TBN: Sabres Mailbag: Dahlin's impact on O'Reilly, Ristolainen, Eichel

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
whoa @Chainshot , you're famous!

Sabres Mailbag: Dahlin's impact on O'Reilly, Ristolainen, Eichel

From @Chainshot13: Does the lottery win change Botterill's view of the second pairing being Jake McCabe/Bogosian? And if O'Reilly is moved, who takes the ridiculous D-zone starts from within or who gets acquired to fill some of that usage?

Answer: McCabe has trade value. Buffalo would be able to swap defense depth for forward depth. Adding Dahlin bumps McCabe down to No. 4 among left-handed defensemen behind the rookie, Marco Scandella and Brendan Guhle.

Regardless of O'Reilly's team, Eichel absolutely needs to get better at faceoffs. Winning just 41.5 percent borders on embarrassing. Sidney Crosby knew it was his flaw early in his career, and the Pittsburgh captain worked to become elite. Eichel needs the same desire.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yes. Why would you think otherwise? Great cap #, has played top 4 minutes, young , and a good skater.

Inconsistent play, but he's young. The entire team is inconsistent.
My guess would be 3rd round pick and yeah, that’s trade value but not significant.
What would you be willing to trade for him if he belonged to another team?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
McCabe doesn't have the draft pedigree, but GM's would find him interesting for the same reason they'd find Bogosian interesting (but younger and on a much better contract). A big bodied defenseman that can skate, hit and move the puck... if he reaches his potential. I'm not sure what that gets you exactly and it probably isn't worth moving him... if I had to put a number on it, I bet you could eek a 2nd rounder out of somebody.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My guess would be 3rd round pick and yeah, that’s trade value but not significant.
What would you be willing to trade for him if he belonged to another team?
I think more than Beaulieu. Probably a 2nd, but would be better in some sort of package deal.

I personally wouldn't trade McCabe. He is a good 3rd pairing D. Play him on the right side with Guhle.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
the sad part about these things are they are they only exposure many people get to this team.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If it’s not Doughty-esque, it’s fine to rip.
Yeah but the specific criticisms I'm hearing are shocking to me. This is my captain choice in prior to the season.

The problem with this team has to be lack of a team culture, leadership. Seems like everyone does their own thing.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Has BN ever had a hockey writer that ever played hockey at any level? I can't think of any. Jim Kelley and Vogl never did. Paul Hamilton may be the only member of the local media who's played. That's Hockey Heaven?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Has BN ever had a hockey writer that ever played hockey at any level? I can't think of any. Jim Kelley and Vogl never did. Paul Hamilton may be the only member of the local media who's played. That's Hockey Heaven?

Why should that be a prerequisete???

I know hoe to play the game but I couldn't play organized hockey due to asthma. I also would be to small in todays game (not gerbe small) more closer to Ennis small. I had the natural ability/special skills that I could have pursued something.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Why should that be a prerequisete???

I know hoe to play the game but I couldn't play organized hockey due to asthma. I also would be to small in todays game (not gerbe small) more closer to Ennis small. I had the natural ability/special skills that I could have pursued something.
Where does it say prerequisite?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah well... where’s your journalism degree

Reactions: Ralonzo

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd just take a reporter or two with an ounce or journalistic integrity. Did you know professional journalists have a code of ethics? You'd never know it the way the sports media in buffalo does their job.

Sportswriters aren't held to the same standards as journalists. They aren't journalists. They are essentially entertainment reporters. Their goal is to attract readers, not be accurate or be held to any standards. Sure, they might get ding'd in their reputation for being inaccurate, but in one paper towns like Buffalo, they are only as accountable as the papers circulation.

The only difference between the Buffalo News sports section and TMZ is that TMZ makes money.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sportswriters aren't held to the same standards as journalists. They aren't journalists. They are essentially entertainment reporters. Their goal is to attract readers, not be accurate or be held to any standards. Sure, they might get ding'd in their reputation for being inaccurate, but in one paper towns like Buffalo, they are only as accountable as the papers circulation.

The only difference between the Buffalo News sports section and TMZ is that TMZ makes money.

This is one of the reasons I’m hoping for The Athletic to come here. Subscription based has a lot less of the clickbait stuff

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad