Speculation: Sabres moving on from Lehner

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Who does buffalo have to replace him though? It's not like ufa options are good, the trade market has darling and (super dark horse) maybe an ageing rinne, lukkonen isn't close to ready. If buffalo rolls into the season with kasdorf and Johnson it's going to be a super long season... again.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Grubauer for Buffalo's 2nd in 2018 (#32) and 2nd in 2019. Just about the same value that Frederick Andersen got. Grubauer is the same age that Andersen was when Leafs traded for him but his stats are better than what Andersen's were at the time of the trade.
I keep seeing this proposal and it makes me want to throw up. Grubauer stats are nice but he has played 101 games in 6 seasons. He has some potential but is still unproven and has similar value to what Lehner had before Buffalo traded for him. We trade a late first for Lehner and it plays out terribly, then as Lehner is walking out the door, we trade the first pick in the second round for a guy that had similar value to what Lehner had before we traded for him? No thank you. I would much, much rather roll with Ullmark and a vet through free agency, or a trade where we aren't giving up the first pick in the second round in a good draft.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Who does buffalo have to replace him though? It's not like ufa options are good, the trade market has darling and (super dark horse) maybe an ageing rinne, lukkonen isn't close to ready. If buffalo rolls into the season with kasdorf and Johnson it's going to be a super long season... again.
One of the goaltenders will be Ullmark, this has already been said, but who will be the second is still unclear. Johnson and Kasdorf will definitely not be in Buffalo.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Ullmark will be graduating to the NHL this year, it's going to be him and someone else from the outside, my bet is on a veteran like Bernier or Hutton or Ward who can push for starts.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Kasdorf? I don't even think hes on the team anymore.

Ullmark is being primed to be the next goalie, I honestly see top 10 potential in him and I've been saying this for the last 3 years.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
B9bkwGeIgAIKv8Z.png

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I'm a Buffalo fan living in StL and I've seen a lot of both Lehner and Jake Allen. In no way would I trade Lehner for Jake Allen. Lehner is better. Not saying Lehner is good or that I want him to play goal for us much longer, all I'm saying is that he's better than Jake Allen.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I keep seeing this proposal and it makes me want to throw up. Grubauer stats are nice but he has played 101 games in 6 seasons. He has some potential but is still unproven and has similar value to what Lehner had before Buffalo traded for him. We trade a late first for Lehner and it plays out terribly, then as Lehner is walking out the door, we trade the first pick in the second round for a guy that had similar value to what Lehner had before we traded for him? No thank you. I would much, much rather roll with Ullmark and a vet through free agency, or a trade where we aren't giving up the first pick in the second round in a good draft.

I hope you're joking about the comparison of Lehner and Grubauer. No way they have similar value and its obvious that you have not done due diligence in comparing their stats. Grubauer is a much better goalie than Lehner. Lehner in the season before being traded to Buffalo played in 25 games with Ottawa with a gaa of 3.02, while Grubauer just finished a season where he played in 35 games with a 2.35 gaa. No comparison and no similar value.

john716

Mar 22, 2013
Buffalo,New York
Curious what issue Buffalo fans have with Lehner personally?

Obviously his one-ice angry outbursts are well documented, and his play has disappointed plenty...but is there off ice stuff that has gone on as well? Is this a case of a player simply leaving on not great terms and fans taking shots at him on the way out (no offense)?
We love his outburst and his aggressive nature. We don’t love his ability to stop easy goals from going in the net. And his shootout record is ridiculous to say the least

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Is Allen really worse than Lehner? I thought he was a not bad goaltender.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
This makes me happy. The pick used to get Lehner was the NYI pick via the Vanek trade (to which Buffalo fans (not all of them but a lot) acted very classlessly and I'll leave it there).

Nice to see they got nothing from Vanek in the long run.
Lol, that is actually a pretty funny take. I'm not being sarcastic, I actually appreciate your reasoning and it made me laugh.

Reactions: Riseonfire

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brian Murray was right about him all along,he was moved because of his unwillingness to develop in the ahl and build up his strength to handle the load as a number 1 goalie..He whined his way out after a short playoff run that won him the ahl championship...Now we see he is often injuried,and cant ever seem to play a full season,the talent was there...Unfortunately so was the hardheadness

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Curious what issue Buffalo fans have with Lehner personally?

Obviously his one-ice angry outbursts are well documented, and his play has disappointed plenty...but is there off ice stuff that has gone on as well? Is this a case of a player simply leaving on not great terms and fans taking shots at him on the way out (no offense)?
Threw his teammates under the bus to the press. Painted Go Trump or something on his mask at one point. Generally hot headed.

Reactions: Heretic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad