Speculation: Sabres moving on from Lehner

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's good, I don't want to see Lehner in Buffalo next season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It sucked in the abstract, and then it sucked more when we saw him play, and it sucked further when we got to know him personally.

yeah he seems like maybe not necessarily a bad person but definitely not a good one.
Curious what issue Buffalo fans have with Lehner personally?

Obviously his one-ice angry outbursts are well documented, and his play has disappointed plenty...but is there off ice stuff that has gone on as well? Is this a case of a player simply leaving on not great terms and fans taking shots at him on the way out (no offense)?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From what I recall he would throw teammates under bus (As well as himself) and just seemed like the emotional stereotype of a goalie who maybe isn't cut out to be a true #1

I am sure the locker room wasn't thrilled with a goalie performing as badly as him throwing them under bus while he was losing games on his own

Reactions: Yatzhee

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Obviously his one-ice angry outbursts are well documented, and his play has disappointed plenty...but is there off ice stuff that has gone on as well? Is this a case of a player simply leaving on not great terms and fans taking shots at him on the way out (no offense)?
It's based solely on his play. No off 8ce issues, at least that I'm aware of.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I dont have a problem with him personally.... he's just not very good and never should of got a 1st round pick in the trade

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
From what I recall he would throw teammates under bus (As well as himself) and just seemed like the emotional stereotype of a goalie who maybe isn't cut out to be a true #1

I am sure the locker room wasn't thrilled with a goalie performing as badly as him throwing them under bus while he was losing games on his own
You know how deflating it is when your team is trying to win but your goalie lets in a softy every game because of pretty bad fundamentals. I am not sure if its Lehner or its on our goalie coach.

justmuckit

Feb 25, 2018
You know how deflating it is when your team is trying to win but your goalie lets in a softy every game because of pretty bad fundamentals. I am not sure if its Lehner or its on our goalie coach.

How about the Blues trade Jake Allen to Buffalo , and you can answer that question.

:popcorn:

Reactions: brokeu91

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

I don't understand why he was such a Trump supporter being from sweden and all.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Grubauer for Buffalo's 2nd in 2018 (#32) and 2nd in 2019. Just about the same value that Frederick Andersen got. Grubauer is the same age that Andersen was when Leafs traded for him but his stats are better than what Andersen's were at the time of the trade.

Reactions: ThomasG

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
The biggest problem that many Sabres fans have with him is what they gave up for him - a 1st. Any conversation involving Lehners play always have people complaining about that 1st. It really clouds peoples judgement of him. If it was a 3rd, people would not hate him as much.

That being said, first couple of years I did not have a problem with his play. He gave up soft goals from time to time but he was not the issue. This year he just stunk and if he does not return, so be it but the options arent all that much better.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Hello, Sabres of Buffalo fans! The Flyers of Philadelphia have a gently used Neuvirth you could have. Since you spent a 1st rd pick on Lehner, we'll only ask for a 5th in 2019. Thanks!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Grubauer for Buffalo's 2nd in 2018 (#32) and 2nd in 2019. Just about the same value that Frederick Andersen got. Grubauer is the same age that Andersen was when Leafs traded for him but his stats are better than what Andersen's were at the time of the trade.

Anderson had larger sample size as #1 and a long playoff run under his belt

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Goalie was a big issue for Buffalo this past season, got to think getting a better #1 goalie than Lehner is a high priority for them this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad