Friedman: Sabres looking to move Scandella

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Huh? Wouldn’t you then want someone who IS exempt from the expansion draft. That way they wouldn’t be able to be selected, thereby making our protection process slightly easier.

Do you expect to get a prospect that good for Scandella that it really matters?
I don't get all this expansion draft talk, you protect your best 10 guys and then you lose someone good anyway. If you don't your depht is probably not good.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Looking for an elite or at least in the vicinity of elite pker. Team comes back from Europe and plays a game every other night for the next month. I doubt anyone in a position of power is eagerly looking to move players prior to that unless it’s for cost controlled upgrades.

Sabres are definitely looking to move D. They have a brutal schedule coming so they’re probably looking to wait until January to start losing defensemen. Scandella has been playing his best hockey since coming to Buffalo and they really aren’t in a position to start throwing out pay raises when they have cheap talent coming up. That’s probably why Scandella talk is happening.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Do you expect to get a prospect that good for Scandella that it really matters?
I don't get all this expansion draft talk, you protect your best 10 guys and then you lose someone good anyway. If you don't your depht is probably not good.

I get that. At the same time I’d like to get as many of the cheap, exempt guys as I can. Buffalo’s forwards prospects aren’t very deep, so that is why I bring that up as well.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Yes but buffalo still keeps $2M against their cap. They don’t have the cap space to do thst. What do you not understand here.

They are currently paying $6.275M for Scandella ($4M) and Vesey ($2.275M), they would be paying $6.25M for half of Scandella ($2M) and Craig Smith ($4.25M). They would save $25k against the cap.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ceci to somebody, Scandella to Toronto, piece Buffalo wants from team for Ceci?

Would give the Leafs the chance to see if Dermott can stick with Rielly on the his off-side.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They are currently paying $6.275M for Scandella ($4M) and Vesey ($2.275M), they would be paying $6.25M for half of Scandella ($2M) and Craig Smith ($4.25M). They would save $25k against the cap.

The other piece is having cap space for deadline trade.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The injury is prime example of why no ones in a rush to trade D.

However, even Gilmore looked decent. Buyer beware, Buffalo might just run a D friendly system because right now there looks to be about 9 NHL caliber D in the system.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
we can do Lehkonen for Scandella. Lehkonen is redundant to us and whoever said Scandella isnt an upgrade on our LHD is out to lunch haha. Most days, i dont even feel Mete is an NHL dman. Kulak has had a poor start to the year and Chariot is still trying to get used to the system. Reilly is a 6/7. Sooo ya. Sign me up to trade a winger we dont need, that doesnt help us for a dman that might.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

Do you think Smith is just off to a slow start to the season or is he starting to trend down in his career?

If he still has close to 20 goal ability this would be a type of deal I would look at. Maybe add a pick since it is a 2 for 1.

But we need an upgrade in our middle-6 RW over Sobotka who is currently playing with Skinner and Johansson. Smith may not be the best but he is definitely an upgrade.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Do you think Smith is just off to a slow start to the season or is he starting to trend down in his career?

If he still has close to 20 goal ability this would be a type of deal I would look at. Maybe add a pick since it is a 2 for 1.

But we need an upgrade in our middle-6 RW over Sobotka who is currently playing with Skinner and Johansson. Smith may not be the best but he is definitely an upgrade.
I have no desire to trade Smith, but he's been playing well, just been snake bit. Finally got his first goal the other night so wouldn't shock me too see him roll off another 3 or 4 rather quick. He's always been streaky.

Reactions: NNCbama

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

I would put Sam there and promote Thompson he is ready

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018

I think Smith's role sort of changed on the Preds this year and he is still adjusting to his new role. He usually played 2nd line RW, but with some of our additions and the way the chemistry worked out, he was sort of shuffled down to the third/fourth line so he just isn't getting the chances he was in past years. IMO he is actually playing a bit better hockey all around this year, but just doesn't have the points to show for it.

Reactions: NNCbama

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
His daily cap hit is actually $21,505 and Vesey's is $12,231 for a total of $33,736 daily cap hit for the two. If you retained half of Scandella's salary($21,505/2=$10,752.50 daily cap hit), trade Vesey and add Craig Smith($22,849 daily cap hit) your daily cap hit would be $10,752.50 + $22,849 = $33,601.50.

People ALWAYS do this and it is getting infuriating. You're counting pennies like it's all equal when it isn't. You have 2 roster spots added and compare them to 1 and say there's a savings of 25k/day. You're completely ignoring the fact that a 2 for 1 roster spot LEAVES OUT ANOTHER PLAYER and their subsequent salary. If you're going to make an argument, at least put in all the work, not just part.

Reactions: 57special and Elvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->