL and the players. A players earnings would be his salary plus his portion of the luxury tax distribution as determined by the NHLPA. If they split it 50:50 there's a nice bonus in there for the players. The cap would also be adjusted every year depending on total league revenues.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Buffaloed said:
It's more like a hard cap with a soft spot because luxury tax revenues are to be split between the NHL and the players. A players earnings would be his salary plus his portion of the luxury tax distribution as determined by the NHLPA. If they split it 50:50 there's a nice bonus in there for the players. The cap would also be adjusted every year depending on total league revenues.

Splitting the luxury tax revenue eh. An interesting concept. Given there will be change, it sounds like something that could broker a compromise. Hopefully we hear something creative soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad