Sabres lines w/O'Reilly now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel like Moulson might click with O'Reilly..

Everyone clicks with O'Reilly.

That might be a hyperbole, but I'm pretty sure I read many of them saying he was much more effective on the wing.

Could be mistaken though.

You must be misremembering. ROR's highest scoring season was on the wing so some people assume that meant he was better on the wing; but he impacts the game so much more at Center. Which is why I'm pretty sure he'll be the 1-2 punch with Eichel and Reinhart will be spending a while on the wing before he can dislodge ROR.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Everyone clicks with O'Reilly.

You must be misremembering. ROR's highest scoring season was on the wing so some people assume that meant he was better on the wing; but he impacts the game so much more at Center. Which is why I'm pretty sure he'll be the 1-2 punch with Eichel and Reinhart will be spending a while on the wing before he can dislodge ROR.

He was also a much better possession player on the wings as well though.

Then again, could have just been the team and coach(I think Roy isn't all that).

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
O'Reilly is on the top line C based on his contract, so management expects him to anchor it.

Kane - O'Reilly - Moulson
Reinhart - Eichel - Ennis
Foligno - Girgensons- Gionta
McGinn - Legwand - Larsson
Ex: McCormick

Might see Gionta on the second line if that unit struggles or failure to produce.

That roster is 5 times better than last year's. What an improvement, exciting times for Buffalo, it makes me happy since I always liked that franchise. They did the rebuild the best way possible.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Still won't make the playoffs but it's a start

a great addition to the thread.

anyways, I think the key is McGinn they have a potential/former 19 goal scorer on the 3rd or 4th line along with Legwand. I think the worst thing Buffalo can do is press-box Deslaurier because he keeps the other team honest and provides energy no one else can unless Foligno goes rookie season beast mode again...We dont have a real enforcer unless Des is in there. I also think he has untapped offensive potential that is being overshadowed by a new found depth at forward here.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
a great addition to the thread.

anyways, I think the key is McGinn they have a potential/former 19 goal scorer on the 3rd or 4th line along with Legwand. I think the worst thing Buffalo can do is press-box Deslaurier because he keeps the other team honest and provides energy no one else can unless Foligno goes rookie season beast mode again...We dont have a real enforcer unless Des is in there. I also think he has untapped offensive potential that is being overshadowed by a new found depth at forward here.

Fun fact: Deslauriers was the only player to play all 82 games for the Sabres this past season.

Which makes it kind of funny that a lot of people putting lines together seem to forget about him.

I think he's earned a spot on this team. On the 4th line.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Fun fact: Deslauriers was the only player to play all 82 games for the Sabres this past season.

Which makes it kind of funny that a lot of people putting lines together seem to forget about him.

Obviously shifted back to D playing the left side on the 3rd pairing.
all problems solved :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I think he's earned a spot on this team. On the 4th line.

I'm not sure that's relevant given that while Des is definitely Ted Nolan's kind of player, the roster is much better now and guys who were playing in our top-6 last season will be getting 4th line roles this year. Also, who goes out of the lineup for him? Foligno? No. Larsson? Highly doubtful, especially after hearing Bylsma say that a lot of people around the league think highly of Larsson. Gionta is the captain, so he stays. The only paths into the Opening Night lineup, besides injury or an unforeseen trade, are (1) Legwand is a healthy scratch, or (2) they send Reinhart to Rochester to start the season. I think the chances of the latter happening are slim to none, at least for the first few weeks of the season. As for the former, while possible, I fully expect Bylsma to give the grizzled vet and PKer an opportunity to show what he can do to start the season.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Kane - ROR - Ennis (seems to be most logical 1st line)
Moulson - Eichel - Girgensons (balance and girgs plays very solid 2way)
McGinn - Larsson - Gionta (Larsson is very solid 3C)
Deslaurier - Legwand - Foligno
ex: McCormick

I dont think they rush Reinhart into the lineup until the first top 6 injury callup, I want to see him start the season in the AHL playing top line mins and PP

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Kane - ROR - Ennis (seems to be most logical 1st line)
Moulson - Eichel - Girgensons (balance and girgs plays very solid 2way)
McGinn - Larsson - Gionta (Larsson is very solid 3C)
Deslaurier - Legwand - Foligno
ex: McCormick

I dont think they rush Reinhart into the lineup until the first top 6 injury callup, I want to see him start the season in the AHL playing top line mins and PP

But he'd be very effective at 3C, and can just displace Girgs in the top 6 when a PP presents itself. All to say, I don't think it would be "rushing him".:dunno:

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
But he'd be very effective at 3C, and can just displace Girgs in the top 6 when a PP presents itself. All to say, I don't think it would be "rushing him".:dunno:

It may end up being the same problem we had with Grigorenko. When he was brought up the coaches just put him with a bunch of grinders and people were shocked he wasn't really able to make his presence known. If Reinhart can't start off with a cast that can really help him develop there won't be much of a point.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
At the end of the year, our #1 line was Moulson - Larsson - Ennis......we've added ROR, Kane, Eichel and Reinhart, plus Girgensons back from injury.

ROR was added first to protect the youngings.

I've also always thought Girgensons was Eichels linemate, tough, talented....a bull.
So my hope.....

Kane - ROR - ????
Girgensons/Eichel - Girgensons/Eichel - Reinhart ---- it just makes too much sense.
Moulson - Larsson - Ennis ---- let the feast! One of best 3rd lines in bbl.
Foligno - Legwand - Des/McGinn
Gionta - McCormick

I think that will be a tough, skilled, nasty lineup through all 4 lines.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Everyone putting Kane on the first line are going to be SEVERELY disappointed

Who would you put ahead of him though? He's not a first line player. He hasn't even been a good second liner for any real stretch. In that group though, he might be on the top line by default.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Who would you put ahead of him though? He's not a first line player. He hasn't even been a good second liner for any real stretch. In that group though, he might be on the top line by default.

I think anyone who has 30 goal potential is at least a second liner. He also plays a heavy style game which is needed in your lineup in order to win, and I believe he is exactly what the Sabres have been sorely lacking for a long time, especially in our top 6. I also believe putting him next to centers like Eichel/Reinhart/O'Reilly will help maximize his ability. Which leads me to my next question, who exactly was he playing with in Winnipeg? Antropov? Wellwood? There's gonna be a big difference in the talent he was surrounded with.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
How dare Evander Kane be one of the best shot producing and possession forwards in the league playing with no Centers his entire career.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I've always been partial to:

Girgensons-O'Reilly-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Ennis
Moulson/Foligno-Larsson-McGinn/Moulson
McGinn/Foligno-Legwand-Gionta

Eichel can slide more to C in the offensive zone, or break out earlier in search of those stretch passes Bylsma loves, a-la Patrick Kane. His speed also translates much better to the wing than Reinhart, and those two are Buffalo's only RH shots in the entire top nine. Reinhart just has to compliment the Kane-Ennis tandem against mismatches. Larsson/Legwand handle supplementary defensive minutes, don't get scored on, and play up the lineup if anyone is having a bad game defensively.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If ROR isn't the de facto first line C next season, Bylsma should be fired immediately. He is a player who's tailor made for tough matchups, and the only other guy on their roster who is even in the same galaxy in terms of experience is Girgensons. Whether you've got Eichel, McDavid, Crosby, or Gretzky, you don't throw a brand new kid into the fire if you have any opportunity to avoid it, and the Sabres have plenty of opportunity to avoid it.

I can't lie... It is enjoyable seeing this statement posted when it doesn't apply to the Pens. :laugh:

JCLiponfanboy*

I think anyone who has 30 goal potential is at least a second liner. He also plays a heavy style game which is needed in your lineup in order to win, and I believe he is exactly what the Sabres have been sorely lacking for a long time, especially in our top 6. I also believe putting him next to centers like Eichel/Reinhart/O'Reilly will help maximize his ability. Which leads me to my next question, who exactly was he playing with in Winnipeg? Antropov? Wellwood? There's gonna be a big difference in the talent he was surrounded with.

He played with Jokinen quite a bit if I remember correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad