Proposal: Sabres-Montreal & Columbus

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think the Habs one is awful value, but they probably pass because:

1) they're not in full rebuild, so likely wont be moving a player that can help now (Domi) for primarily a pic (8th OA);
2) they don't really have space to make use of Miller with Weber and Petry on the right side; and
3) I doubt they're ready to move on from Mete yet unless they get good value for him.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Columbus would be better off giving playing time to Foudy and Peeke vs. giving up assets for a meh dman and a likely bust. Peeke is ready for a full-time third pairing role now while Foudy will likely be ready after a season in Cleveland.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't think the Habs one is awful value, but they probably pass because:

1) they're not in full rebuild, so likely wont be moving a player that can help now (Domi) for primarily a pic (8th OA);
2) they don't really have space to make use of Miller with Weber and Petry on the right side; and
3) I doubt they're ready to move on from Mete yet unless they get good value for him.

Domi already has a higher value than 8OA (by drafting Perfetti you hope to get a player as good as Domi in 4 years...), so why would the Habs have to add Mete and take cap dumps in return ? ;)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Domi already has a higher value than 8OA (by drafting Perfetti you hope to get a player as good as Domi in 4 years...), so why would the Habs have to add Mete and take cap dumps in return ? ;)

Domi's value is hard to tell without being in a front office, because you can logically explain away his best and worst seasons. There's a scenario in a rebuild where cap flexibility makes the 8th more palatable to Domi. I wouldn't make that trade 1 for 1, but I get the argument.

I also don't think Miller is a cap dump. He struggled in Buffalo, but he was good in Boston and Vegas, and Montreal plays a similar possession-heavy game to them (just without the shooting/offensive talent).

I've seen much worse proposal's on here, it just doesn't make sense for Montreal.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Two deals to try to get this team back to relevance:

To Montreal:
8th overall
Miller
Hutton

To Buffalo:
Domi
Mete

To Columbus:
Montour
Mittelstadt

To Buffalo:
Savard
Anderson (re-sign 2yrs. 2.25M)

Sign Dell 2yrs 2.75M

Skinner-Eichel-Anderson
Olofsson-Domi-Reinhart
Johansson-Cozens-Kahun
Asplund-Lazar—Okposo
Ex) Thompson, Ruotsalainen

Dahlin-Savard
McCabe-Jokhiharju
Mete-Ristolainen
Ex) Bryson

Ullmark
Dell

Mete's value >>Miller and Hutton
I prefer Domi over the 8th.
So that's a EASY pass from the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see Montreal getting a sweet deal on Domi's next contract. Flat cap and a down season should put him in the 4.5 to 5M range. If i am Bergevin, i take this opportunity to lock him up long-term.

Agreed. Probably going to be around what Drouin got. 6 years at $5.5M. Maybe Domi gets $6M to match Ehlers contract. I had Domi somewhere between Ehlers and Nylander on his next contract but with a flat cap? It's reasonable that this favors the Habs.

However, Domi could push for a 2 year deal like Nurse just got which I would not like as a Habs fan. Domi has 2 RFA years left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's do it

Sabres need to throw in a future 2nd (22 or 23 drafts) in order for me to consider that. Domi > 8th OA dart. That 8th OA likely projects to be = to Domi with a chance he could be slightly better, worse, or bust. Domi is a proven 55-75 pts NHL asset at the young age of 25.

Sabres need this more than the Habs do. Domi can be signed for a team friendly deal with this flat cap so Habs won't be desperate to move him like you see in some of the trade chatter on these boards.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Just seems like CBJ is giving up alot of talent and not getting much back.

Two players I'd rather not trade, for two players I don't particularly want to trade for.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sabres need to throw in a future 2nd (22 or 23 drafts) in order for me to consider that. Domi > 8th OA dart. That 8th OA likely projects to be = to Domi with a chance he could be slightly better, worse, or bust. Domi is a proven 55-75 pts NHL asset at the young age of 25.

Sabres need this more than the Habs do. Domi can be signed for a team friendly deal with this flat cap so Habs won't be desperate to move him like you see in some of the trade chatter on these boards.

If it only requires a distant 2nd for you to consider it, then 8th OA can't be much less valuable than Domi.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Domi is a proven 55-75 pts NHL asset at the young age of 25.
I mean - he's hit that range once in 5 years during an up-year in league-wide scoring, including this year which he was not on pace for the lower end of it. I like Domi just fine, but I wouldn't trade for him counting on that kind of production.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean - he's hit that range once in 5 years during an up-year in league-wide scoring, including this year which he was not on pace for the lower end of it. I like Domi just fine, but I wouldn't trade for him counting on that kind of production.

His career numbers are prorated to 55 pts and 18 goals. His numbers are higher with the Habs vs the Coyotes cause he has played on a slightly better team. He has never played with real good talent. Spin it anyway you want. He was on pace for 51 pts in an off year with the Habs. Can you name the players Domi played with on his line this year? It's a long list cause the Habs faced injuries and he was bounced all over the place due to team needs.

Not the perfect player but the guy has skill and just heading into prime years. 55-80 pts is a good range for him.... depending on who he plays with. This applies to so many players like this.

If you are going to trade for him or negotiate a contract, of course you use 50-55 pts as a bench mark. That's business. But if you are able to get him signed for that type of production and you have skilled players for him to play with, you might have a steal of a contract for a guy heading into prime years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
His career numbers are prorated to 55 pts and 18 goals. His numbers are higher with the Habs vs the Coyotes cause he has played on a slightly better team. He has never played with real good talent. Spin it anyway you want. He was on pace for 51 pts in an off year with the Habs. Can you name the players Domi played with on his line this year? It's a long list cause the Habs faced injuries and he was bounced all over the place due to team needs.

Not the perfect player but the guy has skill and just heading into prime years. 55-80 pts is a good range for him.... depending on who he plays with. This applies to so many players like this.

If you are going to trade for him or negotiate a contract, of course you use 50-55 pts as a bench mark. That's business. But if you are able to get him signed for that type of production and you have skilled players for him to play with, you might have a steal of a contract for a guy heading into prime years.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. This wasn't an off year for Domi. That's right in his wheelhouse. 18-19 was an off year for him.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
So, MTL, a team thin at LD but deep at RD and G, trades one of its few LD and a F, to add a RD and a G?

Not a chance.
Montreal should do this in a second. 8th overall in this draft when we have so many wingers is a no brainer. Mete is whatever. Run with Chiarot, Romanov and Kulak on the left side.

I would do this even to just draft whoever I would have at 9 and take Askarov to solve our goalie situation for the next 10-15 years. All for a 55 point player? Yes please

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Montreal should do this in a second. 8th overall in this draft when we have so many wingers is a no brainer. Mete is whatever. Run with Chiarot, Romanov and Kulak on the left side.

I would do this even to just draft whoever I would have at 9 and take Askarov to solve our goalie situation for the next 10-15 years. All for a 55 point player? Yes please
Why would we waste a good pick on Askarov when we have Primeau?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
See this is exactly what I'm talking about. This wasn't an off year for Domi. That's right in his wheelhouse. 18-19 was an off year for him.

I don't see it that way. What I seen is multiple injuries to several forwards and after the Danault line, there was not stability and Domi was bounced around due to team need. When you have 2nd tier offensive talent like this, who they play with matters. Domi has not played with too much talent that equals his skills... both in Arizona and Montreal so far. 55-80 pts is a good range for him and I repeat... it's about the circumstance of who he plays with.

You put Domi in Tatar's spot and keep him there, you will see a bump in production. You but a guy like Nylander in Domi's shoes and you will see similar results. Domi had a frustrating year last season. I expect more from him if the Habs can create stability and insert some more talent.

In terms of contract and trade negotiations... It's business. You look at his average stats and Domi's agent looks at the context I just wrote above. Domi is not just some 50-55 pts forward forever. It don't work like that and he's not he only one. Hoffman on the Sens vs Hoffman on the Panthers is another example.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Askarov is far more of a sure thing than Primeau is.

More higher upside yes. I like Askarov a lot too. But there is no such thing as a sure thing with goalies. I like upside as a better description. Didn't have a great WJC though and Primeau did! US better when Primeau was 19 vs Askarov with the Russians at 17? Very possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad