GDT: Sabres@Leafs 7 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DZxriHYWsAAwyTb.jpg:large

Monday NHL game preview: Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs

Sam Reinhart and Nazem Kadri high-octane skaters to watch at Air Canada Centre.

Monday NHL game preview: Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

reinhart_leafs_gameday.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Sam Reinhart of the Sabres beats Leafs netminder Frederik Andersen when the teams met in February. The Leafs host the Sabres on Monday night. (Kevin Sousa / KEVIN SOUSA/GETTY IMAGES file photo)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Sun., April 1, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: TSN
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Reinhart/Kadri
Sam Reinhart and the Sabres are coming off their biggest win of the season, 7-4 over the Predators in Nashville on Saturday night. Reinhart had a hat trick against one of the very best teams in the NHL, and scored against the Leafs earlier this season. Leaf Nazem Kadri, who scored against Buffalo last week, enters the night with 31 goals, one off his career high, set last season.
NEED TO KNOW
In Nashville, the Sabres rallied around fallen defenceman Victor Antipin, who was hit from behind by Predators forward Scott Hartnell and suffered a concussion, facial lacerations, a broken nose and dental damage. Hartnell might face a suspension with the playoffs less than two weeks away ... Buffalo scored three power-play goals during Hartnell’s five-minute major (he also drew a game misconduct), two of them by Reinhart. They went 5-for-9 overall on the power play … Buffalo’s Jack Eichel, who had an excellent game against the Leafs last week, picked up five assists in the Nashville contest, tying a franchise record. He has career highs in goals (25), assists (37) and points (62) despite missing 15 games with a sprained ankle … Backup Chad Johnson might get the start in net for Buffalo. He made 39 saves in last week’s 3-2 victory that snapped Toronto’s home win streak at 13.
UP NEXT
Thursday at New Jersey Devils, 7 p.m.

GAME DAY: Sabres at Maple Leafs
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

GAME DAY: Sabres at Maple Leafs

BUFFALO SABRES at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
7 p.m., Air Canada Centre, TSN, TSN Radio 1050
BIG MATCHUP

Rasmus Ristolainen vs. Auston Matthews
While Sabres defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen has had his run-ins with Maple Leafs centre Nazem Kadri, he was no match for Auston Matthews during 5-on-5 play last Monday. Matthews’ line had numerous scoring chances when Ristolainen was on the ice. The Sabres aren’t exactly deep on the back end, and if Matthews can dominate against Buffalo’s best, Sabres coach Phil Housley doesn’t have many options beyond Ristolainen.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Status of Dermott

The Maple Leafs were to learn more on Sunday about the status of defenceman Travis Dermott, who took a shot off the left leg against Winnipeg and did not return. Dermott has not been around long, playing in 36 games, but any absence would create a large hole. One of Andreas Borgman, Martin Marincin or Calle Rosen likely would be recalled.
2. Mac’s last stand
Barring injury to Frederik Andersen, this will be Curtis McElhinney’s last appearance in the regular season, as coach Mike Babcock said the plan is to start Andersen in the final two games. There’s no award for best backup, but McElhinney would be in the running, considering his .933 save percentage. He is 1-3-0 against the Sabres in his career.
3. Mittelstadt making a case
The Leafs will get their first look at centre Casey Mittelstadt, who will play in his third game with Buffalo after signing last week. Mittelstadt undoubtedly will be a large cog in the Sabres’ rebuild, and could be a thorn in the rivalry with the Leafs for years. With two assists already, wouldn’t it be fitting for Mittelstadt to score his first NHL goal in Toronto?
4. All hail Patrick
When the regular season started, Mike Babcock expected veteran Patrick Marleau to score 20 goals. Instead, Marleau has reached 26, and has an outside shot at giving the Leafs four 30-goal scorers for the first time since 1989-90. Two of Marleau’s past three goals have come on the power-play, giving the Sabres something to think about.
5. Attempting to win
The Leafs have won the Corsi battle in each of their three games against the Sabres, but none better than last Monday, when it was 74-41 for Toronto in 5-on-5 play. The 74 attempts tied the second-most for the Leafs in a game this season, though they will have to come with more concentration than they did in a 3-2 loss.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Leo Komarov-Tomas Plekanec-Kasperi Kapanen
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
TBD-Roman Polak/Connor Carrick
Goaltenders
Curtis McElhinney
Frederik Andersen
SABRES LINES
LW-C-RW
Zemgus Girgensons-Jack Eichel-Jason Pominville
Evan Rodrigues-Casey Mittelstadt-Kyle Okposo
Scott Wilson-Ryan O’Reilly-Sam Reinhart
Benoit Pouliot-Johan Larsson-Nick Baptiste
Defence pairs
Marco Scandella-Rasmus Ristolainen
Brendan Guhle-Casey Nelson
Justin Falk-Josh Beaulieu/Josh Gorges
Goaltenders
Chad Johnson
Adam Wilcox
INJURIES
Sabres — D Zack Bogosian (hip), D Jake McCabe (shoulder), D Victor Antipin (concussion), F Jacob Josefson (lower body), G Linus Ullmark (concussion), G Robin Lehner (lower body).
Maple Leafs — D Travis Dermott (leg).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Sabres: 18.3% (22nd)
Maple Leafs: 23.8% (3rd)
Penalty kill
Sabres: 78.2% (23rd)
Maple Leafs: 81.8% (11th)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Guaranteed win night, bet the house.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the Leafs hit the net tonight they win. Or, more likely, someother unforeseen weird sheet will happen and Buffalo will win by 2 goals.

Reactions: glue

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Another meaningless game, hope nobody gets hurt is once again the most important thing.
I don't think this one is meaningless at all, Leafs need to get the Sabre monkey off their backs .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think this one is meaningless at all, Leafs need to get the Sabre monkey off their backs .

Don't really see how this is a pressing issue, I think we can put this off until next year (at least).

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Stammer wasn't in the same pain Dermott was. I wonder if he could have suffered some kind of ankle sprain.

It appears we will be playing TB in the first round of the playoffs and this could be huge if Stamkos is out.
Dermott's injury will be updated soon.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

Atlantic Division No. 2 vs. Atlantic Division No. 3
Lightning:52-22-4, 108 points
  • Games remaining: 4
Leafs: 47-25-7, 101 points
Games remaining: 3
Regular-season series: Lightning win 3-1-0 (Leafs 1-2-1)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It still has no affect if we win or lose this game. Would also love a win to get their playoff mojo going and to even the season series against them but losing doesn't mean too much imo. Leafs are also probably going to start resting guys if they're injured.

Very rare McElhinny start.

Reactions: DarkKnight

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hoping for tonight

• Gards hits 50
  • Magic hits 70
  • Matthews/Nylander get their mojo going
  • Leo looks like a hockey player instead is a sack of potatoes
  • NO INJURIES!!!

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Don't really see how this is a pressing issue, I think we can put this off until next year (at least).
I'd be willing to bet the coaches are going to use that as a reason to get the team up for this game. It would be a very big mistake to take this week off and hope to ramp back up again next week.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'd like to see some of the regulars rested throughout this week. Like a couple guys tonight, another couple Thursday and whoever they can on Saturday, especially Frederik.

Of course I want them to win too, always do, but it's nice to be in a position where the result of the game means absolutely nothing. Has happen so few years in my life I am still trying to comprehend our situation lol

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It appears we will be playing TB in the first round of the playoffs and this could be huge if Stamkos is out.
Dermott's injury will be updated soon.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

Atlantic Division No. 2 vs. Atlantic Division No. 3
Lightning:52-22-4, 108 points
  • Games remaining: 4
Leafs: 47-25-7, 101 points
Games remaining: 3
Regular-season series: Lightning win 3-1-0 (Leafs 1-2-1)

With Stammer out, the series would be a pick 'em.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd be willing to bet the coaches are going to use that as a reason to get the team up for this game. It would be a very big mistake to take this week off and hope to ramp back up again next week.

Nobody's saying take a week off but it's not like we're fighting for a playoff spot though so win, lose, whatever doesn't matter. Stay healthy, rest guys who need it, fine tune whatever needs to be fine tuned etc., these remaining games are basically practices.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Or maybe Toronto should be slight favourites (assuming Dermott's in)?

Perhaps but better to keep pressure of being the favourite on TB. Personally until they hit the ice I have no idea what we are going to get. The Leafs that dominated the Lightning for 2 periods or the Lightning team that pushed back in the third and won the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->